Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss Exhaust Grommet Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/22, 12:37 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
Boss Exhaust Grommet Issues

So any of you S197 Boss 302 owners or those that have added the Boss Quad Exhaust to your S197 GTs having issues?

I have now had to replaced both of the rubber grommets that are around the mounting bolt near the exhaust tip. I discover the problem when I start hearing a new annoying rattle in the back seat. The Passenger side did it first, probably a couple thousand miles after the install. Now the driver side did it a couple weeks ago. Car has 22k on it, pipes were put on about 5k miles, so about 17k down the road from install. It is easy to fix if you have a spare grommet laying around. Luckily I bought 4 of those when the first one went. So not a big issue to fix, but just wondering if I am the only one having this issue. Maybe it had to do with my Ford Dealers install. Maybe they cranked it down a bit too tight? Did notice they had the two washers on the same side of the grommet, seems like that could be an issue too.

Love to hear your input on this.
Old 11/4/22, 08:44 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,913 Likes on 2,143 Posts
Post From Back In the Day!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...trofit-494057/

KC
The following users liked this post:
shaneyusa (11/4/22)
Old 11/4/22, 10:48 AM

Thanks @05stangkc . Yup that is the one. So you were key in getting this out there for us to add to out GTs? Very glad you did what what you did. Love it on my car.

Just a little hiccup with item #1 on this... All fixed.

Old 11/4/22, 11:39 AM
The Analog Admin!

Thanks For the Kudo's!

I think That was One of My Last Parts Retrofit Posts Before Self Imposed Semi Exile and Would Just Visit Sporadically to Post on Andrews Thread!

It was Fun Discovering and Revealing The Next Batch of Retrofits Before Anyone Else Most of the Time! Sometimes So Early we Would Get a Frantic Phone Call From Ford Telling Us I Needed to Pull the Info. Such as When I Predicted the 5.0 Liter Return Way Early and They Felt it Would Kill 2010 Mustang Sales Since It Still had the 4.6 Liter! They Were Pissed! Ha Ha!

Looks Like FRPP Followed My Lead and Made a Kit! Still Waiting For All my Royalty Checks for My Retrofits! Surprised I even Remembered Posting That!

KC

If you Want To See a Crazy Story From That Timeline Read Here!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...0/#post6048658

Last edited by 05stangkc; 11/4/22 at 12:01 PM.
shaneyusa (11/5/22)
Old 11/5/22, 11:51 AM

Thanks for sharing that link with me Kevin. Yes, I had read that thread in the past and was moved by it. I know it had to be very tough going through that. Sorry for the loss of your son. I have two sons and a daughter so I can relate, but I have no idea how that feels, and would never want to go through that. Glad you are back with us! I enjoy you posts and enlightenment. Thanks!
05stangkc (11/5/22)
Old 11/5/22, 01:03 PM
The Analog Admin!

We Still Get the Lone Bee Now & Again Circling Around Us When We are Sitting on The Porch! I just Let Him Do His Thing no Matter How Close he Gets to Me!

Thanks For Replying!

KC

And If Anybody Else Has Had Side Issue Exhaust Issues Please Chime in. I did Note The PDF Has Torque Specs for the Nut. Oh and on a Side Note those Hardware Part & Other Part Numbers are Incomplete. In The Shop Manual they Leave off the Suffix Sometimes. So You can Not Do a Precise Search Using the Partial Numbers Listed.

Last edited by 05stangkc; 11/5/22 at 01:08 PM.
shaneyusa (11/8/22)
Old 10/19/23, 05:15 PM
The Analog Admin!

Steve,

Looking Forward to The Updated Bushings You Come Up With Now That the Originals are OBSOLETE!

Steve Was Looking For Some and Had Me Search andThey Are Gone So We Agree a Better Upgraded Part is in Order!

He is Now on the Hunt!

Just Because it's Cool Wonder if these 1937-1939 Ford Truck Muffler Ones Would do The Job!

Who Knows! Would Be Kinda Ironic!

https://cwmoss.com/products/muffler-...t-1937-39-ford

Steve if You Still have a New Original Part Some Pics Would Be Great For the Viewers!

KC
Old 10/19/23, 06:46 PM

So I had to change out another torn grommet for my Boss Exhaust yesterday. This is the third replacement so far. First was in May of 2016.

This one was back to the side of the first failure, the Passenger side. So the first replacement lasted about 7 1/2 years, maybe 10k miles. While I was changing the grommet I had trouble getting the bolt to bite in the threads. I did not have this problem on the Driver side replacement last year. In fact the Driver side was quick and easy to swap. This one not so much and I kind of remembered this issue on the first go around on the passenger side. So I decided to compare the bolts. Something had to be different.

When I pulled the bolts they were similar but different lengths. Also one had two regular washers. One between bolt and grommet the other between grommet and frame. Not sure that last one was doing much since the grommet has a metal surface on that side. The passenger side only had a lock washer before the soft side of the grommet, and no regular washers at all. Did not think much about this with the first replacement. Just tried to leave the install as I found it but with a replacement grommet.

I checked the part number from the diagram above for the bolts. Both bolts are shown with the same part number, so they should be identical. After comparing the installed bolts with the image of the part number on Fords part site, neither were a match to the correct part. So my dealer's installer did not use the bolts provided in the original install kit. I am not sure why.

So I ordered the original bolt part to give it a try.

I believe this might be the cause of the repeat problems with my setup. I have not seen anyone else that is having this issue. I have one more of the original grommets, and there are no longer replacements available for sale. Not sure if this is a supply issue or if the part is discontinued.

Here is the bolts that were used in my install along with one of the real bolts that should have been in my install kit.

So now I have the real bolt installed and removed both of the others. We will see what this does.

Old 10/19/23, 07:37 PM
The Analog Admin!

Thanks For The Update!

One Little Short Cut By Original Installer Caused Issues For Years! Yep Seen That a Few Times! I Can See Where Wider Washer Would Spread Load Better! Also Bolt Likely Bottoms Out So Bushing is Not Squeezed Too Tight!

Original Bushings are Discontinued!

KC
Old 10/19/23, 11:07 PM

Thanks for your help on this @05stangkc !
05stangkc (10/19/23)
Old 10/26/23, 11:42 PM
V6 Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you’re absolutely correct that the fasteners used by the original installer are the cause for your issue. I would suggest however, that you keep an old grommet (for reference) and start searching for suitable replacements just in case.
shaneyusa (6/25/24)
Old 6/22/24, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bushing / grommets

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
So any of you S197 Boss 302 owners or those that have added the Boss Quad Exhaust to your S197 GTs having iss
I have now had to replaced both of the rubber grommets that are around the mounting bolt near the exhaust tip. I discover the problem when I start hearing a new annoying rattle in the back seat. The Passenger side did it first, probably a couple thousand miles after the install. Now the driver side did it a couple weeks ago. Car has 22k on it, pipes were put on about 5k miles, so about 17k down the road from install. It is easy to fix if you have a spare grommet laying around. Luckily I bought 4 of those when the first one went. So not a big issue to fix, but just wondering if I am the only one having this issue. Maybe it had to do with my Ford Dealers install. Maybe they cranked it down a bit too tight? Did notice they had the two washers on the same side of the grommet, seems like that could be an issue too.

Love to hear your input on this.

I just wish I could find new grommets.
Old 6/22/24, 08:28 AM
The Analog Admin!

Pulled This Info out of a PM Between Me & Shaney. Never Tried These But Here is The Info!

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
These Are Still Available Looks Pretty Close!

F6ZZ-17C431-AA

Quote:
Kevin,
Looks like the grommets for my Boss 302 Exhaust are now discontinued... Just tore another one. I have one left on hand but thought at the rate I am going I might want some on hand. Do you have and sources that you might find me a few of these?

Original Ford OEM Part Number is 5C3Z-17C431-AA description is GROMMET

F6ZZ-17C431-AA

FYI,

Oh And As a Side Note Both these Bushing / Grommets Were Originally Designed to Be Used as Air Filter Box Mounting Insulators! Ford Just Used An Existing Part. In The Case of The Boss The 5c3z Prefix Indicates 2005 Era Super Duty Trucks! Not Sure Which Truck Exactly But Walking around a Pick A Part Could Likely Find Some Nice Ones if Air Boxes are Still in The Trucks!

The F6zz Indicates 1996 Era Mustangs!

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...17c431-aa.html

KC
Old 6/22/24, 10:54 AM

The factory grommet used with the Boss Quad Exhaust is part number 5C3Z-17C731-AA. I ordered 3 of these (F6ZZ-17C431-AA) from https://parts.ford.com/ a couple of weeks ago mainly as backups and wanted to compare size and spacing. Price was reasonable at $2.58 each plus tax and free shipping. I have not installed any of the F6ZZ parts, but here is are some photos of my compare.

This is what I believe is the bottom side (IIRC) of the grommet. The original has the metal from inside the grommet extended across the mounting surface. If I remember right this side goes against the bolt head. The F6ZZ version does not have this, but I looks like it could easily be swapped from the 5C3Z version of the torn grommet to the F6ZZ replacement. But like I said I have not used any of the F6ZZ versions on my car. I still have one of the correct part number 5C3Z grommets for my next tear, so might be a while before I try these.

Looks like the inside of the original grommet is just slightly smaller, but if swapping the metal tubing, that may be ok? Compared outside diameter of rubber grommet and they match.

Spacing for the slit in the rubber grommet appears to be the same or very close. The 5C3Z I am comparing to was one of the torn grommets that I kept, just in case.

The size of the rubber and texture appears to be very similar. The extra height you are seeing is primarily from the center metal portion wrapping the bottom surface.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 6/25/24 at 07:08 PM.
Old 6/22/24, 12:00 PM
The Analog Admin!

So I had to change out another torn grommet for my Boss Exhaust yesterday. This is the third replacement so far. First was in May of 2016.

This one was back to the side of the first failure, the Passenger side. So the first replacement lasted about 7 1/2 years, maybe 10k miles. While I was changing the grommet I had trouble getting the bolt to bite in the threads. I did not have this problem on the Driver side replacement last year. In fact the Driver side was quick and easy to swap. This one not so much and I kind of remembered this issue on the first go around on the passenger side. So I decided to compare the bolts. Something had to be different.

When I pulled the bolts they were similar but different lengths. Also one had two regular washers. One between bolt and grommet the other between grommet and frame. Not sure that last one was doing much since the grommet has a metal surface on that side. The passenger side only had a lock washer before the soft side of the grommet, and no regular washers at all. Did not think much about this with the first replacement. Just tried to leave the install as I found it but with a replacement grommet.

I checked the part number from the diagram above for the bolts. Both bolts are shown with the same part number, so they should be identical. After comparing the installed bolts with the image of the part number on Fords part site, neither were a match to the correct part. So my dealer's installer did not use the bolts provided in the original install kit. I am not sure why.

So I ordered the original bolt part to give it a try.

I believe this might be the cause of the repeat problems with my setup. I have not seen anyone else that is having this issue. I have one more of the original grommets, and there are no longer replacements available for sale. Not sure if this is a supply issue or if the part is discontinued.

Here is the bolts that were used in my install along with one of the real bolts that should have been in my install kit.

So now I have the real bolt installed and removed both of the others. We will see what this does.

Looks Like a Winner! Just Have To Make Sure & Use a Washer if You Don't Have Original Bushings Insert To Swap Over and Most Importantly That Specific Bolt So Bushing Is Not Squeezed! Thanks For The update!

Kc
shaneyusa (6/22/24)
Old 6/22/24, 03:09 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,685 Posts
Can someone take an accurate picture of where these are located? I've heard a rattling sound (usually in colder weather) for a few years now on my passenger side but as it warms up it goes away. So I just figured something is a little loose or too tight but never really investigated it.
Old 6/22/24, 03:20 PM
The Analog Admin!

Thanks @05stangkc . Yup that is the one. So you were key in getting this out there for us to add to out GTs? Very glad you did what what you did. Love it on my car.

Just a little hiccup with item #1 on this... All fixed.

Right Here!

The Complete Exhaust System Here! See Pdf!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...7/#post6049832

Can't Beat This!
Old 6/22/24, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Can someone take an accurate picture of where these are located? I've heard a rattling sound (usually in colder weather) for a few years now on my passenger side but as it warms up it goes away. So I just figured something is a little loose or too tight but never really investigated it.

To add to Kevin's Post here is a cutout of Kevin's posted image with the bolt and grommet location circled.

This is a view looking at the side exhaust located just in front of the rear wheels on both sides. Grommet and bolt are what holds the side exhaust tip in place. See the bolt head just to the left of the side exhaust outlet.

When mine is torn there is a rattle when accelerating or revving the car. If I go light on the pedal the noise is not always noticeable. It is a pretty easy to pull the bolt and grommet to take a look and see if it is torn or damaged. I usually find an item that is just clears the pipe in height, like a paint can, that will stay in place. Then loosen and remove the bolt and let the pipe rest on the "paint can". Once the bolt is removed you can carefully remove the grommet from the exhaust mounting bracket.

I usually find a tear in the groove of the grommet. Likely 1/3 or more of the grommet is torn loose, buy so far has been attached. This tear allows the mounting bracket to vibrate against the bushing in the center part of the grommet.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 6/22/24 at 07:18 PM.
Old 6/22/24, 07:26 PM
The Analog Admin!

How's That For EXHAUSTIVE Research!

KC
shaneyusa (6/22/24)
Old 6/22/24, 07:28 PM

No Worries, that is all from memory from the several trips under the car to replace these little bugger's...

FYI... Left this off the info post by mistake. These grommets are item #1 on the parts list/map above and the bolt is item #2. That should also help with location.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 6/22/24 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Boss Exhaust Grommet Issues