The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   5.0L GT Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/)
-   -   Side exhaust fitment (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/side-exhaust-fitment-546527/)

Eastbaked 1/31/19 01:38 AM

Side exhaust fitment

Hi all,

I have a 2011 GT CS.

I'm looking into exhausts, and recently found out about the 302 side exhaust system. Fell in love instantly, just before finding out it was discontinued and basically a unicorn at that point.

Long story short, I found someone selling the m5220msvt on CL, which if I understand this right is the same side exhaust kit but intended for the gt500.

Looking at the installation instructions the main (only?) difference I see is that the boss 302 (m5220mb) version is bolt on, while the svt version requires cutting to fit the H pipe.

That's a bit less convenient and reversible than the bolt on option, but I was also wondering if it would fit "just like that", or if I'd need to plan additional modifications (cutting/welding to make it work).

Would love to get that exhaust setup, the price is decent but the seller (understandingly) doesn't want to break the set, so if I can make it work just by making a cut instead of a direct fit I could live with that, but my wallet won't let me buy this kit+an additional boss302 H pipe at the moment.

Any thoughts ? Can somebody confirm the fitting ?

Thanks in advance for your help, this forum is awesome, I'm amazed by the members dedication and knowledgeability, already found so much info here !

shaneyusa 1/31/19 07:57 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...526cbef37f.png
If I remember right the GT500 version came with a GT500 H pipe fitted with the extra nipples to mount the side pipes as in the photo. I believe the side pipes were the exact same as the GT version and only the H pipe was different.

Eastbaked 1/31/19 09:53 PM

Yeah that's what I was thinking, not sure the H pipe can be fitted by just cutting it out and using clamps (I think the GT500 has headers with pipes/cat that are not split the same as on the 302/GT, but I should be able to get a GT/302 H pipe (same as GT if I'm not mistaken, direct bolt on instead of having to cut).

I tried looking up part numbers from the GT 500 and Boss/GT kit to see if the side pipes were the same but the only info I managed to find doesn't seem to use the same naming system..

Would be great if the pipes fit, I may get a good deal on CL and then find a H pipe somewhere, and I'm guessing it would have made more sense for Ford to have a single model for the side exhaust, and just different H pipes.

Thanks for your help !

shaneyusa 2/1/19 11:31 PM

Looks like maybe you can still buy the H pipe?

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/pi...aust-6545443-1

And possibly the side pipes too?

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/pi...aust-7822119-1

But it will cost you, big!!! Looks like about $1500 on the Ford parts site. :grin:

Eastbaked 2/10/19 11:11 AM

Yeah I saw that, but wasn't exactly willing to shell out 1500$ ''just'' for a nice exhaust note.
I did however just found a stupidly good deal, and got a used kit for 350$ on my local CL. Comes with the cutouts as well !
So excited to install it, just need to figure out if I go with the switch or get the remotes for the cutouts.
Thanks for helping me out, can't wait to hear how these sound !

shaneyusa 2/19/19 10:44 PM

Congrats! Great find. I think you are going to like it. :nice:

Be sure to update us on this!

Eastbaked 3/6/19 03:24 PM

Update !

Sorry for the late reply, but I finally managed to mount and install nearly everything !

The install at 80k was definitely trickier than these yt videos on near new cars with 0 seized/bent bolt. Ended up having to unbolt at the cat/manifold as the X pipes clamp were too much of a pain to remove.

Had to trim a bit of the plastic shields underneath to clear the side pipes, but everything is now installed.

Manage to wire the cutouts theouth the shifter tunnel and boot, currently printing a custom cover to install the switch in the center console.

After way longer than I expected sitting on the jacks, I started it up, and I instantly knew all that trouble was worth it !

Can't wait to finish the reassembly and try it out on the road.

Will try to post a video update once that happens if I can, need to figure out how to reinstall my rear sway bar links, hopefully that shouldn't be too long !

Thanks to everyone for your help!!

shaneyusa 3/6/19 08:34 PM

Congrats! Glad it all worked out. You will love the sound, at least I love the change it made in mine. :nice:

Mustang Freak 3/7/19 03:21 PM

Took my side baffles out after one week of ownership and never looked back. The sound is awesome and highly addictive. :yup: :nice:

Ponykixx 3/24/19 09:34 AM

Looking forward to the video !

jim010 1/27/20 10:58 AM

I found that the part numbers for the side pipes for the Mustang are NOT the same as those for the Shelby. This would indicate that they are indeed different parts, but I have no other proof other than the part numbers.

Shelby:
CM-5426-WGT500 1 H-Pipe
CR33-5220-AG RH 1 Side exhaust pipe
CR33-5220-BG LH 1 Side exhaust pipe

CR3Z-5B266-A 2 Gasket, H-pipe to side pipe
W710341-S900 4 Nut, H-pipe to side ex. pipe
W714780-S439 4 Bolt, H-pipe to side ex. pipe
010405X 1 Heat Shroud

Mustang:
CR3Z-5246-A H Pipe
CR3Z-5254-B Side Pipe
CR3Z-5255-B Side Pipe
CR3Z-5B266-A 4x Gasket
CR3Z-5H294-A 2x Spacer
CR3Z-5C226-A 2x Restrictor Plate
W714780S439 2x Bolt
5C3Z-17C431-AA 2x Rubber Grommet

jim010 2/28/20 10:36 AM

So no one can add anything?

shaneyusa 2/29/20 04:39 AM

I would have answered, but I have no idea. I did not realize they were different part numbers. I had thought about buying a GT500 kit for mine and swapping the H Pipe when I did mine. I luckily found one of the last sets for the GT on eBay way back when. So I did not have to do that and did not do any more research.

I would guess they are likely different in some way since they don't share a part number, but I am not sure. Someone else will have to chime in on that. The info I had was everything was the same except the H pipe, looks like that is not correct. I do not see any huge difference in the photos, but could be length or mounting differences.

jim010 3/2/20 12:43 PM

Yes, the side pipes do look the same to me, but without having them side by side, there just isn't any way of knowing for sure. But if the part numbers are different, then i would have to assume there is something different about them.