Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Kook's GREEN Catted H-Pipe, O2 Sensors

Old 6/23/17, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry Kook's GREEN Catted H-Pipe, O2 Sensors

Having Just purchased and had installed, Kook's GREEN Catted H-Pipe on my 2013 Mustang GT, They cost $525.01 MORE compared to Kook's regular catted H-Pipe. These supposed GREEN Cats now, I have to turn off the Rear O2 Sensors because they ARE NOT actually GREEN as advertised. The engine throwing code P0420 & P0430, WTF!
Anyone else have this issue? FRIGGIN RIPOFF!
Old 6/23/17, 08:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
who's tune are you running?
Old 6/23/17, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
who's tune are you running?
Steeda 93 Octane Tune, done by Matt Henschke. It friggin RIPS! I have an SCT X4 Tuner.
Old 6/23/17, 12:17 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by tourer
Having Just purchased and had installed, Kook's GREEN Catted H-Pipe on my 2013 Mustang GT, They cost $525.01 MORE compared to Kook's regular catted H-Pipe. These supposed GREEN Cats now, I have to turn off the Rear O2 Sensors because they ARE NOT actually GREEN as advertised. The engine throwing code P0420 & P0430, WTF!
Anyone else have this issue? FRIGGIN RIPOFF!
Have you contacted Kooks about this ? That would be the first thing I'd do and also tell them about the engine codes being thrown.. If they don't find a solution, then I would request having Kooks issue you an RMA # and return the green catted mid pipe for either a replacement or exchange towards their regular catted mid pipe along with refunding your $525.01 purchase price for the green mid catted H..
Old 6/23/17, 12:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Yeah for sure a call to Kooks is in order. Hopefully they can get it straightened out for you.

What do those codes mean?

Pretty sure the cats have to be good and hot and also you have to complete a few "drive cycles" before the O2's will show "ready."

Also, even experienced tuners get this O2 stuff wrong in their tunes quite often, apparently it's kinda tricky, so it could be the tune. Was the tune written for those cats and those O2 sensors?
Old 6/25/17, 09:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Have Kooks " green " catted X pipes on both cars, my 11 has been through state ( N.J. ) inspection twice with no issues..
Your issue may be tune related !
Old 6/29/17, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bert
Yeah for sure a call to Kooks is in order. Hopefully they can get it straightened out for you.

What do those codes mean?

Pretty sure the cats have to be good and hot and also you have to complete a few "drive cycles" before the O2's will show "ready."

Also, even experienced tuners get this O2 stuff wrong in their tunes quite often, apparently it's kinda tricky, so it could be the tune. Was the tune written for those cats and those O2 sensors?
Yes.
Old 6/29/17, 10:31 PM

So have you contacted Kooks about your issues yet ???
Old 6/30/17, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
So have you contacted Kooks about your issues yet ???
yes I have, I've been working with Matthew Neal at Kook's, He said they've had good luck with the Green catted pipes not throwing CEL on Coyote equipped S197's, I just happen to be one of the unlucky ones that do have CEL. They are in development of a Larger can, GREEN Cats, They believe this will fix my problem. I'm just waiting for the first ones to come out so I can test them. Right now, Steeda wrote me a new tune that shut off the rear O2 sensors. No CEL's now.
Old 6/30/17, 01:33 PM

yes I have, I've been working with Matthew Neal at Kook's, He said they've had good luck with the Green catted pipes not throwing CEL on Coyote equipped S197's, I just happen to be one of the unlucky ones that do have CEL. They are in development of a Larger can, GREEN Cats, They believe this will fix my problem. I'm just waiting for the first ones to come out so I can test them. Right now, Steeda wrote me a new tune that shut off the rear O2 sensors. No CEL's now.
The reason you bought the green cats to begin with, is there supposed be emissions friendly and not throw any CEL codes.. So in the meantime, what does Kooks expect you do, run your current green catted mid pipe with the 02 sensors turned off until they complete development of their new and updated version and then expect you to pay another $502.00 or more.. Have they even offered to do an exchange or offer any type of refund ? As from what you describe, it appears you have a defective product which at the very least should be covered under warranty
Old 7/1/17, 01:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts

Shutting off the 02's will likely get you a fail.
Most states require all systems indicate enabled through the OBD II port.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (7/1/17)
Old 7/1/17, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
[/COLOR][/B]
I know this all to well from personal experience.. Unless the OP lives in a state in which he can be exempt from emissions testing, providing of course he meets the required 5000 miles per year or less, shutting off the rear 02's will most definitely get him a failure for certain..
Old 7/2/17, 04:31 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,197 Posts
[/COLOR][/B]
+1
If you need a yearly state inspection, that car is going to fail.
Good luck OP and let us know how it gets remedied.
tourer (7/5/17)
Old 7/2/17, 04:45 PM

Tony, it's not so much that he'll fail his state inspection, but will fail emissions if his 02 sensors throw a not ready code through his car's OBD II port..

I went through the very same issue over 4 years ago when I was still running my Mac catted prochamber.. Needless to say, the Mac high-flow cats ended up going bad and had to reinstall my factory catted mid pipe just in order to pass emissions

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/2/17 at 04:46 PM.
tourer (7/5/17)
Old 7/2/17, 06:15 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Tony, it's not so much that he'll fail his state inspection, but will fail emissions if his 02 sensors throw a not ready code through his car's OBD II port..

I went through the very same issue over 4 years ago when I was still running my Mac catted prochamber.. Needless to say, the Mac high-flow cats ended up going bad and had to reinstall my factory catted mid pipe just in order to pass emissions
Yeah,....that stinks Rocky.
If I were the OP, I would demand an immediate remedy. There are a couple of guys driving around with the Kooks Green stuff in MA and are passing emissions. (I honestly think it's the tune that's messing things up.)
tourer (7/5/17)
Old 7/2/17, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Yeah,....that stinks Rocky.
If I were the OP, I would demand an immediate remedy. There are a couple of guys driving around with the Kooks Green stuff in MA and are passing emissions. (I honestly think it's the tune that's messing things up.)
After reading over more responses since last posting, it would seem as though it's more than likely a tuning issue Tony.. I just can't see how the OP's catted green pipe would be responsible for throwing CEL codes, unless the cats themselves are somehow damaged and not heating up enough for whatever reason, but that's highly unlikely.. It's also possible that he may have a bad 02 sensor or perhaps it could be part of the 02 sensor wiring harness that may have a short in it which might also be the cause.. However I agree that his tune files are more than likely the culprit.. If it's Steeda, then the OP should get in contact with TJ and find out if they have the correct tuning files for the Kooks green catted mid pipe and if necessary, also find out from Kooks if they have any tuning files as well
tourer (7/5/17)
Old 7/3/17, 08:15 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

After reading over more responses since last posting, it would seem as though it's more than likely a tuning issue Tony.. I just can't see how the OP's catted green pipe would be responsible for throwing CEL codes, unless the cats themselves are somehow damaged and not heating up enough for whatever reason, but that's highly unlikely.. It's also possible that he may have a bad 02 sensor or perhaps it could be part of the 02 sensor wiring harness that may have a short in it which might also be the cause.
Bingo Rocky. I concur!
tourer (7/5/17)
Old 7/5/17, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

The reason you bought the green cats to begin with, is there supposed be emissions friendly and not throw any CEL codes.. So in the meantime, what does Kooks expect you do, run your current green catted mid pipe with the 02 sensors turned off until they complete development of their new and updated version and then expect you to pay another $502.00 or more.. Have they even offered to do an exchange or offer any type of refund ? As from what you describe, it appears you have a defective product which at the very least should be covered under warranty
Right now, Kook's is offering an even swap for the new Green Cats. I'm going to ask for labor cost though, My mechanic said he can remove and then install new cats in 2-2-1/2 hours. He get's $75.00 per hour. I don't know if they'll pay it though.
Old 7/5/17, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

[/COLOR][/B]
Maine doesn't have emission testing right now. We had it back in the early 2000's, they used a sniffer in the tailpipe test then. The company that set up the emission testing stations had problems and went out of business, no mention of further testing has been floated by the state. In case they do though, that's why I want Cats that will pass.
Old 7/5/17, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I know this all to well from personal experience.. Unless the OP lives in a state in which he can be exempt from emissions testing, providing of course he meets the required 5000 miles per year or less, shutting off the rear 02's will most definitely get him a failure for certain..
The car was 5 years old April 2012 and it has 11,560 miles on it, so I guess I slip under the 5K per year or less thing.

Search this Thread