5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MT82 stupid clutch pedal placement SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/12, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just ordered mine, i noticed the same issue when i test drove a 2012
Old 4/11/12, 05:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I may need to get this...I am only 5'9" and feel like I have to move seat way up to comfortably depress the clutch. You are right though...seems like a lot for this...maybe there will be other makers soon which will lower the price....
Old 4/11/12, 07:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

A persons height would have no bearing on the placement on the pedals.
Old 4/11/12, 08:05 AM
Cobra Member

I just ordered one...besides all of the other problems with knees hitting things and uncomfortable positioning, etc,I also noticed when I exited the car, if I forgot to move seat back I was always kicking the door panel when i swung my legs out.
Old 4/11/12, 08:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by going for broke
Placement probably not, but theres absolutely a correlation to pedal height.

Im 5'10"/175# and have to have my knees 1-2" from the dash to properly engage the clutch in an '07. Doubt the '13 will be much different so Ill def be looking at this.

Last edited by wheelman; 4/11/12 at 08:14 AM.
Old 4/11/12, 10:50 AM
Bullitt Member

The travel on the clutch is a bit excessive as compared to the brake pedal. I'm 5'9" and I have issues getting it all the way down to get in First. I like them being the same level but you really got to go to the floor with the clutch pedal and this device does help. I have this on my list to install but am concerned about the astetics and the raised start of the travel may become an issue. Ford, are you listening? Adjust the take up on the clutch or, make it so all the pedals are adjustable on a single fulcrum LOL! The later would make it so you could have the seat further back which would be really nice if we had telescoping steering colums.
Old 4/11/12, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got mine.
Old 4/11/12, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe not, but a person's height is - generally - directly proportional to one's leg length [inseam], and one's leg length has every bearing on the placement of the pedals.
Old 4/12/12, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18

Maybe not, but a person's height is - generally - directly proportional to one's leg length [inseam], and one's leg length has every bearing on the placement of the pedals.
My point was the pedals don't line up with each other so it does not matter if your 5' or 6' you'd still encounter the same problem.
Old 4/12/12, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

My point was the pedals don't line up with each other so it does not matter if your 5' or 6' you'd still encounter the same problem.
Fair dinkum.
Old 4/14/12, 11:27 AM
Cobra Member

Got mine today...took less than 5 minutes to install....just let the rubber pad heat up in a bucket of hot water and it goes back on rather easy...was harder taking it off than putting it back on. Yeah, I also had to stop and think..."this is about 25 cents worth of plastic that I just spent $50 on"....but if it works I guess it is worth the money.
Old 4/14/12, 11:30 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why does your clutch pedal need to be pushed to the floor?

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 4/14/12 at 11:31 AM.
Old 4/14/12, 09:26 PM
GT Member

why not install a hand controlled throttle from a handicapped persons car, it might save your right foot in the long run....lol!!
Old 4/15/12, 06:43 AM
Cobra Member

It actually is nice for us "shorter" people to be able to sit back a bit and shift rather than having to pull up so close to the dash. I am only 5'9" and my knees were right up to the dash and my legs were bent quite a bit just to be able to shift easily. Now I am farther back, once I got used to it i feel I actually shift more smoothly now than before. I also don;t kick the door panels getting out like I did when i didn't remember to slide the seat back before exiting. All in all a good product that serves it's purpose...
Old 4/19/12, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
6'2" , 210 lbs no issues at all
ditto
Old 4/19/12, 08:42 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye18
I curse the idiot who decided that putting the clutch pedal nearly even with the brake was a good idea.
I've never heard of a 'lift' for a clutch. Fact in a few old rigs I've seen the clutch pedal higher (usually pickups) I thought something was wrong.

All my sticks the clutch have been even with the brake. Olds 442, Land Cruiser's, British roadsters, Saturns, F150, Jimmy 2ton Cattle truck, Mustang.

I have read of some guys getting the pad for the side of the console for their right knee though. But whatever works.

Originally Posted by Flagstang
im 5'8 and havent had a problem. I have you guys tryed lowering the front of the seat and rasing the rear?
I'm 5'7"/154 and mine is perfect. I've had lower back and hip issues (from workmans comp injuries and then having to drive the coffee truck all day after PT/chiro) and so a 5-6 hr drive was my limit. Shortly after getting Bull I drove a loop over to the coast, up, then came inland over the mountains and down the freeway - 8 hrs with only pee breaks. I couldn't believe I wasn't hurting!

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/19/12 at 08:45 AM.
Old 4/19/12, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well again, obviously this extension isn't going to be the solution for everybody - nor is this even a problem to begin with for some.

What I do know, though, is that so many people have bought the extension (and sent me emails/PMs thanking me for alerting them to it) that Kevin Bondra, the guy that runs the company, also wrote me a thank you letter for all the free advertising, and the massive increase in sales.

The way I see it, this isn't a mod. It's a fix. A TSB, if you will. It doesn't apply to all cars - or all drivers. But for the ones it does apply to, it's a thing of beauty.

A week and change later, and I'm happy to report that even though that stupid clutch pad is finally falling apart (is that a warranty thing? Can I take it to the dealer and make them replace it? That ****'s like $45), the extension still feels as natural as can be. I still have to move the seat back and forth depending on whether I'm wearing my work boots or loafers, but I don't think anything's going to fix that. a 1.5" thick sole vs. a .5" thick sole will do that.
Old 4/25/12, 10:51 AM
GT Member

Thanks so much for posting this. I find myself adjusting my seat at least twice a day and having my keys rub against my right knee (it's like water torture) I could never find the proper balance of comfort and clutch access. I will def be ordering this.
Old 4/25/12, 02:52 PM

Got mine the other day, too.

Guys:

As soon as I read the first post in the this thread, and went to the website to see what it was about, I realized this is a problem I was experiencing and there was something that would solve it. I ordered 2 of them. ( 1 for my car, the other for brother with a Boss ). They came nice and quickly via US Mail, and the install is about as easy as anyone could imagine.

And it does exactly what it is supposed to do: the "feel" between the pedals is now the way it should be. I don't have to pull the seat up as far, and if you're experiencing what I'm describing, and agree that something is just not right with the clutch - gas pedal distance relationship versus where you have to sit, you want to get one of these.

Here's a couple of observations:

1. Price does appear to be high for what you get in terms of the "hardware". But since they are the only ones offering it right now and thus first to market, early adopters like me will have to pay a premium.

2. After driving the car for 6 months without this extender on the clutch pedal, it does feel funny for the first week or so, but my son, who is about 6-3 ( I'm 5-10 ), got in the car the Sunday to drive it, adjusted the seat as he normally does and drove all the way home from the Fabulous Fords Show and didn't comment at all that something was different. I asked him when we got to his place, did he notice anything funny or odd with the pedals, and he said "no". Issue resolved!

3. Based on some of the other commetns, the "problem" isn't universal among all us drivers, and so as has been noted before: if the pedal distances don't bother you, you do not need to buy this item. Make sense ?
Old 4/25/12, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey White! I was at the show too - wish I had known. I would have liked to check it out. I'm in San Diego as well so maybe we can meet up sometime. I drop in on the Gearhead Rendez-Vous at Waring Road on the 1st Saturday of the Month. Been looking at this since I'm a "shorty" too (5'9").

Quick Reply: MT82 stupid clutch pedal placement SOLVED