Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Long Tube Header Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/17, 05:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Long Tube Header Comparison

My car: 2013 Mustang GT PremiumA/T, w/ 3.15 final gear ratio, Steeda 3.5" Aluminum Drive Shaft, TorqueBox Brace, In Trunk Steeda X-Brace, Steeda Front shock Tower Brace, VariousSteeda Billet Caps.

Steeda purchased Engine and Exhaust Mods:

1. Boss 302 Intake.
2. Steeda CAI.
3. BBK X-Pipe from Steeda.
4. Roush Axle Backs.
5. SCT X4 Tuner with 93 Octane tune from Steeda (KillerTune BTW).

I'm looking at Long Tube Headers, Can't decide between Kooks (Expensive butnice), BBK Ceramic (Good Price), American Racing (Again Pricey). How do they compare to each other? I'm looking for more HP on the top end.

I'm also on the fence with X-Pipe vs H-Pipe, I put theBBK X-Pipe on and it sounds good but a little raspy, I'm being told to go to aCatted H-Pipe to regain more of a traditional muscle car rumble, Fact orFiction? Would it give up performance?

On Kooks Catted H-Pipe vs Kooks "GREEN" CattedH-Pipe, What's the difference between the two? I don't want a "Check Engine Light" coming on all the time.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 3/22/17, 07:26 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by tourer
I'm also on the fence with X-Pipe vs H-Pipe, I put theBBK X-Pipe on and it sounds good but a little raspy, I'm being told to go to aCatted H-Pipe to regain more of a traditional muscle car rumble, Fact orFiction? Would it give up performance?
Yes, the H will give you the traditional muscle car rumble. I believe X pipes provide more power on the top end, but less in the lower end. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.
The following users liked this post:
tourer (3/23/17)
Old 3/22/17, 08:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Originally Posted by tourer

I'm looking at Long Tube Headers, Can't decide between Kooks (Expensive butnice), BBK Ceramic (Good Price), American Racing (Again Pricey). How do they compare to each other? I'm looking for more HP on the top end.

On Kooks Catted H-Pipe vs Kooks "GREEN" CattedH-Pipe, What's the difference between the two? I don't want a "Check Engine Light" coming on all the time.

What are your thoughts on this?
Have Kooks on both cars:
2011 - 1 3/4", " green " catted X pipe, stock mufflers.
2014 - 1 7/8", " green " catted X pipe, stock mufflers.
A catted H pipe will give you more of a muscle car rumble.
There may be a 1 or 2 hp difference between the X & H pipe design, in favor of the X.
The Kooks " green " cats are 49 state legal.
My 11 threw codes with their standard high flow cats, my tuner turned off the 02's. The car was due for inspection July 2014, had the " green " cats installed, 02's turned back on & passed inspection with no issues.

Last edited by 1 Alibi 2; 3/22/17 at 08:07 AM.
tourer (3/23/17)
Old 3/22/17, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
H pipe will give you the muscle car throaty sound, X will be more raspy. I dont know how much performance difference there is between the 2.

I believe with Long tubes you will need a tune.
tourer (4/3/17)
Old 3/22/17, 07:02 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I was contemplating some of the same issues last year and ended up holding off on headers. I happened to visit the Kooks factory and picked up a cat back system and haven't gone any further on the exhaust. The Kooks rep said the x pipe usually edges out the h pipe by 3-5 horsepower. The green cats are expensive but 49 state legal as was previously mentioned. This is due to a higher platinum content in the catalyst which allows it to pass emissions better. It also holds up to higher temperature and will not burn out as fast on cars with forced induction.
tourer (3/23/17)
Old 3/23/17, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Long Tube header Comparison

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
H pipe will give you the muscle car throaty sound, X will be more raspy. I dont know how much performance difference there is between the 2.

I believe with Long tubes you will need a tune.

Yes, Your right, It will need a different tune, I have the X4 from SCT and Lifetime Tunes from Steeda.
Rog13GTCS (3/23/17)
Old 3/23/17, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by EF1
I was contemplating some of the same issues last year and ended up holding off on headers. I happened to visit the Kooks factory and picked up a cat back system and haven't gone any further on the exhaust. The Kooks rep said the x pipe usually edges out the h pipe by 3-5 horsepower. The green cats are expensive but 49 state legal as was previously mentioned. This is due to a higher platinum content in the catalyst which allows it to pass emissions better. It also holds up to higher temperature and will not burn out as fast on cars with forced induction.

Thanks for the input, I'm leaning toward the Kooks Green Catted X-Pipe with the Kooks 1-3/4 Long Tube Headers, I hope that will work with my naturally aspirated engine. I'm looking for more on top than down low, so this seems to be the way to go. I wonder if I'll even feel the power difference. I have an Off-Road X-Pipe on now, after the factory cats, with Roush Axle Backs, Kind of Raspy sounding but sounds awesome past 4000 rpm, more of a Lamborghini Aventador sound. I'll see how she goes on a flying mile timed run.
Old 3/23/17, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Gents, what is a Green Cat and how is it different than a regular Cat?
Old 3/23/17, 06:43 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Kook's sells what they call green cats. They are more expensive (about double) the regular high flow cats due to a higher platinum content in the catalyst. They recommend them for forced induction set ups and in situations where you need to pass emissions tests.
The following 2 users liked this post by EF1:
Rog13GTCS (3/23/17), tourer (3/24/17)
Old 4/3/17, 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by EF1
Kook's sells what they call green cats. They are more expensive (about double) the regular high flow cats due to a higher platinum content in the catalyst. They recommend them for forced induction set ups and in situations where you need to pass emissions tests.
Platinum is expensive, It's going for $959.00 a Troy ounce today on the Precious Metals Market.