5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

"Engine brace" for Coyote?

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/14, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Engine brace" for Coyote?

I'm curious whether anyone makes an aftermarket engine brace for the Coyote engine. I have a stock shifter and a Barton 2-post bracket, along with the Whiteline trans poly-bushing, but I'm sensing there's still a lot of rotational deflection from the engine that interferes with hitting the shifting gates consistently.

On the Miata autocross circuit, where I'm coming to the Mustang from, engine braces are an excellent cure for deflection, missing gates, and even some situations where syncro clash can occur. A photo of an engine brace for the Miata NC is below; it mounts between the block and the strut tower and can be modified to fit with FST braces. It's actually a better solution than higher durometer engine mounts. I haven't been able to find one for the Coyote; anyone have information? Thanks.

Last edited by Gear Poet; 10/29/14 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10/29/14, 05:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

You are correct about the rotation causing issues with the remote shifter in the Mustang. The rotation leads to very imprecise shifts.....the gate location changes from where ones muscle memory tells us it should be. I'm not aware of an engine brace that cures this......but there is a transmission brace that relocates the shifter from the transmission tunnel to the transmission itself....and it works superb! No more guessing...since the shifter gets married to the transmission.

Straight from the inventors web site: https://www.blowfishracing.com/drive...t-bracket.html

They also sell these at CJ Pony Parts....and probably other large Mustang parts retailers.

Name:  IMG_0840_zpsf24df8ff.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  1.86 MB

Name:  IMG_0843_zps9b4804a1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  1.71 MB

A picture of my bracket installed.

Wayne

Last edited by Senderofan; 10/29/14 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10/29/14, 07:36 AM

^ Thanks for answering. Yes, I did run across that solution a couple of days ago. Except for a complaint about high-rpm buzzing, the commentary I saw was positive.

Engine rotation will deflect the bell housing and transmission casing even though there are additional transmission mounts to consider; case flexing can even be a problem (I'm not sure how rigid the M82 case is). For example, the Miata NC is a top-loader with an isolated ball/gimbal but deflection at high rpm is still an issue. Although relocating the shifter bracket from the tunnel to the transmission as the Blowfish does will partially eliminate the problem, some deflection and imprecise shifting would likely remain. An engine brace addresses the problem at its source by controlling the rotational movement of the block. Hence I'd prefer that solution.

Even so, if there's no such engine brace out there, I will likely try the Blowfish bracket.

Last edited by Gear Poet; 10/29/14 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10/29/14, 11:23 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen these for the Tremec but not sure if they updated for the Getrag:

http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-204.htm

http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-208.htm
Old 10/29/14, 12:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I've seen these for the Tremec but not sure if they updated for the Getrag:

http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-204.htm

http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-208.htm
They make it for the MT82 also but I have heard a few people say it breaks the part of the trans it bolts to, not sure how true that is however.
Old 10/29/14, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon302
They make it for the MT82 also but I have heard a few people say it breaks the part of the trans it bolts to, not sure how true that is however.
Yes, it's an interesting unit, but the cast aluminum, drilled tabs those braces connect to don't look substantial enough. I suspect the failures were because of stress fractures in the metal. A bit of wheel hop on take-off or acceleration out of a curve, and....
Old 10/29/14, 06:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Gear Poet
Yes, it's an interesting unit, but the cast aluminum, drilled tabs those braces connect to don't look substantial enough. I suspect the failures were because of stress fractures in the metal. A bit of wheel hop on take-off or acceleration out of a curve, and....
Yes...I've seen threads where fractured tabs on the MT-82 have occurred because of the torque brace. I have an MGW shifter.....I think some had experienced an intermittent "Buzzing" sound with the MGW shifter and the BF bracket. Steve, the inventor of the BlowFish bracket, says the cure for that is to lower the upper mount ( which also has the shifter connected ) by @ 1/8". I lowered mine from the onset of installation. I can report that I do not have any increased noise.

The only on going issue for my vehicle is the high rpm clutch lock out. You might not experience this....I can replicate this any time I'm at or above 7,000 rpm and try to make a gear shift.

Good luck with your bracket quest. The Blowfish bracket, for me, has been a huge improvement. Once I have a aftermarket performance clutch installed....I'm confident my MT-82 satisfaction level should be in the 90+% satisfaction range.

Wayne

Last edited by Senderofan; 10/29/14 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10/29/14, 08:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If anything I would do stiffer motor mounts, I would think a torque brace make work for a Miata but not for a Mustang.