Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Resonator question

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/12, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resonator question

Hey guys, are the resonators in our cars directional? I removed my resonators a while back and re intsralled them recently. I wanted to make your I re installed correctly. Both resonators are smashed in from the factory. Does the smashed half face the front of the car or back of the car? Thanks
Old 2/17/12, 04:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smashed end was towards the rear on mine. Pass. side down, drivers side up. I see nothing to make them directional looking inside mine. Just had mine removed last week.
Old 2/17/12, 07:54 PM

Why do you want to put them back on?
Old 2/17/12, 08:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey guys, thanks for the info! I had them removed and my Roush sounded very distorted and raspy. I decided to put them back on but for some strange reason the sound tone changed a lot comparing to when I first intalled my Roush with resonators. Not sure what else it could be
Old 2/17/12, 10:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're looking for a better sound with the Roush's try looking into an after cat xpipe rather than messing with the resonators. I finally had my FRPP one installed this morning and it sounds a lot better. The raspy/poppy sound is gone. It's more mellow/smooth sounding but yet a deeper bassy growl. WOT is amazing sounding without the obnoxious rasp it had at times. If I had to compare it, think of the older 5.0's with a nice exhaust. The 1% of drone is completely gone and highway cruising is darn near stock silent. I had it installed because fitment is bad on the FRPP ones. I didn't get a chance to do a video yet, but I'll try and get one this weekend.
Old 2/18/12, 05:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
If you're looking for a better sound with the Roush's try looking into an after cat xpipe rather than messing with the resonators. I finally had my FRPP one installed this morning and it sounds a lot better. The raspy/poppy sound is gone. It's more mellow/smooth sounding but yet a deeper bassy growl. WOT is amazing sounding without the obnoxious rasp it had at times. If I had to compare it, think of the older 5.0's with a nice exhaust. The 1% of drone is completely gone and highway cruising is darn near stock silent. I had it installed because fitment is bad on the FRPP ones. I didn't get a chance to do a video yet, but I'll try and get one this weekend.
Thanks Hytek! Will look into the x pipe
Old 2/21/12, 02:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Hytek, did the shop say fitment was off a little?? Who did it and how much?
Old 2/21/12, 08:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Hytek, did the shop say fitment was off a little?? Who did it and how much?
The shop that did it said it was about an 1/8 inch shorter than the stock h pipe. When they first got it on it leaked bad after the cats. They said longer clamps would've helped. The way they got it to fit was by tightening it up at the cats first and then pulling the over axle pipes in to it. It's been about 300 miles since install and no issues. Sounds sexy as hell! Merlin's did the install for $50.

My reccommendation to you and OP, unless you have a lift or experience with these I'd let a shop do it. They fought with it pretty good, I can't imagine trying to do that on jack stands.
Old 2/21/12, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

REALLY DEBATING my exhaust setup here!

I have the GT500's now, but am contemplating these two options:

Option #1: Cut the Resonators and add the JBA 3" H-pipe = $375
Option #2: Buying the ROUSH square tip Axle Backs w/valance (sell my GT500's for $150)= $475

1. Which would be deeper yet louder than what I have now!? I do NOT want high pitch rasp!
2. Which would give better performance!?
Thoughts!?

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 2/21/12 at 08:43 AM.
Old 2/21/12, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

roush with the x pipe---youll be happy with the results
Old 2/21/12, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Uin2it
REALLY DEBATING my exhaust setup here!

I have the GT500's now, but am contemplating these two options:

Option #1: Cut the Resonators and add the JBA 3" H-pipe = $375
Option #2: Buying the ROUSH square tip setup & Leaving the Mid pipe and Resonators alone = $618

1. Which would be deeper yet louder than what I have now!? I do NOT want high pitch rasp!
2. Which would give better performance!?
Thoughts!?
Neither will really add much power and both would be deeper and louder. H pipe will make it louder, especially with no resonators. If you go the roush route, I'd have to say the after cat xpipe is a must. It's deep, no rasp, and sounds killer WOT.

Btw the square tips have grown on me and I wish I would've got them with mine.
Old 2/21/12, 09:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love my square tips!

Once I hear John's car in person, I might get an x-pipe as well.
Old 2/21/12, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c
roush with the x pipe---youll be happy with the results
That's not a cost effective option......if I get a mid pipe it would be cheaper to just keep my GT500 mufflers.
Its either new mufflers / valance........OR ..........mid pipe / no resonators / GT500's.

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 2/21/12 at 10:06 AM.
Old 2/21/12, 11:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Uin2it

That's not a cost effective option......if I get a mid pipe it would be cheaper to just keep my GT500 mufflers.
Its either new mufflers / valance........OR ..........mid pipe / no resonators / GT500's.
PM Steve from PureSpeedMotorsports on here. He's a Roush dealer and might be able to give you a good deal on the exhaust and valance leaving $ left over for mid pipe.
Old 2/21/12, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
2nd this - I have the Corsa after-cat x-pipe rather than the Ford piece and I must say I really like the smoother, more sophisticated sound vs the H-pipe. O, and flow above 4000 RPM seems to be a little better, found that out after showing a modded 335i my taillights.

Last edited by JPMotorSport; 2/21/12 at 05:58 PM.
Old 2/23/12, 05:38 AM
GT Member

Just don't try to run a Roush with no cats and resonators...unless your pain threshold is high.

Mike
Old 2/23/12, 09:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just finished ordering a JBA 3" in 3" out H-pipe from American Muscle!
Going to have my Exhaust shop weld 3" pipe in place of the Resonators when they install the mid-pipe.....

I will report back with sound clips Before and After!
Old 2/23/12, 08:41 PM

Looking forward to hearing the before and after. Thanks in advance for sharing.
Old 2/24/12, 01:00 PM
GT Member

I am replacing the straight pipe where my resonators once resided with 3 inch Dynomax Bullets tomorrow. I am hoping the Bullets will help with the rasp that I have with my offroad X setup, and I would not mind a small reduction in volume. Even with the current mufflers, Dynomax Ultra-Flows, it is a pretty loud setup. Once those cats go.....it is a whole different ballgame.

Mike
Old 2/24/12, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Right now I'm running just hush powers. I like the tone but I want more volume. It seems like resonators will do that but will introduce rasp. Do you guys think just getting the boss quad exhaust will do the trick?

Quick Reply: Resonator question