5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss side exhaust for GT

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/13, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss side exhaust for GT

Hey guys has anyone put on the boss H-pipe on their GT, I know AM sells one. I was thinking of doing this with the borla s type. How about cutouts? Or do most people generally use a X-pipe
Old 9/10/13, 07:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Other than doing a Boss clone, I never understood the point of this setup. To each his own, I would never put someone down for their exhaust choice and that's not what I'm getting at here. I'm just thinking in practical terms I don't see the benefit or intrigue of having 4 exhaust openings. And a side exit that exits under the car that you don't even see. I could understand if it were a side exit only where it exited in front of the tires where you could see it. Again I'm not putting you down for choosing or asking about this setup. I guess more or less I'm looking for an explanation as to why you wouldn't just do a traditional side exit and be done with it.
Old 9/10/13, 08:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by flynavy
Other than doing a Boss clone, I never understood the point of this setup. To each his own, I would never put someone down for their exhaust choice and that's not what I'm getting at here. I'm just thinking in practical terms I don't see the benefit or intrigue of having 4 exhaust openings. And a side exit that exits under the car that you don't even see. I could understand if it were a side exit only where it exited in front of the tires where you could see it. Again I'm not putting you down for choosing or asking about this setup. I guess more or less I'm looking for an explanation as to why you wouldn't just do a traditional side exit and be done with it.
The side pipes are more for a distinct sound than more flow. I love mine <3
Old 9/10/13, 08:22 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know if we can help you out. I actually sold Steven above me my quad mid pipe that we took off our 13 Boss. There is a distinct sound for sure and it gives it a more deep growl. The sound difference is noticeable and paired with the Borla S types its very sexy! I know, I had that setup

The cutouts are pretty unnecessary but its in option.
Old 9/10/13, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by steven46746

The side pipes are more for a distinct sound than more flow. I love mine <3
Forgive me if I came off rude at all. I just don't know anyone who has a boss or the exhaust setup and I've only seen one boss in person so far so I guess I needed to listen closer to the tone. Ill be sure to pay more attention next time to the sound.
Old 9/10/13, 09:42 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Forgive me if I came off rude at all. I just don't know anyone who has a boss or the exhaust setup and I've only seen one boss in person so far so I guess I needed to listen closer to the tone. Ill be sure to pay more attention next time to the sound.
Drive one.
You might change your tune (pun intended)

I was like 'that's cool, but meh'
then I heard some cars with it....and then I drove a Boss302....

My side exhaust comes in tomorrow

I think (and I could be wrong) but stated above its more for sound experience than just pure performance gain.
Old 9/10/13, 09:42 PM

I definitely want to go for a different and more aggressive sound vs all the other GT's in my area, performance wise is the Boss H-pipe going to sacrifice much power vs an X-pipe.
Old 9/10/13, 09:45 PM
I Have No Life

I can't speak for the 302 crowd, but I know when I put the FRPP X on my 4.6 a while back I compared it to the stock H with the same Borla S-Types.
It was a bit louder and a bit smoother. WOT was definitely louder and more....angry.

The side exhaust kit on the 302 and 5.8 is an H.
The X is on the 4.6 kit only.

I have no idea about exactly how much power is gained in either situation.
I'd guess minimal, but I have no idea

Last edited by Boomer; 9/10/13 at 09:47 PM.
Old 9/10/13, 09:50 PM

That's what I'm banking on, I really want to run a boss setup underneath with either the Borla s-type or magnaflow street. As agreed its mainly for sound and if I don't like the sound I can always switch.
Old 9/10/13, 10:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I run long tube headers and an o/r x pipe so I'm not sure if I can run the boss setup with Long tubes. Can I?
Old 9/10/13, 11:05 PM

I noticed a setup catted shorty boss h pipe on AM built specifically for running long tube headers, it's worth looking at it might fit for you, it's made by kooks http://www.americanmuscle.com/kooks-...pipe-boss.html
It says for boss or gt500 so it may not fit also says for running kooks long tube headers. You'd have to email them or get a more experienced man than me answering haha
Old 9/10/13, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Boomer
I can't speak for the 302 crowd, but I know when I put the FRPP X on my 4.6 a while back I compared it to the stock H with the same Borla S-Types.
It was a bit louder and a bit smoother. WOT was definitely louder and more....angry.

The side exhaust kit on the 302 and 5.8 is an H.
The X is on the 4.6 kit only.

I have no idea about exactly how much power is gained in either situation.
I'd guess minimal, but I have no idea
I have a novice question, will this effect A/F ratio, or the back pressure myth, any need for a custom tune, haha I know I'm a rook, ill be getting a JLT cai and either a 85 mm or L&M 87 mm throttle body along with the boss 302 intake and 4.10 gears so I know I have to tune for that, just didn't know if running the boss h-pipe and exhaust made an airflow difference requiring tuning
Old 9/11/13, 06:11 AM
GT Member

The Boss side pipes sound awesome, worth the money if its in your budget, and gives you options like how you use the restrictor plates, installing a cutout, and how pair them with axlebacks. Its really a matter of personal preference - there are lots of great sounding exhaust options. The main arguments I see against it are (1) relatively expensive (2) heavier than stock and most aftermarket mid pipes and (3) limits your options if you're planning other exhaust upgrades like x-pipe or wider diameter piping.
Old 9/11/13, 05:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the boss side pipes paired with the GT500 AB's, and I love the way it sounds. Like others have said, it adds a deeper growl to the exhaust, and makes some cool noises when engine braking. With the restrictor plates removed, there is a slight drone at 2k, but because I have 3.73 gears, I'm usually above that on the highway anyway.
I don't know where this myth of a lot of added weight comes from, the side pipes only add about 4 lbs over a standard h-pipe.
Old 9/11/13, 06:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
Hey guys has anyone put on the boss H-pipe on their GT, I know AM sells one. I was thinking of doing this with the borla s type. How about cutouts? Or do most people generally use a X-pipe
Have you considered the borla midpipe and over axel pipes to match your s-types (full cat back)? It would be about the same cost as the boss h-pipe and would also add some sound.
Old 9/11/13, 08:51 PM
GT Member

I have the ford product boss pipe mod on my GT and put on QTP electric cutouts. I left the mufflers stock. With the electric cut outs I can dial in the sound I want. For fooling around run the side pipes wide open, for long highway cruises where the noise rapidly gets old and fatiguing I can dial it down to stock sound.

Its for the sound - no power gain and none lost. A bit of fun for a very simple mod.
Old 9/12/13, 08:34 AM
V6 Member

Is buyfordracing.com still the cheapest option on this? I think they have them for $699. Anyone found a better price?
Old 9/12/13, 08:40 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
I have a novice question, will this effect A/F ratio, or the back pressure myth, any need for a custom tune, haha I know I'm a rook, ill be getting a JLT cai and either a 85 mm or L&M 87 mm throttle body along with the boss 302 intake and 4.10 gears so I know I have to tune for that, just didn't know if running the boss h-pipe and exhaust made an airflow difference requiring tuning
- Exhaust changes that are passed the cats/sensor, no tune required
ie: mufflers/mid-pipe that doesn't change the cats.
- gears, no tune other than updating your gear set for the speedo
- CAI, tune 99.9% required

Weight wise, these things are only about 35lbs. Not really a crap ton.

Last edited by Boomer; 9/12/13 at 08:43 AM.
Old 9/13/13, 06:25 PM
GT Member

I think a company called stainless works ?? makes a version

Originally Posted by TxAg98
Is buyfordracing.com still the cheapest option on this? I think they have them for $699. Anyone found a better price?
Old 9/14/13, 10:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
For me that's the point. You don't see it. But it sounds amazing, and different than the boss as well.

Quick Reply: Boss side exhaust for GT