5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MGW Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/11, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MGW Shifter?

Has anyone installed their test units or have any reviews of the units?
Old 9/25/11, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone I have spoke to absolutely loves theirs. I have been on a waiting list for 2 months for mine.
Old 9/25/11, 07:54 AM
Bullitt Member

On the list, too... can't wait! The installation videos are very well done.
Old 9/25/11, 06:30 PM

I was between the MGW and the Steeda Tri Axe and I went with the Steeda. Lot of great reviews for both shifters, but I got a discount from Gus on the Steeda shifter. Easy to install, great service, and it has reduced the throw tremendously. It was still a little bit cheaper without the discount.

Very happy with Steeda, and I am sure you will be happy with whoever you choose.
Old 9/25/11, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I almost got the tri-ax until my steeda guy recommended the MGW... Lol... Now I have to wait too...
Old 9/25/11, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I thought about getting the steeda as well. Ive been having the notchy, and grinding from 1st through 3rd and now first thing in the morning it won't go into first or reverse till I shift into one of the other gears first. It's getting very aggravating.

I like how the MGW replaces the whole shifter box assembly and the bracket is a part of the shifter where the bracket on the stock shifter and on the Barton and Steeda are a separate piece. So really when you get the MGW your buying the Shifter and Bracket. Where the others you have to count the price of the bracket and shifter.

It looks like a crafted piece of artwork as well! Not trying to sell anyone on the MGW or anything! The Steeda and Barton shifters are nice as well.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ll-review.html
Old 9/25/11, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I lol'ed at this alot!

"The stock rear support bracket is composed primarily of soft rubber, zip-ties, and fail."
Old 9/25/11, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RobDis
I lol'ed at this alot!

"The stock rear support bracket is composed primarily of soft rubber, zip-ties, and fail."

Too funny!

MGW all the way. Dedication to making the best product possible is what they do.
Old 9/26/11, 06:37 PM
GT Member

I dont own a MT on my 5.0. If I did I would have an MGW in it. I have had several Mustangs and all had an MGW in them. Georges' products are of the highest quality and personally stands behind every product.
Old 9/26/11, 06:52 PM

I have #50 of the 50 pre production shifters. I replaced the Barton shifter and bracket with it
It is the best shifter on the market. The 2nd to 3rd engagement is amazing.
Old 9/27/11, 03:28 AM
GT Member

anybody have a link handy to a shifter install thread for the 5.0?

Is it relatively easy? I changed out the shifter in my old focus and that was cake but on my 09 GT it was a little more complicated....
Old 9/27/11, 06:32 AM
Bullitt Member

There are videos on the install in the link above to SVTPerformance.com. It looks pretty easy, even easier than the install on my 06'.

JR
Old 9/27/11, 09:41 AM
GT Member

rog, i'll look them up when im back in the states. connectivity sucks here! Easier vs a 06 is good to hear though....thanks!
Old 9/27/11, 02:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When replacing the stock shifter with a MGW, does Ford void any warranty.?
I wouldn't think so, but figured I'd ask I'm really thinking about upgrading.
Old 9/27/11, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord

Not sure why they would. I'm also curious about this because I'll be adding one of these shifter assemblies as well.
Old 9/29/11, 12:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord

Here is a good read about aftermarket parts and warranties I snagged from fastwrx.com

"As with many things, the answer is...it depends.

The
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says that a manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim because of an aftermarket part, unless the part in question actually CAUSED the problem that the warranty claim is about.

That means that if you install aftermarket shocks, and then your turbo blows, the manufacturer cannot deny you warranty coverage on the turbo. (Unless the shocks somehow directly caused the turbo failure, which defies reason.)

But if you install an ECU chip upgrade that increases turbo boost, and then your turbo fails, the manufacturer could probably deny your claim. It is reasonable to think that increased boost could lead to a turbo failure. (That doesn't mean it does...we have not seen a single turbo failure attributed to an ECU mod.)

Of course, that's just the law. Reality is that the dealer can make life awfully hard on you if you pull in with your lowered car and they decide they're not going to cover your turbo failure just on principle. While the law is on your side, the dealer service department may or may not be. For that reason, we suggest you get to know your local service manager. Be honest with him or her; ask what is the department's policy on aftermarket modifications and warranty service. You'll find a range of stances, from super-conservative ("We don't work on modded cars, ever") to liberal ("Yeah, we even install turbo upgrades here at the dealer!"). Find a service department you can live with.

Note that we do NOT endorse any kind of deception in terms of warranty coverage, including parts-swapping or any other "mod reversal" to try to gain warranty coverage. If you buy an aftermarket part and it causes a problem, it's YOUR problem, and there's no reason the manufacturer should pay for it. If you are modifying the car, be mature and face up to the consequences if the mods DO cause a problem. (For more help on dealing with a warranty repair, see the
SEMA web site.)

It sounds simple enough on paper, but there are lots of fuzzy gray areas. What about a clutch problem on a car running higher turbo boost? What about transmission trouble? What if your front ball joints give out and the car is lowered? Did the lowering cause the problem? Or does it happen on lots of non-lowered cars? Be prepared to make your case, and be prepared for the decision to not be in your favor at times. If you really love your warranty and never want to pay for your own repairs, we recommend NOT modifying your car at all.

But if you want to have a fun time taking a great car and making it better, the way YOU think it should be, and you're willing to take your warranty lumps if they happen, then you're our kind of car owner."

Unless the manufacturer can show that the part directly caused the problem with the car, its gonna be covered. And if they do in fact show that, in this case, your aftermarket shifter caused something to go wrong with your car then it i s only fair fro them not to cover it. Just my .02
Old 9/29/11, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good info. Thanks for posting.
Old 10/1/11, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

So when will the testing be complete and the actual units start production?
Old 10/1/11, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Uin2it
So when will the testing be complete and the actual units start production?

The first 50 units have already been released. After getting feedback, MGW decided to redesign to boot design.

MGW said the new boots were going to be done in about a week then they'd be releasing the next back. Only 100 units this time.

George from MGW only releases a small amount at a time due to getting ALOT of feedback from all of us and he'll tweak the design until it's absolutely perfect. I'd call MGW and get your name on the list before all the slots are taken and you have to wait for the next batch.
Old 10/1/11, 09:25 PM

Im on the list and waiting for the call. I was on the fence about the steeda because I have their **** and adapter. But I will go the MGW route based on their reputation. And my steeda **** and adapter will fit because it is stock spec. I cant wait to get my call!

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter?