The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   5.0L GT Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/)
-   -   ProCal to Bama (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/procal-bama-538829/)

samjluck 9/15/15 04:02 AM

ProCal to Bama

So I've had my 14 GT/CS since February. Purchased used and off the get go I was unhappy with the stock tune, suspension and exhaust sound. So over the next couple months I put on a pair of axle backs, full suspension and the ProCal thinking it would be okay. Well fast forward a month or 2 and i'm not pleased with just the axle backs or the ProCal. The exhaust has smashed resonators from when I purchased it (nice certified pre owned right?) so I replaced from cats to tips with the ford racing kit. that in itself was a cluster since Borla really has some QA issues and ford racing is a chore to get warranty claims through. but at the end of the day it gets worked out and i'm good with the sound and still irritated with the crappy tune. the timing chatter that came and went for no reason was really unacceptable, not to mention the constant seek for the right throttle position at low speeds that make the car surge and make you look like a retard driving. so over the labor day weekend I decided to get a bama tune for my sct x3 since i'm past the warranty issue at this point and the tuner is just sitting there since I sold the truck.

So tunes come today and I wrestle through the reloading of the x3 and getting the procal off the car and then the perf tune on and then go for a test ride......

well all I can say from the first brush is WOW. I've owned a few cars in my lifetime and had a few tunes on them and this was a real transformation from the procal. way more responsive, no timimg chatter, slightly higher idle, and pulls way past the procal in all ways. procal full throttle would bark 2nd (6sp, 3:73's) - bama I had it spin all the way to the 2-3 shift where it barked 3rd like it used to do 2nd but a little more. all in all a little more throaty through the exhaust and pulls no matter where I am revs to gear. i'm left wondering what the race tune will be like? I'll just say the first 1-2 rip at WOT was a happy surprise and really made my day.

so in hindsight this was the best 150 I spent on the car since I got it. the poor Pirelli's are going to be short lived for sure. for the first time I feel like the car really has 420hp. and that's coming from having a built lightning that was 470hp/580tq.

and FYI I'm running the stock air box with a K&N and an Airaid intake tube. the hood vents leak on the stock air box and with the dust here in the desert I opted to keep it closed up as much as possible. seem to work just fine with the tune and exhaust together.

thousands of dollars in and finally happy :metal:

edit: win 10 and TMS were not happy with one another and I had to get to a win 7 machine to fix my cut and paste from word that put me directly in grammatical idiotville.

AMAlexLazarus 9/15/15 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by samjluck (Post 6946261)
So I've had my 14 GT/CS since February. Purchased used and off the get go I was unhappy with the stock tune, suspension and exhaust sound. So over the next couple months I put on a pair of axle backs, full suspension and the ProCal thinking it would be okay. Well fast forward a month or 2 and i'm not pleased with just the axle backs or the ProCal. The exhaust has smashed resonators from when I purchased it (nice certified pre owned right?) so I replaced from cats to tips with the ford racing kit. that in itself was a cluster since Borla really has some QA issues and ford racing is a chore to get warranty claims through. but at the end of the day it gets worked out and i'm good with the sound and still irritated with the crappy tune. the timing chatter that came and went for no reason was really unacceptable, not to mention the constant seek for the right throttle position at low speeds that make the car surge and make you look like a retard driving. so over the labor day weekend I decided to get a bama tune for my sct x3 since i'm past the warranty issue at this point and the tuner is just sitting there since I sold the truck.

So tunes come today and I wrestle through the reloading of the x3 and getting the procal off the car and then the perf tune on and then go for a test ride......

well all I can say from the first brush is WOW. I've owned a few cars in my lifetime and had a few tunes on them and this was a real transformation from the procal. way more responsive, no timimg chatter, slightly higher idle, and pulls way past the procal in all ways. procal full throttle would bark 2nd (6sp, 3:73's) - bama I had it spin all the way to the 2-3 shift where it barked 3rd like it used to do 2nd but a little more. all in all a little more throaty through the exhaust and pulls no matter where I am revs to gear. i'm left wondering what the race tune will be like? I'll just say the first 1-2 rip at WOT was a happy surprise and really made my day.

so in hindsight this was the best 150 I spent on the car since I got it. the poor Pirelli's are going to be short lived for sure. for the first time I feel like the car really has 420hp. and that's coming from having a built lightning that was 470hp/580tq.

and FYI I'm running the stock air box with a K&N and an Airaid intake tube. the hood vents leak on the stock air box and with the dust here in the desert I opted to keep it closed up as much as possible. seem to work just fine with the tune and exhaust together.

thousands of dollars in and finally happy :metal:

edit: win 10 and TMS were not happy with one another and I had to get to a win 7 machine to fix my cut and paste from word that put me directly in grammatical idiotville.

Hey Sam - I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying their tunes as much as I do.

Get used to the performance tune for a little bit and then switch over to the race for a weekend just to get a taste.

The Race tune is going to be inherently more sensitive so don't be alarmed if it's touchy.

It's nothing to be concerned about and you'll acclimate to it very quickly. I've had multiple GT's that we have here in bumper to bumper traffic and it was just fine.

Drop me a line when you're looking for you next mods and enjoy.

Alex

14Glassback 9/15/15 01:33 PM

Glad you are enjoying the new tune. FYI all the resonators are "Dented". They are Factory Dented. Why I do not know. But both resonators will have a dent. One on top one on bottom.

Len 9/15/15 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by samjluck (Post 6946261)
...Well fast forward a month or 2 and i'm not pleased with just the axle backs or the ProCal. The exhaust has smashed resonators from when I purchased it (nice certified pre owned right?) so I replaced from cats to tips with the ford racing kit. that in itself was a cluster since Borla really has some QA issues and ford racing is a chore to get warranty claims through. but at the end of the day it gets worked out and i'm good with the sound and still irritated with the crappy tune. the timing chatter that came and went for no reason was really unacceptable, not to mention the constant seek for the right throttle position at low speeds that make the car surge and make you look like a retard driving. so over the labor day weekend I decided to get a bama tune for my sct x3 since i'm past the warranty issue at this point and the tuner is just sitting there since I sold the truck.

What is "timing chatter"? I have the ProCal tune and I don't have that or any surging and it was a big improvement over stock. Not looking to get into a which tune is better thread but I was curious about the "chatter" comment.
I've been considering a new tune out of boredom but the thought of dropping $400 for a tune and tuner for what may not be a significant gain doesn't appeal to me at this time. Glad it worked for you.

samjluck 9/15/15 05:02 PM

I live in a state with 91 octane. the tune is known for octane ping and they will not do anything about it. pending time of year and additives in pump fuel it comes and goes for me. some people get it some don't. in newyork and having 93 you most likely don't see it

I will contend that the procal was better over stock, but not enough for the other little "extras" that came with it. the procal is better down low than stock and almost stock up high, where all other tunes are better all the way across the band. so procal 4500-7000 it just does not pull like other tunes.

I debated it and without already owning the tuner I would have held off, but an glad I did it. procal will go back for a $75 core refund this week :)

and I was not set on any one tune in general, and if this does not work out for unforeseen reasons i'll try another and not be out much. the plan is a supercharger in 2 years so a custom tune on a dyno will enter the picture anyway.

in regard to the dented resonators - the previous owner drove over something as evidenced by the floor pan gouge. went round and round with dealer who claimed it was not there when sold. whatever, full 3" exhaust solved the issue with a little hammering and undercoating. always ask to see the car on a lift when buying used.

Len 9/16/15 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by samjluck (Post 6946359)
I live in a state with 91 octane. the tune is known for octane ping and they will not do anything about it. pending time of year and additives in pump fuel it comes and goes for me. some people get it some don't. in newyork and having 93 you most likely don't see it

I will contend that the procal was better over stock, but not enough for the other little "extras" that came with it. the procal is better down low than stock and almost stock up high, where all other tunes are better all the way across the band. so procal 4500-7000 it just does not pull like other tunes.

I debated it and without already owning the tuner I would have held off, but an glad I did it. procal will go back for a $75 core refund this week :)

and I was not set on any one tune in general, and if this does not work out for unforeseen reasons i'll try another and not be out much. the plan is a supercharger in 2 years so a custom tune on a dyno will enter the picture anyway.

I have never experienced any ping and you're correct, I'm using 93 octane plus an oil separator which is also supposed to prevent pinging.
The only problem I've had was random stalling which seems to have been corrected with a profile relearn. What I don't like about the ProCal tune is the fact that it is what it is. There is really no customer support for it.

samjluck 9/16/15 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Len (Post 6946461)
I have never experienced any ping and you're correct, I'm using 93 octane plus an oil separator which is also supposed to prevent pinging.
The only problem I've had was random stalling which seems to have been corrected with a profile relearn. What I don't like about the ProCal tune is the fact that it is what it is. There is really no customer support for it.

I had the stall thing too and having to force a relearn every now and again seemed crazy to me, but like you said and I experienced - no support. Its super conservative and does a little bit. no more.

ElkGroveFordGuy 9/17/15 10:24 PM

Glad your happy with your new tune!
Not to argue but just more info for the masses!
I have a ProCal tune on crappy CA 91 fuel, with a Moroso oil separator and have no problems!
And I track my car a lot, road corse, auto cross, and 1/4 mi.!
Plus it's my D.D.
Once agin not :stirpot:
Just some more info!