Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Cat deletes

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/13, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's a stronger smell than stock but i dont think only a few minutes would be too bad considering what we breathe in daily but i'd crack the garage open a little bit just to be safe.
Old 12/24/13, 04:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dreday23
it's a stronger smell than stock but i dont think only a few minutes would be too bad considering what we breathe in daily but i'd crack the garage open a little bit just to be safe.
O yeah!!!
The garage door is always opened, I sadly know people who worked on cars (guy owned his own shop) and sadly passed away from poor ventilation, so I open the garage door as soon as I step into the garage.
But I guess cats are coming out in the spring.
Old 1/20/14, 12:25 PM

And you don't have to let car warm up before taking off. At least that what the manual says. Don't think it will hurt either way..
Old 1/21/14, 05:38 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Michael417
And you don't have to let car warm up before taking off. At least that what the manual says. Don't think it will hurt either way..
I let all my cars warm up a bit before driving it (3-5 minutes)
Old 1/21/14, 09:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes, it's illegal....yes, it's irresponsble (if you care about such things...which many obviously don't) and yes, the smell is completely obvious the the police officer or anyone who is riding behind you in traffic.

You can pick up a few horsies but cost:benefit doesn't seem favorable on this mod.
Old 12/3/19, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by bud4au01
Anybody put them on ? What differences should i expect other than bit louder?
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
A tune doesn't compensate for any changes in back pressure. It will do two things. Turn off the rear o2's which monitor the cats and also on these newer cars will turn off the COT feature. Nothing more.
I have the axle back slp exhaust. But when you say throw the code if I dont go have those things turned off will the check engine light stay on or will it make the car run sluggish like with a bog? Cause if I go hop in my car on a cold day without letting it warm up first my check engine light will flash and the car will bog run sluggish till I pull over and let the engine warm a bit. 2014 5.0

Last edited by Ballard423; 12/3/19 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12/3/19, 11:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballard423
I have the axle back slp exhaust. But when you say throw the code if I dont go have those things turned off will the check engine light stay on or will it make the car run sluggish like with a bog? Cause if I go hop in my car on a cold day without letting it warm up first my check engine light will flash and the car will bog run sluggish till I pull over and let the engine warm a bit. 2014 5.0
"Axle back" is fancy new wording for "mufflers" and normally that does not affect the Catalytic Converters so i am not sure what you are getting at. Have you removed the cats?

The rear O2 sensors are downstream of the cats and my understanding is that their sole purpose is to see whether the cats are working or not; they are used for emissions inspections but have no impact at all on the way the car runs. If you have physically removed the rear O2's but have not turned them off in the tune, then the computer will complain by turning on the check engine light.

Your issue is probably caused by something else; possibly the front O2's which are used to fine-tune the air/fuel mix.

Old 12/3/19, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
"Axle back" is fancy new wording for "mufflers" and normally that does not affect the Catalytic Converters so i am not sure what you are getting at. Have you removed the cats?

The rear O2 sensors are downstream of the cats and my understanding is that their sole purpose is to see whether the cats are working or not; they are used for emissions inspections but have no impact at all on the way the car runs. If you have physically removed the rear O2's but have not turned them off in the tune, then the computer will complain by turning on the check engine light.

Your issue is probably caused by something else; possibly the front O2's which are used to fine-tune the air/fuel mix.
I want to delete the upper cats that run to the H pipe but plug the upper 02 sensors back in. From what I'm understanding is that it's going to throw the check engine light. What I was wondering is when it triggers the check engine light is that going to effect the car's performance in any way
Old 12/3/19, 01:21 PM

Old 12/4/19, 04:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 1,053 Posts
I want to delete the upper cats that run to the H pipe but plug the upper 02 sensors back in. From what I'm understanding is that it's going to throw the check engine light. What I was wondering is when it triggers the check engine light is that going to effect the car's performance in any way
There is only one set of cats (catalytic converters). There are two sets of O2 sensors, one upstream of the cats and one downstream. The upstream O2 sensors are used to adjust air/fuel mix and the rear are used to confirm whether the cats are working. If you do a "cat delete" the rear O2's will be removed or they will give bad reading because the cats are gone. I'm pretty sure the front/upstream O2 sensors should not be affected.

The rear/downstream O2 sensors will trigger the Check Engine light, but it does not affect the operation or performance of the engine.

I assume you already read all the reasons not to delete the cats earlier in this thread so I won't say it all again.

Last edited by Bert; 12/4/19 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12/6/19, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
why not go with a high flow CAT? Catalytic converters are the reason you can breathe normally in any major US city. I started appreciating them after a trip to India. Fog like smog burning your eyes and lungs.

Anyway, catted pipes still give you good sound increase and performance gain. They cost more though.
Old 12/6/19, 06:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 560 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
why not go with a high flow CAT? Catalytic converters are the reason you can breathe normally in any major US city. I started appreciating them after a trip to India. Fog like smog burning your eyes and lungs.

Anyway, catted pipes still give you good sound increase and performance gain. They cost more though.
I actually started appreciating them after moving away from Los Angeles in the 1972 and seeing the difference when I moved back there in 1981 and being able to see the mountains. With the technology the way it is now there is no reason not to at least have a high flow although the stock cats will still move more air than the motor can put through the exhaust anyways.