The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   5.0L GT Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/)
-   -   one piece drive shaft suggestions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/one-piece-drive-shaft-suggestions-546286/)

Ponywars 11/1/18 10:55 AM

one piece drive shaft suggestions

been thinking about one for my 2012 gt, been looking mostly at the Steeda aluminum 3.5 inch, anyone using this one or any other brand? SUGGESTIONS

SpectreH 11/1/18 11:54 AM

Steeda makes good stuff. I bought the Driveshaft Shop carbon one for my car from them. No issues.

Bert 11/1/18 12:51 PM

I like the one-piece driveshaft because it is an "efficiency" thing - doesn't make the engine produce more power or burn more gas, but more of the power that it is already making gets to the rear wheels. That said, it is not a huge performance difference; rather one of those "hmmmm, I think I might feel a difference" things. Also they do eliminate a lot of the clunking due to slop in the driveshaft, caused by the extra joints in the middle of the factory set-up.

I think the biggest consideration in buying one is whether you want a CV (constant velocity) joint, or not. Some folks say the CV joint is a must, because it eliminates the "phasing" issues that often cause vibrations with the one-piece shafts. On the other hand, the CV joint does add some slop in the system, they do wear out, and I have heard some say they actually added vibration. Also they cost more.

Without the CV joint, you will want to pay attention to the pinion angle; make sure it is set correctly to minimize the vibrations. You might even want to play with it, to find the best spot . . . for that you need an adjustable rear Upper Control Arm.

I'm pretty sure the Steeda does not have the CV joint. I have a Shaftmasters, which also does not have the CV joint. I actually wore out the slip-joint in a shaftmasters shaft, took about 50K? miles. They fixed it up, for a price. Now it is pretty smooth again, though I do get a little bit of vibration under certain conditions, nothing major, and certainly nothing worse than the other noises that my car makes. (2010 with over 100K miles, fairly loud exhaust, and whiney 3.73 gears)

SpectreH 11/1/18 01:12 PM

My DSS CF unit from Steeda has a CV joint. So far, so good.

EF1 11/1/18 09:20 PM

I have had the Steeda 1 piece drive shaft on my 2011 GT for a couple of years now without any issues. It got rid of some of the clunking under the car and does appear to spin up a little faster. I would put a safety loop on the front half of the shaft in case it ever comes loose it won't dig in and act like pole vault under the car.

Ponywars 11/1/18 09:38 PM

ANY vibration at all under any circumstances, ANY??? Any negatives , ANY???

Bert 11/2/18 03:25 AM

I would be very surprised if you DON'T have ANY vibration right now; it's only a question of HOW MUCH and does it BOTHER YOU or not

1 Alibi 2 11/2/18 08:14 AM

www.axle-exchange.com
Had one on my 11, on the advise of my tuner, no issues after 6+ years..

Ponywars 11/2/18 10:43 AM

thats a 4 inch shaft correct?? i,m lowered 1inch front 1.5 rear any difference in clearance issues between the 3.5 and 4" as far as any problems?any vibrations at all??

1 Alibi 2 11/3/18 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ponywars (Post 7036472)
thats a 4 inch shaft correct?? i,m lowered 1inch front 1.5 rear any difference in clearance issues between the 3.5 and 4" as far as any problems?any vibrations at all??

A 4" shaft.
It's above your exhaust system !!
Metco Motorsports drive shaft safety loop.
No vibration @ all, was installed @ my tuner's shop, along with other mods.
https://i.postimg.cc/zXRZYhtb/IMG-3019.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Nfrjxxgh/Pa-Mustang-show-312.jpg

EF1 11/4/18 11:58 AM

I didn't pick up any vibrations with the Steeda 3.5" one piece aluminum drive shaft. I did lose a bunch of clunking from underneath from the stock drive shaft.

Ponywars 11/4/18 02:08 PM

thats the one i have been thinking about going with EF1, NO NEGATIVES AT ALL BROTHER??????????

EF1 11/4/18 04:05 PM

None, I installed it about 2 years ago have not had any issues. I track the car when I can and it has held up well and seems to spin up faster than the stock piece. I had one minor install issue with the Steeda drive shaft safety loop impacting something under my car. Luckily I was going by Steeda Valdosta on my way to Sebring. I emailed TJ and he arranged for me to bring it by for them to look at it on my way through. I left the bracket on the car, but removed the loop that was hitting. It took their tech about 5 minutes to see the problem. The safety loop was impacting the heat shield on my MGW shifter. I can't expect them to know fitment of everything they make with every other after market out there, but they shimmed the mounting bracket to eliminate the issue and had me on my way. They said that next time they would know about the MGW issue and could help someone with the same problem over the phone. You can see from the mods in my signature block I like Steeda parts. They make good stuff and stand behind what they sell. They have also been really responsive to questions when they come up.

Ponywars 11/4/18 06:01 PM

yeah i have steeda stuff also and like it, steeda sport springs,tri axe shifter and bracket g force brace,torque box brace, intake and 93 oct tune, front and rear sway bars, FANTASTIC customer service!! Harry,TJ,Jiggar, everyone i have dealt with nothing but positive results!

Ponywars 11/5/18 12:49 PM

whats the fastest top end since you ran the shaft was installed?

EF1 11/5/18 06:35 PM

Around 130

Ponywars 11/6/18 08:19 PM

130 and zero vibration, last time i,ll ask you,lol

EF1 11/7/18 08:05 PM

Yes no vibration. Maybe mine is balanced better than some, but I don't sense any vibration in mine. Just go ahead and order it already, but I would probably wait until thanksgiving week now. I am sure they will have a sale that week on all Steeda manufactured parts.

Ponywars 11/7/18 09:14 PM

i,m waiting for the next sale to order along with over axle pipes

Rog13GTCS 11/13/18 06:15 PM

Looking forward to a review to see how you like it. Steeda should have a Black Friday sale on their parts, if you're leaning their way that will save you some.