5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Ford Racing Fast Throw Shifter Installed

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/14, 06:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Racing Fast Throw Shifter Installed

Way better than the factory sloppy rubber set, This shifter is outstanding , now i can shift faster,better & precise ..
btw
This set look supper cool in our cars.
also
I retrofitted Shelby 2014 recaros seat on my gt

any questions or suggestion , just ask?
What i should do next ??

Last edited by STABB3D BY GiRL; 8/31/14 at 07:09 AM.
Old 8/31/14, 06:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok this is the bitter side of me but I'll say it anyway. Ford should have put this shifter in the car from the factory. Of I'm going to upgrade, it's going to be the MGW. I just can't pay for something that I should have had anyways. I know I sound like I'm bashing (sorry) and it is a awesome shifter (probably just as good as the MGW) but I just can't do it

BTW Nice video, the car looks awesome!! If you start another thread (don't want to high jack this one) please do so on the seats. They ROCK!
Old 8/31/14, 08:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Have you thought about a padded armrest cover? Amustang rocks sells a really nice one on here. You can choose the color, leather, and even stitch color. I think that would really add to your cars look.
Old 8/31/14, 08:52 AM

I went with the MGW shifter and never looked back .. It WORKS
Old 9/1/14, 01:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford racing is just a rebranded Barton shifter.

That being said, I like my barton
Old 9/2/14, 10:08 AM

I put mine in a couple weekends ago. Money well spent. If they put the best of everything in these cars from the factory the price would be much higher. Just my two cents.
Old 9/2/14, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Truckintommy
I put mine in a couple weekends ago. Money well spent. If they put the best of everything in these cars from the factory the price would be much higher. Just my two cents.
I hear what your saying but as it has been said many times before, I can't believe they put a crappy piece of sheet metal, ty-rapped to a piece of rubber?? I know they could have done better than that. They could have even offered a trans upgrade as part of the track pack. Come on Ford work with me.. Take my money!! Lol
Old 1/17/15, 03:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by pminri
I hear what your saying but as it has been said many times before, I can't believe they put a crappy piece of sheet metal, ty-rapped to a piece of rubber?? I know they could have done better than that. They could have even offered a trans upgrade as part of the track pack. Come on Ford work with me.. Take my money!! Lol

Amen, brother! That said, I too shelled out the $445 for the Ford Racing shifter. That OE shifter is such a crappy, piece of S##T.
Old 1/17/15, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've always enjoyed all the posts on your Mustang- great car!

I also purchased the Ford Racing short throw shifter and bracket. The shifter is awesome- short throws and I love the look of the white ball (the metal shifter in my 401A interior got too hot and cold). After installing both the shifter and the bracket, I reinstalled the factory bracket (couldn't take the vibrations of the FR bracket).

Today, I installed the Blowfish Racing bracket... huge improvement since it solves the actual problem of the stock set-up (which mounts the shifter to the body of the car instead of the transmission itself).

I guess Ford was more concerned with keeping things quiet than with making the car drivable (which would also explain the rear suspension). Congrats on fixing the length of the shifts!
Old 1/20/15, 01:44 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
So you think the OEM shifter by FORD is crap and you go and buy another FORD shifter which is the exact same shifter as a barton....OK Thats like paying them twice. Or shifting the money from your wallet to there's.
Except it's Blue which you will never see.
If you are as feed up as I am with the shifter and clutch, the last company I'm giving my money to is FORD.
Ford knew it all along that the shifter set up and clutch is garbage. I do agree with the option part on the trans. That option would of taken care of the shifter, trans, clutch problems in one shot and mustang owners would be singing a different tune. If anyone is thinking about swaping out there shifter, go with MGW race spec and never look back. If funds are a factor then go with the Blowfish bracket for half the cost and keep your OEM POS shifter. Just remember that changing the shifter or installing the bracket will not prevent high RPM lockout. Thats the famous high quality clutch FORD installed. If it a DD then I would go with the bracket from Blowfish. It dose work. It's soild and very well engineered peice. If your tracking the car some and slowly building it, Go MGW!
Old 1/21/15, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
I've always enjoyed all the posts on your Mustang- great car!

I also purchased the Ford Racing short throw shifter and bracket. The shifter is awesome- short throws and I love the look of the white ball (the metal shifter in my 401A interior got too hot and cold). After installing both the shifter and the bracket, I reinstalled the factory bracket (couldn't take the vibrations of the FR bracket).

Today, I installed the Blowfish Racing bracket... huge improvement since it solves the actual problem of the stock set-up (which mounts the shifter to the body of the car instead of the transmission itself).

I guess Ford was more concerned with keeping things quiet than with making the car drivable (which would also explain the rear suspension). Congrats on fixing the length of the shifts!
Thanks for the props, also enjoy your ford racing short shifter!
Old 1/25/15, 03:30 PM
GT Member

Installed Also

Just finished replacing the single worst part Ford put on the 5th Gen Mustang, the shifter and shifter bracket. I have to agree, it transforms the car. It is not just better shifting, it's a better driving experience. I did all the research and I suspect the Steeda, Barton (same as FRPP), MGW, Hurst and others are probably all so close any will be worth the money. Sounds like the MGW is best since it replaces more than the others. However, I wanted to keep to the FR catalog...and no regrets. I was worried about that 40% reduction is throw as it is the most of any others, but no issue at all. I may even prefer that now. The FRPP (or Barton) shifter goes highly recommended in my book. One must get the bracket though...a MUST; that OE part is something Ford should be a shamed of.