Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

LS X-Brace...

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/11, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS X-Brace...

Wow...$1722.33. That's a hellava deterant...was considering adapting one to a GT. I can park that idea as far as getting an OEM part.
Old 8/10/11, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

All I can say to that is... ****!!! I thought about going a similar route in regards to obtaining the adjustable struts/shocks and higher rate springs offered on the Boss 302's, but it looks to be out of the question for now.
Old 8/10/11, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ExVP
Wow...$1722.33
Oh, F THAT
Old 8/10/11, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where'd you find the price? Link?
Old 8/10/11, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by J Tennu
All I can say to that is... ****!!! I thought about going a similar route in regards to obtaining the adjustable struts/shocks and higher rate springs offered on the Boss 302's, but it looks to be out of the question for now.
Oh don't do that... you can do about 100 times better for a lot less aftermarket. Boss springs aren't lowered at all, and aren't that much stiffer than stock. And the dampers are Tokico *Illumina's* that have been around since the dawn of time, not even the D-specs which are much better (though still not Koni's). Don't get sucked into the hype guys. If you had to run a bone stock car, and only a stock car, then yes there are things suspension wise that are "better" on a Boss... but most of us don't have that limitation. Best thing about a Boss is the engine, by a mile as that's not nearly as inexpensive to better.
Old 8/10/11, 06:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
Oh don't do that... you can do about 100 times better for a lot less aftermarket. Boss springs aren't lowered at all, and aren't that much stiffer than stock. And the dampers are Tokico *Illumina's* that have been around since the dawn of time, not even the D-specs which are much better (though still not Koni's). Don't get sucked into the hype guys. If you had to run a bone stock car, and only a stock car, then yes there are things suspension wise that are "better" on a Boss... but most of us don't have that limitation. Best thing about a Boss is the engine, by a mile as that's not nearly as inexpensive to better.
Interesting that the Boss uses Illuminas. How'd you confirm that? Presumably they're not marked as such. Just wondering.
Old 8/11/11, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I hear what you are saying... I understand, totally. Like the gentleman looking at the LS X-Brace, I was looking at a possible option on improving on my car's suspension without the necessity of lowering springs(can't do it due to city street conditions), taller ball joints, and bump steer kits(due to suspension geometry changes). Correct me if I'm wrong, but lowering a car doesn't always make a car handle better than stock... unless you do it right. I know you know, Sam, but a few out there lowering their rides more than 1" without additional suspension mods I see as diminishing handling(and steering) capabilities.

On that note, I(like some others) have already added a few Boss 302-specific parts with a few more on the way. Before I start jumping into any suspension changes, I need a few things answered... like why did Ford engineers change the strut mounts and the strut stalk length(shorter) compared to the 2010 'stang GT's? What set-up can give me crisp handling manners without losing too much ride comfort? What's the lowering limit before one has to factor in ball joints and bump-steer kits to correct suspension geometry changes?
Old 8/12/11, 02:14 AM
GT Member

wow,

sam i follow you on many forums. and you are correct. i have to ask about this.

you have the talent! but really would you get anything from it.. the x brace.

btw, to those following this thread. get good shocks. and go from that point.

beers
Old 8/12/11, 05:41 AM

The Boss shocks and struts are ANOTHER sore spot...pushing $1800 or so for a set from Ford. At least what is published price-wise in Fordparts.com. Not sure about the variant version for the LS, couldn't spot a different p/n or nomenclature that breaks those out.
Originally Posted by J Tennu

Last edited by ExVP; 8/12/11 at 05:42 AM.
Old 8/15/11, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

How do I know they are Illumina's? I've sold Tokico for a long time, it's very obvious. Now you can't buy an Illumina for the car, they were never made for the aftermarket (likely because they are not nearly as good as D-specs which are much newer and have a lot more range in them). But they have the tooling and seems Ford wanted something different for the Boss, so wham-bam, there you go.
Old 8/15/11, 11:08 AM
GT Member

How do I know they are Illumina's? I've sold Tokico for a long time, it's very obvious. Now you can't buy an Illumina for the car, they were never made for the aftermarket (likely because they are not nearly as good as D-specs which are much newer and have a lot more range in them). But they have the tooling and seems Ford wanted something different for the Boss, so wham-bam, there you go.
Gotcha, thanks for the info. Again, I wasn't questioning your claim that they are Illuminas, just wondering about the background info.
Old 8/15/11, 12:04 PM
GT Member

I love my D-Specs. I've put about 350 miles on them so far and they are great. It did take a few test drives to set the dampers were I like them. These work very well with my Steeda Ultra Light springs. no complaints here!

Is the Laguna Brace made of melted silver bullion? 1800.00 is crazy...