The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   5.0L GT Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/)
-   -   After market CAI vs Stock CAI (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/after-market-cai-vs-stock-cai-501349/)

Roelito78 10/24/11 05:20 AM

After market CAI vs Stock CAI

Hello fellow Mustang owners,

Do you guys prefer an aftermaket CAI over stock? How much difference does it make? I have heard that the stock CAI is works great with a replacement K&N filter. Is this true? Im looking at possibly changing out my stock air intake but wanted to double check with the Stang gurus first! Thanks

VTXFrank 10/24/11 05:34 AM

If you want to keep your engine warranty intact, use the drop in K&N filter. It won't require any tuning changes. However, it will give the smallest of gains.

There are a few after-market CAI's that do not require a tune. Air Raid and C&L both come to mind off the top of my head. But then, it's seems ridiculous to spend that kind of money when a K&N drop in give near the same gains.

An aftermarket tune and CAI will net you some great gains, but can also void your power train warranty if your #8 piston were to fry itself. But then, tuners now know what to do and not to do and these #8 issues aren't all that frequent any more and are always due to bad tuning from what I've seen. So if you want the CAI and a tune, go with a reputable tuning shop.

Roelito78 10/24/11 05:39 AM

Frank,

I was looking into the Roush air intake kit with no tune required. How is this kit? Will it void my warranty? Is it worth spending $215.00 on it? Thanks

VTXFrank 10/24/11 06:02 AM

"Worth" is a relative term. Is it worth it to you? Does the appearance meet your idea of a good intake? When it comes to intakes that don't require tunes, it's all up to you brother. Personally, I don't like that the Roush intake uses the stock intake tube. From the Dyno testing I've looked at, it only picks up about 5hp and 8lb/ft of torque. About the same as a K&N drop in. But if you want that open element look, I see no issues with the Roush intake and since you wouldn't need to reflash the PCM, your power train warranty shouldn't be affected.

Roelito78 10/24/11 06:22 AM

Thanks Frank! I am still new to all this performance stuff. Just wanted make sure before I purchase something that is really not going to benefit the vehicle.

Nocturnal'14 10/24/11 06:41 AM

THIS is your best bet for what your looking at....keeping warranty intact:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ter-and-ProCal

Roelito78 10/24/11 06:54 AM

Uin2it,

Looks like a nice set up and price. I also like that is a ford racing product except for the filter. I think this is the way I will go. Thanks

Bmeline916 10/24/11 08:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Uin2it
THIS is your best bet for what your looking at....keeping warranty intact:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ter-and-ProCal

I agree since if ur ford dealer does install it's covered under warranty. I personally got the roush intake at first before I did the boss and cai upgrade only because it was a combo pack with the axlebacks when I bought them and it was a great deal at 545$ for both. Personally I would just go with a larger cai and tune as u can gain anywhere between 35to40whp . And ur warranty should not be affected if the mods did not cause the problems. Check these out Larger JLT and roush kit.

Attachment 95372

Attachment 95373

Hytek 10/24/11 08:58 AM

I agree with Frank. Are you looking to tune now or possibly later? Air Raid has one of the best from what I've read. I spoke to Bama a while back when I was on the fence and that one has some of the highest gains with and without tune. I've had a K&N and didn't notice much. Once I added Bama tune it was night and day. I then added the JLT, and it was a whole new animal. Like most say, it's in the tune. I'm a Roush guy, but I wouldn't waste my money on that one. If you're not going to tune then K&N or AirRaid is your best route. I have a K&N drop in if you're interested, probably 500 miles on it.

BlackMamba03 10/24/11 09:03 AM

As said above, as long as your mods don't cause any issues, Ford shouldn't void any part of your warrenty.

To me, it's pointless to purchase a CAI and not get a tune at the same time.

My choice would be the JLT Carbon Fiber CAI kit. It looks good, lightweight, pretty decent gains and requires a tune.

Biggest piece of advice I can give is, use a reputable tuner. I've read alot of threads where people have had issues with their tuners promising certain things and the tune not being what was promised. Nothing upsets me more than reading stuff like that.

After all the reading I've done, there's only two tuners I would even consider using. BBR or Evolution Performance who has their tunes done by Jon Lund.

The #8 cylinder issue isn't a problem these days due to tuners realizing not to mess with the knock sensors or advancing timing too much.

Think long and hard before making a decision. Hope this helps. Good luck.

tj@steeda 10/24/11 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just want to put up some facts about the Steeda CAI.
Gains of up to 44 HP at peak
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-c...ang-5.0-L.html

Steeda ProFlow Cold Air Intake on an otherwise stock 2011 5.0L Mustang has achieved a blistering 1/4 mile time of 11.88 at over 116mph!

Steeda's ProFlow Cold Air Intake on an otherwise stock 2011 5.0L Mustang has achieved a blistering 1/4 mile time of 11.96 at over 115mph! Steeda was the first manufacturer to get into the 11.90 range on a radial tire. Competitors had to use slicks to
keep up.

Steeda Autosports, the world's largest aftermarket manufacturer of Ford performance equipment is once again leading the performance market with our High Velocity Cold Air Intake (CAI). This intake was designed before the car was even available using CAD data supplied exclusively by Ford Motor Company via our Technology Transfer program with Ford engineers.

This high performance CAI effectively opens up the intake system of Ford's new five-liter power plant and allows it to breath much more freely than the stock intake system allows - taking your 2011 & Up 5.0L Mustang to the next level of performance.

The 2011 & Up 5.0L Mustang’s intake system from Ford is an excellent piece, one of the best ever to come out of Dearborn. But as usual, the engineers at Steeda were up to the challenge of making it even better for the performance customer that demands more power. Our engineers started with a large surface area high-flow nano-fiber air filter, added our famous “race-tested” velocity stack entry and then designed a stainless steel heat shield with a durable rubber gasket to seal the shield against the vehicle’s hood. Next we increased the MAF housing size to 95mm and coupled it to a new higher flowing Pro-Flow inlet hose with our Cool-Tube Technology.

BlackMamba03 10/24/11 03:00 PM

Are those numbers with or without a tune? They seem rather high if they're without a tune.

Overboost 10/24/11 03:06 PM

Steeda's intake requires a tune because the MAF housing size is different.

TJ, you guys haven't had any cars come back with #8 issues, have you?

Roelito78 10/24/11 03:37 PM

Hytek,

How much for the k&n filter? Send me a pm with price

Roelito78 10/24/11 03:38 PM

Guys,

I will probably go with a tune at some time or another. I am realizing that there are numerous toys to be bought for our cars. Its simply addicting! I love it!

Roelito78 10/24/11 03:47 PM

The Steeda looks like a good option as well

black5.0 10/24/11 08:03 PM

I have a steeda cai that I'm lookin to get rid of if anyone's interested. 3k miles on it. I loved it but puttin a procharger on this weekend. Pm me if interested

tj@steeda 10/24/11 08:14 PM

We have had 0 issues with the #8 cylinder....and that is by specific design. We test all of our products to the limit so we know when and where the exact breaking point or weak spots are. In the case of the #8 cylinder issue that has appeared on so many modified as well as stock cars, there are many-many complex parameters that come into play - which all must be taken into consideration.

When we create and test our products we have a responsibility to our customers that we will not be negligent and sell a product that will cause harm to your vehicle. There may be other CAI/Tunes out there that push your engine to the limit to try to reach our gain, and that is when you start running into the #8 issues.

It is no coincidence that Steeda has a great reputation when it comes to their products and service. Our #1 one goal is to make sure the customer is satisfied with our products for not only the present but well into the future.

Glock803 10/26/11 02:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
STEEDA CAI

Before
Attachment 95433

After
Attachment 95434

mystickeith50 10/26/11 04:51 PM

Lololololol nice try, we know who u are....banned for u:lol: