The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   5.0L GT Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/)
-   -   Roush 625hp TVS supercharger kit - questions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/roush-625hp-tvs-supercharger-kit-questions-518927/)

FromZto5 2/21/13 09:34 PM

Roush 625hp TVS supercharger kit - questions

So I've decided to go with this kit...for reasons of warranty, and absence of heat soak. I have a few questions though...

1) warranty - I've looked on roush's site, and they don't list warranty details or how to purchase it. I'm talking about the power train warranty, and front/rear warranty that you can buy from roush. I could care less about the "parts" warranty. I want the warranty for my car. Ay further details on this? And is it published anywhere? I know it's only valid if installed by a certified ford dealer, right?

2) ecu reflash - so does this kit come with an ecu reflash? I know the kit comes with upgraded injectors, inter cooler, etc... But doesn't the ecu have to be reflashed? I'm just wondering if just by having the ford dealer do the install, I don't have to do a special aftermarket tune or anything right? I'm hoping it all comes with the kit, and the dealer knows what to do with it?

3) judging from all the pics I've seen, I part ways with my stock strut bar? (No room)

4) and rubbing issue with the stock 5.0 hood? Will everything line up and hood close easily?

grabberblue 5.0 2/21/13 10:03 PM

Absence of heat soak on a PD blower? Please enlighten me. Not saying its not possible, but I have yet to hear about it

El Fufi 2/21/13 11:10 PM

You do not get the warranty with the 625hp kit. Only with the 575hp kit. For both kits the ECU needs to be sent to roush for reflash.

El Fufi 2/21/13 11:12 PM

You loose the stock strut bar and yes the stock hood will close fine.

Jay@Hypermotive 2/22/13 05:34 AM

You will get heat soak. All PD blowers get heat soak, no warranty with the roush 625 kit or FRPP's 624 kit. Stock strut bar does not fit, but you can use an 05-09 Gt500 strut brace or the FRPP gt500 model as I've ran them both. Hood will close fine, you start running into hood issues with the 3.4 Whipple and larger. If you go with a good reputable tuner like VMP or Lund you won't have to worry about warranty issues. If you install yourself use the money you save on a clutch, it will help prolong the life of your trans. While installing you run into issues give us a call, we can walk you thru it. Its a very easy install, it does take time so be patient.

FromZto5 2/22/13 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive (Post 6559588)
You will get heat soak. All PD blowers get heat soak, no warranty with the roush 625 kit or FRPP's 624 kit. Stock strut bar does not fit, but you can use an 05-09 Gt500 strut brace or the FRPP gt500 model as I've ran them both. Hood will close fine, you start running into hood issues with the 3.4 Whipple and larger. If you go with a good reputable tuner like VMP or Lund you won't have to worry about warranty issues. If you install yourself use the money you save on a clutch, it will help prolong the life of your trans. While installing you run into issues give us a call, we can walk you thru it. Its a very easy install, it does take time so be patient.

Thank you for this helpful post.

After I posted my thread last night, I did more research and realized that the 625hp kit (Phase 2) does NOT come with a purchase-able warranty for the powertrain. Only the Phase 1 575 kit does.

I also called Roush directly and found out a few more things.

1) The Phase 1 Kit has a warranty available for purchase ($375) that covers the engine, power train, etc...for up to $8k liability I believe.

2) This warranty is for 3years or 36k miles FROM DATE OF PURCHASE OF THE CAR... NOT when the kit was installed. This was the biggest shocker for me. In other words, if I decided to get the Roush kit 3 years after I have my car, even with low miles, I essentially get no warranty.

3) Any Roush or Whipple VOIDS the factory warranty. It's the ability to BUY a warranty through Roush that makes it appealing.

4) No warranty on Phase 2 kit. They're talking about offering one some time soon... but not before when I would get it. Sucks. Also, they are planning a Phase 3 kit with 675 hp. Dang.....

5) No issues with the 575 or 625 kit that they have seen.... So I am thinking, if I am going to void the warranty anyways, I might go big... and go 625.

What you all think?

edit my heatsoak comment, I meant to say, it has the "least" amount of heatsoak versus, others, say the Whipple. Or so this is what I've been told and read.

Ponywars 2/22/13 11:33 AM

I would go with the 625 kit,like you said,no warranty so make yourself happy!

black5.0 2/22/13 11:41 AM

If you're gonna void warranty anyway I would DEFINITELY go with VMP! Check out his website, vmp tuning.com. He just released an upgraded roush kit as well with everything included. It's all about the tune with these cars and Justin's tune would be a much better choice than one from roush IMO.

FromZto5 2/22/13 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ponywars (Post 6559759)
I would go with the 625 kit,like you said,no warranty so make yourself happy!

I guess with the Phase 1 575 kit, I could "still" get the warranty... but it would end in 1-1/2 years. Because my purchase date was 11/11.

Originally Posted by black5.0 (Post 6559770)
If you're gonna void warranty anyway I would DEFINITELY go with VMP! Check out his website, vmp tuning.com. He just released an upgraded roush kit as well with everything included. It's all about the tune with these cars and Justin's tune would be a much better choice than one from roush IMO.

This is the first I have heard of VMP. Can you please elaborate? So they have a better tune that box Roush? how so...

And the process for VMP is the same? just box the ECU up, ship it, then ship back?

black5.0 2/22/13 11:56 AM

Go to YouTube and type in Rebecca starkey, the owners wife and you'll see his tuning ability. He kinda specializes in the roush blowers. I personally have a centri but I know that anyone that's tuned by them swears by it. Roush's tunes would be ultra conservative. A vmp tune would be much more bang for your buck. And no sending in PCM. You would get an sct device with his tune on it.

FromZto5 2/22/13 12:53 PM

^ i will do that. Thank you. BTW, your avatar... nice snail in the pic there. What are you running? and the numbers?

black5.0 2/22/13 01:00 PM

Procharger, 677 rwhp:)

black5.0 2/22/13 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 131228

Jay@Hypermotive 2/22/13 01:06 PM

Give me a call. I'm a dealer for VMP, I'll answer any questions you may have.

FromZto5 2/22/13 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by black5.0 (Post 6559818)
Procharger, 677 rwhp:)

That's impressive. Everything else stock?

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive (Post 6559823)
Give me a call. I'm a dealer for VMP, I'll answer any questions you may have.

Thanks Jay... I will do that. What concerns me tho, is the Roush kit already COMES with the tune. I don't have to pay extra for it. So if I buy the roush kit, on top of that, I have to pay for the VMP tune? :( how much is it?

black5.0 2/22/13 01:42 PM

Nothin but the trans(minus clutch and shifter) and the rear end.

FromZto5 2/22/13 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by black5.0 (Post 6559847)
Nothin but the trans(minus clutch and shifter) and the rear end.

wow...so internals are all stock eh?

Also, if I go the FI route, I am worried about traction. For you folks with an SC, do the stock 255's hold up? It might not be fun at all if I wasted $6k on an FI kit, and can't even put the power down....

FromZto5 2/22/13 02:00 PM

also forgot another question... what do all you FI'ers do for insurance? Now that you have at least another $5k into the car, do you tell your insurance to up the value/limits, so you're covered more in the event of an accident or theft?

grabberblue 5.0 2/22/13 02:13 PM

Jayman33 is a stand up guy with a great business, customer service, and pricing. I would definitely go with hypermotive and get the VMP package through them

Mustang259 2/22/13 02:18 PM

Thumbs up for J at Hypermotive, nice guy and won't steer u wrong.