Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

New Ford Performance oil separator.

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/16, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
First of all.. I never intended to hijack your thread and the reason for my posts was that I had an interest in the possibility of purchasing the Ford Performance oil separator.. However after reading over some of the posts concerning the filter design and procedure for draining I began having doubts about wanting to make a purchase as I was concerned and still am regarding just how effective this new separator will work in keeping crankcase oil liquid from getting past the PCV connector barb at the upper intake..

Therefore it's only inevitable that comparisons are going to be made to other products on the market as to whether or not they're going to work either just as well or any better than what they already have, especially when the product in question hasn't been on the market for very long nor has enough feedback/results to rely on at present..

At any rate, my only purpose for posting on your thread was that I had an interest in the Ford performance separator and not to hijack or start up a thread war..

But make no mistake about it, when it comes to someone who resorts to posting both negative and disrespectful remarks towards my posts just because they don't happen to agree with them, I will do whatever is necessary to defend my opinions and views against any type of personal attack and especially from those who don't have the ability to conduct themselves in a respectful and adult manner when it concerns having debates over a particular topic !
I don't have any problems with the stuff you posted on my thread and I didn't consider your posts a hijack.

As far as how effective this new separator will be, only time will tell. The screen that is used in the Ford Separator is a lot finer then the stainless steel mesh and the perforated disc used in the Bob's can so theoretically, the Ford separator should be more efficient than the Bob's can.

On my Ford separator's, I added the stainless steel scrubbing pad so basically it now has the same setup as the Bob's can with the air coming in toward the bottom of the separator, going through some SS mesh and going through the fine screen and out through the top of the separator. Mine should be even more effective now.

The one negative of the Ford separator is the draining method. The ball valve on the Bob's can is much better.

The Ford separator does have an advantage in that the body of the separator is made of plastic and only gets warm to the touch vs the metal can of the Bob's which in most places in the engine compartment, gets scalding hot. Supposedly the cooler the can/separator is, the more efficient it works.

I will be checking mine again soon as I think I almost have 1,000 miles on it since installing the SS scrub pad.

Wayne
Old 4/5/16, 10:19 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,956 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
I don't have any problems with the stuff you posted on my thread and I didn't consider your posts a hijack.
I really appreciate that, as it also wasn't my intention to turn your thread into a Bob's vs. Ford performance separator comparison, but as I said in my previous post, it's only inevitable that comparisons are going to be made with other products on the market especially with those which haven't been exposed to the market for very long to begin with..

As far as how effective this new separator will be, only time will tell. The screen that is used in the Ford Separator is a lot finer then the stainless steel mesh and the perforated disc used in the Bob's can so theoretically, the Ford separator should be more efficient than the Bob's can.
I really hope your right and if the Ford separator should turn out to be more efficient over the Bob's can ? Then I will purchase one and somehow figure out how to fabricate it to mount on my 06 GT and continue using the Bob's can as a secondary oil separator..

On my Ford separator's, I added the stainless steel scrubbing pad so basically it now has the same setup as the Bob's can with the air coming in toward the bottom of the separator, going through some SS mesh and going through the fine screen and out through the top of the separator. Mine should be even more effective now.
At least in theory.. Yes it should definitely help in being even more effective, so hopefully by adding the stainless steel scrubbing pad, it should indeed be more efficient than the Bob's can..

The one negative of the Ford separator is the draining method. The ball valve on the Bob's can is much better.
This has also been my main concern as well..

The Ford separator does have an advantage in that the body of the separator is made of plastic and only gets warm to the touch vs the metal can of the Bob's which in most places in the engine compartment, gets scalding hot. Supposedly the cooler the can/separator is, the more efficient it works.
I definitely agree as plastic does not heat soak, where as metal is a heat soak magnet.. So in theory I agree the cooler the separator canister is, the more efficient it should work..

In the meantime, I'm going to look into re-locating my Bob's can near the radiator by mounting it on the fan shroud location and perhaps by moving it closer to the radiator and further away from the engine block just might help in keeping the Bob's can at least a bit more cooler

I will be checking mine again soon as I think I almost have 1,000 miles on it since installing the SS scrub pad.
I'll definitely be keeping my fingers crossed and hope the SS scrub pad will really make a difference..

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/5/16 at 11:13 PM.
Old 2/16/17, 10:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Hi y'all, it's time for me to empty my FRPP oil separator so I wanted to post results.

In 2442 miles I extracted a little over two ounces. In the photo below those are two ounce souffle cups. So a little less than an ounce every 1000 miles. I have a 2014 track pack GT and I occasionally run it with the TracKey. It always gets 91 octane gas and Motorcraft 5W-50 oil.
Attached Thumbnails New Ford Performance oil separator.-photo641.jpg  
Old 2/17/17, 08:13 AM

Those 2 ounces look really impressive.. So how's the Ford separator working out in keeping crankcase vapor oil from getting past the PCV barb connectors at the intake manifold ?
Old 2/17/17, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Those 2 ounces look really impressive.. So how's the Ford separator working out in keeping crankcase vapor oil from getting past the PCV barb connectors at the intake manifold ?
I actually can't decide if it's impressive or unimpressive. There are some guys out there claiming to trap like a pint of vapor over 1000 miles with other separators.

I should have known someone would ask about the intake manifold side but I forgot to check. I can check the output side of the separator pretty easily, but it's more involved to get to the manifold connection because the strut tower brace would have to be removed.
Old 2/17/17, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I check mine at the manifold without removing the brace. Lift the top plastic engine cover and release the connector clip. Its tight but can be done. I use a Qtip to check for any oil residue but the coton tip comes out spotless. My separator is mounted to the firewall and I get about an ounce and a half every 3k miles.

Last edited by dusman59; 2/17/17 at 11:10 AM.
Old 2/17/17, 11:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I actually can't decide if it's impressive or unimpressive. There are some guys out there claiming to trap like a pint of vapor over 1000 miles with other separators.

I should have known someone would ask about the intake manifold side but I forgot to check. I can check the output side of the separator pretty easily, but it's more involved to get to the manifold connection because the strut tower brace would have to be removed.
I've seen 8 ounces over 200 track miles captured in my RX Separator at some tracks and on the flip side, as low as 1 ounce over 500 miles for other tracks. It seems to be highly dependent on the track for me. But the oil captured is nasty looking and smelling stuff... makes me very happy I have the separator?
Old 2/17/17, 12:10 PM

The best way to know for sure how well the separator is working, is by checking the PCV connector on the manifold side.. If it's dry, that means the separator is also preventing crankcase vapor oil from entering the intake manifold and combustion chamber, which is the purpose of what an oil separator is really designed for in the first place.. Otherwise the separator isn't really doing it's job to begin with anyhow
Old 2/17/17, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK OK. What I meant was I was willing to check the manifold side of the separator, but not the side of the hose that connects to the manifold. I can access both sides of the separator without removing the cover but to get to the manifold connection I'd have to remove the STB and cover.

I removed the intake side hose at the separator and ran a Q-tip brand cotton swab inside the separator connector as well as inside the hose connector. The picture didn't come out great.

The swab on the left is inside the separator barb and the swab on the right is inside the intake hose. If I recall correctly these hoses come with the kit so they'd have both been clean when the kit was installed.

All I wanted to know was that it was doing something (anything) as I have a 91 tune and can get 91 gas, but just wanted to make sure the octane count is adequate. FRPP says if you get pinging to install a separator and I really liked the OEM quality fit and finish.
Attached Thumbnails New Ford Performance oil separator.-photo115.jpg  
Old 2/19/17, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by dusman59
I check mine at the manifold without removing the brace. Lift the top plastic engine cover and release the connector clip. Its tight but can be done. I use a Qtip to check for any oil residue but the coton tip comes out spotless. My separator is mounted to the firewall and I get about an ounce and a half every 3k miles.
Can you by any chance post some pics with the separator mounted to the firewall ? My car is an 06 GT and if the Ford separator can be mounted in that location, I'll be able to purchase one for my 06..

OK OK. What I meant was I was willing to check the manifold side of the separator, but not the side of the hose that connects to the manifold. I can access both sides of the separator without removing the cover but to get to the manifold connection I'd have to remove the STB and cover.

I removed the intake side hose at the separator and ran a Q-tip brand cotton swab inside the separator connector as well as inside the hose connector. The picture didn't come out great.

The swab on the left is inside the separator barb and the swab on the right is inside the intake hose. If I recall correctly these hoses come with the kit so they'd have both been clean when the kit was installed.

All I wanted to know was that it was doing something (anything) as I have a 91 tune and can get 91 gas, but just wanted to make sure the octane count is adequate. FRPP says if you get pinging to install a separator and I really liked the OEM quality fit and finish.
You also need to check the hose connector at the manifold as well, otherwise your not going to really know for sure if it's stopping vapor oil from entering the intake manifold and combustion chamber..
Old 2/19/17, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

You also need to check the hose connector at the manifold as well, otherwise your not going to really know for sure if it's stopping vapor oil from entering the intake manifold and combustion chamber..
It's too late at this point because (a) the manifold was not cleaned before installing the separator and (b) I've driven the car after emptying the separator.

Not to be argumentative, but why would the results on one end of the hose be different from the other end?
Old 2/19/17, 06:36 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
The Bob's separator is not difficult to install. Mine is on the strut tower and it took less than 1/2 hour to install. The hardest part was getting the fittings off of the stock hose without damaging the hoses just in case you want to go back to stock later without having to buy new ones.
Old 2/19/17, 07:08 PM

It's too late at this point because (a) the manifold was not cleaned before installing the separator and (b) I've driven the car after emptying the separator.

Not to be argumentative, but why would the results on one end of the hose be different from the other end?
It wouldn't be different, so my mistake.. As long as either end is dry leading to the intake manifold, then your separator is doing it's job for which it's purpose was designed for.. In the meantime, glad that everything appears to be working out well with the Ford performance oil separator and also congrats to you as well

Originally Posted by EF1
The Bob's separator is not difficult to install. Mine is on the strut tower and it took less than 1/2 hour to install. The hardest part was getting the fittings off of the stock hose without damaging the hoses just in case you want to go back to stock later without having to buy new ones.
I actually still have my Bob's separator and have it mounted to the firewall rather than the strut tower.. I also use the UPR 4 chamber catch can which I also have mounted the same way as the Bob's separator and switch back and forth between them..
Old 2/19/17, 11:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

It wouldn't be different, so my mistake.. As long as either end is dry leading to the intake manifold, then your separator is doing it's job for which it's purpose was designed for.. In the meantime, glad that everything appears to be working out well with the Ford performance oil separator and also congrats to you as well I actually still have my Bob's separator and have it mounted to the firewall rather than the strut tower.. I also use the UPR 4 chamber catch can which I also have mounted the same way as the Bob's separator and switch back and forth between them..
Thanks. Bob's was my choice until I heard FRPP was making a piece. I've heard nothing but praise for Bob's.

I guess UPR has done some redesign and in the process I had trouble understanding whether they worked or not... I'd imagine they have any bugs worked out by now.

For those finding this thread and considering the Ford Performance separator, I can't say the swab was "dry" (see pics). However, for the OEM look I'll take a little pass through.

One more thing... I read on another thread that the overall capacity of the FRPP separator is 6 oz. If I'm getting 1 oz every 1k miles, depending on your oil, driving habits and comfort level with oil use, you might have to empty the separator at like 5k which might be before your scheduled oil change.
Old 2/20/17, 01:48 PM

The swab doesn't necessarily have to be completely dry.. Just as long as you don't see any actual liquid..
Old 2/20/17, 05:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

The swab doesn't necessarily have to be completely dry.. Just as long as you don't see any actual liquid..
OK. Then I'm more than satisfied.
Old 2/20/17, 10:11 PM

I use a Qtip to check for any oil residue but the coton tip comes out spotless. My separator is mounted to the firewall and I get about an ounce and a half every 3k miles.
Can you by any chance post some pics with the separator mounted to the firewall ? My car is an 06 GT and can't be mounted on the strut tower.. So if you could post pics showing how you mounted it to the firewall, I'd really appreciate your feedback and support..
Old 2/23/17, 07:45 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Ah, I see we are still having discussions about Oil Sep's.

I have had my firewall mounted Bob's for over 2 years now I think. Very happy with it. Speaking of which, I have to empty mine this spring.
Old 2/23/17, 08:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Firewall mounting. Sorry but the images were not sideways when uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails New Ford Performance oil separator.-20130811_164952.jpg   New Ford Performance oil separator.-20130811_165045.jpg   New Ford Performance oil separator.-20130811_164932.jpg  
Old 2/23/17, 01:12 PM

Firewall mounting. Sorry but the images were not sideways when uploaded.
Apparently I misread your original post, as I thought you meant you mounted the Ford Performance Separator to the firewall

At any rate, I see by the images you posted that it's not the Ford separator but appears to be a UPR or some other separator.. Anyhow I have the UPR 4 chamber separator which I have remotely mounted to the firewall !