5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

BOSS 302 Intake Manifold for 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/11, 04:24 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOSS 302 Intake Manifold for 2011 GT

this looks like something i'd like to install in my 2011 GT, i just wanted to see other people opinion on this though before i decide to purchase it. The link is below. so what does everyone think about this?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss-i...ld-2011gt.html
Old 6/3/11, 04:52 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
If you type "Boss Intake" into the search function you will find a few threads regarding this topic. And welcome to TMS.

Here are a few thread titles from the search . . .

Boss Manifold First Impressions
How many HP does the Boss intake actually give

And there are a few others speaking to installation and such . . . .
Old 6/3/11, 06:40 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed mine about two weeks ago. My take on it is this,

1. Less than one hour install
2. Looks great
3. The car pulls hard above 5,000 all the way to 7,300rpm.
4. I bought it all from Steeda with their tune and it works great.

Spend the money on it for its a great part and works as advertised. I didnt notice any low end torque missing but I have 3.73 gears so that might be why.

Heres a write up I did.

http://www.drscars.info/showthread.p...oss-302-Intake

Picture of the intake done.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Last edited by ShowCar; 6/3/11 at 06:47 AM. Reason: picture added
Old 6/3/11, 08:18 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the detailed info. I'm really liking what people are saying about this product. Your pic is awesome as well.
Old 6/3/11, 08:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
David,
Steve's experience may be the exception here. I don't doubt his word one bit but the general consensus is that you do lose power in the lower end of the RPM range.

There might be some nice performance advantages if you raise the redline in your tune but I would definitely not want my car to be the test mule for that experiment.
Old 6/3/11, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
David,
Steve's experience may be the exception here. I don't doubt his word one bit but the general consensus is that you do lose power in the lower end of the RPM range.

There might be some nice performance advantages if you raise the redline in your tune but I would definitely not want my car to be the test mule for that experiment.
My experience is same as Steves. I've just driven another stock car the other day, and I don't believe I've lost ANY low end torque in comparison to it.

For me it pulls extremely hard to redline, and is noticeable faster overall. I'm also a 3.73 car.
Old 6/3/11, 10:26 AM
V6 Member

Sounds like I'll enjoy this addition to my Stang a LOT over here on the German Autobahns where there is no speed limit ;D
Old 6/3/11, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShowCar
I installed mine about two weeks ago. My take on it is this,

1. Less than one hour install
2. Looks great
3. The car pulls hard above 5,000 all the way to 7,300rpm.
4. I bought it all from Steeda with their tune and it works great.

Spend the money on it for its a great part and works as advertised. I didnt notice any low end torque missing but I have 3.73 gears so that might be why.

Heres a write up I did.

http://www.drscars.info/showthread.p...oss-302-Intake

Picture of the intake done.

Hope this helps with your decision.
this Looks sooo dang sexy!! nice write up and pics man!
Old 6/3/11, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

David,

When comparing a car with intake and tune to a car with intake, tune, and BOSS manifold, there is a definite possibility of low-end torque loss, yes. Will most people notice it? Probably not. 3.73's definitely help in that department.

When comparing a completely stock car to one with a BOSS manifold, intake and tune, there is absolutely no loss, anywhere. Nothing but gain gain gain!

Basically, if you enjoy the sweet howl of 7000 RPM, and want to gain 50+ rwhp while doing it..get the BOSS manifold
Old 6/4/11, 12:52 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
When comparing a car with intake and tune to a car with intake, tune, and BOSS manifold, there is a definite possibility of low-end torque loss, yes. Will most people notice it? Probably not. 3.73's definitely help in that department.

When comparing a completely stock car to one with a BOSS manifold, intake and tune, there is absolutely no loss, anywhere. Nothing but gain gain gain!

Basically, if you enjoy the sweet howl of 7000 RPM, and want to gain 50+ rwhp while doing it..get the BOSS manifold
what you just said makes me very happy. currently mine is stock, and the Manifold, CAI, and Tune are the first things i want to do to my car. then i'll move to a borla exhaust after that. very helpful advice, thanks.
Old 6/4/11, 02:55 AM

I agree with others on here. If you put CAI tune and 302 Boss Mani you lose little on the bottom end but gain a bunch up top. My question is what do we look like stock Mani with CAI and tune vs boss Mani with CAI and tune in 0-60 0-100 1/4 mile and street driving impressions with 3.73 gearing.
Old 6/4/11, 11:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by white__stallion
I agree with others on here. If you put CAI tune and 302 Boss Mani you lose little on the bottom end but gain a bunch up top. My question is what do we look like stock Mani with CAI and tune vs boss Mani with CAI and tune in 0-60 0-100 1/4 mile and street driving impressions with 3.73 gearing.
i think i'll like my car with the BOSS Manifold, CAI, and Tune. i don't drive to race or get the best times at anything. i drive for the pleasure of it. i think i will like my car pulling hard at those higher RPMs a lot. where i live, getting to high RPMs isn't hard at all since the autobahns for the most part dont have speed limits.
Old 6/5/11, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by LuisV

i think i'll like my car with the BOSS Manifold, CAI, and Tune. i don't drive to race or get the best times at anything. i drive for the pleasure of it. i think i will like my car pulling hard at those higher RPMs a lot. where i live, getting to high RPMs isn't hard at all since the autobahns for the most part dont have speed limits.
Right.....depends on what you are using it for. Bottom end tq I would go without the boss Mani if only doing a CAI and catback with tune. The latest 5.0 shoot out in 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords took his 302 Mani off and went stock with all other mods....it could've been a tuning issue though. The reason was the far felt a little lax on the bottom end.

If I were tracking the car in a road course at 5K RPM+, I would rock the 302 Mani for sure or for your high RPM autobahn application.
Old 6/6/11, 01:33 AM
V6 Member

How much would switching to a higher gear ratio after installing the BOSS Manifold help in this situation?
Old 6/6/11, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by LuisV
How much would switching to a higher gear ratio after installing the BOSS Manifold help in this situation?
Yes...it definately will. However I would have to dig in more on the mag article about the folks who went with the stock manifold at the track. Others had the Boss Mani and did great hitting 11's normally aspirated.

I'm told 4.10 is the most aggressive one should go with all other internals being stock...not sure how true that is.
Old 6/6/11, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The shop that tunes my Mustangs, Woodbine Motorsports, got some good gains with just a touch of tuning. There's definately more to be had, but this mod is for high rpm gains, it's not a low end stump puller. I've got one in my garage waiting to go on when I get some bucks for the tune...
http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/...ntake-install/
Old 6/6/11, 09:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

and a whole bunch of other crap because the manifold and tune alone won't net you 50rwhp.

Yes The article speculates that this might be possible at 8000 RPM. Get a spare motor before you try that trick.
Old 6/7/11, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

and a whole bunch of other crap because the manifold and tune alone won't net you 50rwhp.

Yes The article speculates that this might be possible at 8000 RPM. Get a spare motor before you try that trick.
You seem to make a lot of 'factual' posts. It's unfortunate that most of them are wrong.

Many a manufacturer and individual has proven the BOSS manifold alone will provide between 45-60rwhp gain at around 7100-7300rpm. The stock manifold absolutely falls on it's face over 6000-6500 RPM, whereas the BOSS manifold-equipped cars just keep pulling.
Old 6/7/11, 05:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You seem to make a lot of 'factual' posts. It's unfortunate that most of them are wrong.

Many a manufacturer and individual has proven the BOSS manifold alone will provide between 45-60rwhp gain at around 7100-7300rpm. The stock manifold absolutely falls on it's face over 6000-6500 RPM, whereas the BOSS manifold-equipped cars just keep pulling.
Link?
Old 6/7/11, 10:07 PM
V6 Member

Ok so I guess my next question is, which CAI works best with the BOSS Manifold? I've seen applications using Airaid, and JLT with the BOSS Mani. do the both fit withthe BOSS Mani with ease or has anyone ran into issues connecting these two parts?

Quick Reply: BOSS 302 Intake Manifold for 2011 GT