Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Add Paddle Shifters to 13/14 automatics

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/17, 01:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Not enough spots on the clock spring to accommodate the extra wires.
Old 1/2/18, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been wanting to do this mod for a while and have the parts, but am confused in post #13 where to get power for the transmitter. In the picture where the red wire is tied into the yellow wire that is circled, is that where the transmitter gets power?

Sorry in advance for the dumb question.

Last edited by fuelforfire87; 1/2/18 at 02:35 PM.
Old 1/15/18, 08:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That was an empty slot on the clockspring plug. I added that yellow wire and plugged it into that empty slot and then tied the power from the transmitter to it. It will then go out the other end of the clockspring (you have to add a pin into the corresponding empty slot) and you will then splice it into the power for the receiver like I did or find another place to get power.

Last edited by jim010; 1/15/18 at 08:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fuelforfire87 (1/20/18)
Old 1/20/18, 09:59 AM

Thanks, I think it will probably make sense once I can get in there and see it for myself.
Old 1/22/18, 11:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Keep us posted.
Old 3/15/18, 03:11 PM

So how did you "Add sport select shift" I am trying to do this to my 2013 F-150 Google is barren, tune shops say go to Ford, Ford says we can only do like for VIN not those kind of upgrades. Ford corporate says go to the dealership, The dealership says we don't know how and Ford Corporate won't tell us how. I have a 2013 F-150 with the 6R80 transmission, I added the switches and added the instrument cluster but I don't know how to activate this option. Do I put a new shift strategy in? Where can I get one?
Old 3/15/18, 05:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

We can add it because the car already has sport select shift, but uses a toggle switch on the shifter. All we are doing is rerouting the wires to the steering wheel and to paddles.

Did your truck already come with the sport select shift toggle on the shifter?

But if you are talking about what I did with my 2012 that did not have it in the first place, well that was a different story. I put in a cluster that had the sport select shift coded into it. And the PCM was coded to that of a car that had the sport select shift. I have no idea if this can be done to your truck.

Last edited by jim010; 3/15/18 at 05:57 PM.
Old 3/16/18, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by jim010
We can add it because the car already has sport select shift, but uses a toggle switch on the shifter. All we are doing is rerouting the wires to the steering wheel and to paddles.

Did your truck already come with the sport select shift toggle on the shifter?

But if you are talking about what I did with my 2012 that did not have it in the first place, well that was a different story. I put in a cluster that had the sport select shift coded into it. And the PCM was coded to that of a car that had the sport select shift. I have no idea if this can be done to your truck.
how did you get your PCM coded? Who did it? What did they do? Did they just take the shift strategy of a transmission that had select shift and tell your PCM to use THAT strategy instead of factory? That is the part no one can seem to tell me how to go about doing. The dealerships nor a tune shop. Is yours a 6r80? And yes that is what I want to know is about the PCM tuning. I have the instrument cluster and the shifter. No, mine did not come with select shift. I am trying to add it.
Old 3/16/18, 12:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Drew Honnoll
how did you get your PCM coded? Who did it? What did they do? Did they just take the shift strategy of a transmission that had select shift and tell your PCM to use THAT strategy instead of factory? That is the part no one can seem to tell me how to go about doing. The dealerships nor a tune shop. Is yours a 6r80? And yes that is what I want to know is about the PCM tuning. I have the instrument cluster and the shifter. No, mine did not come with select shift. I am trying to add it.
Was Sport Select shift an option on your truck? All we are doing in this thread is adding paddles to cars that already have Sport Select Shift. If this was an option in your truck, there *might* be a way.

If it was never offered for your truck, then I do not know how to do it.

I purchased a VCM II and programmed the PCM myself by using a VIN from a Mustang that had Sport Select Shift. But how to go into the coding and program select shift is something I can't help you with.

Last edited by jim010; 3/16/18 at 12:13 PM.
Old 5/1/18, 08:17 PM

Getting ready to do this mod. Ordered a GT500 steering wheel on ebay so I can install the paddle shifters first and then figure the rest out. Thanks Jim for figuring this out for us.
Old 5/1/18, 08:18 PM

Plus the GT500 steering wheel is part leather part suede. Will match my TMI seats perfectly
Old 5/2/18, 10:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Looking forward to your pics!
Old 5/23/18, 06:57 PM

So finally making some progress on installing the paddle shifters. I got them installed onto the wheel. Now what I am trying to figure out is what type of pin goes into the wiring harness. Does anyone who has done this mod know what type of pin connector I need and where to get it? I tried to remove the pin with the orange wire that connects to the horn plate so I could see what type of connector I need but I could not get it out. I plan on finishing this mod over the weekend so it would be nice to know what pin I need so I can power the transmitter or if there is an easier way to get power. You would think that I would be able to tap into at least one of those wires in the harness but I have no idea what any of the wires are for.
Attached Thumbnails Add Paddle Shifters to 13/14 automatics-20180514_201623.jpg   Add Paddle Shifters to 13/14 automatics-20180521_230533.jpg   Add Paddle Shifters to 13/14 automatics-20180523_151855.jpg  

Last edited by fuelforfire87; 5/23/18 at 07:02 PM.
Old 5/24/18, 08:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Your not wiring it the way I did it?
Old 5/24/18, 10:25 AM

Your not wiring it the way I did it?

I plan on wiring it the way you did, I just can't figure out what type of connector pin I need to insert into the wiring harness. That's why I was asking if anyone who has done this mod knew what type of pin connector I need.
Old 5/24/18, 10:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh, ok.

I guess I didn't need to worry about it, as I just sourced pins from old harnesses that I have. Try an electronics repair shop. Show them what you have and I'm sure they will have something.
Old 5/24/18, 10:43 AM

Oh, ok.

I guess I didn't need to worry about it, as I just sourced pins from old harnesses that I have. Try an electronics repair shop. Show them what you have and I'm sure they will have something.

Will do. Yesterday i tried stopping by Frys (A PC/Electronics store) Just to see if they had any connectors that resembled the ones in the steering wheel wiring harness, but the only wiring harnesses and pin connectors they had were for PC stuff.
Old 5/27/18, 01:44 AM

So I ended up cannibalizing the wiring harness that came with the new steering wheel to get the female connectors to power the transmitter. One question though, The wire that you say continues on for the transmitter power, does it run between these two wiring harnesses? The one at the bottom of steering wheel column and the one behind it on the left side?
Attached Thumbnails Add Paddle Shifters to 13/14 automatics-20180527_022316.jpg   Add Paddle Shifters to 13/14 automatics-20180527_022436.jpg  
Old 5/27/18, 07:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If those are the clock spring connectors, then yes, power needs to go through that. Just pick and empty slot and make sure that you use the some slot on both.
Old 5/27/18, 09:48 PM

Got it figured out and the paddle shifters are installed. What I ended up doing is putting a pin in the front bottom clockspring connector (first picture of my last post) and spliced it into the power wire for my gauge pillar (which is powered from an add a fuse in the fuse box on the passenger side kick panel. I then tested the pins in the clockspring connector, the one that I added the pin to into the connector and the ground pin, with a multimeter, and it read 12 volts with the key in the on position. The wiring harness at the front bottom had 3 empty spots, so I chose the 2nd one from the left (green wire in first picture), and luckily i guessed right the first try.

Installing the receiver was straight forward. I ended up powering it from the radio power and ground wires. The shift up and down wires at the shifter were a different color than what jim posted, but this is probably due to ford making changes when building the car. Pin 11 was correct, Green wire with white stripe, but pins 9 and 10 were different. Pin 9 had a grey wire instead of a brown one, and pin 10 was just a green wire instead of green/purple. Just a heads up for anyone else who wants to do this mod.

I installed my receiver in the same spot as Jim did, and routed the wires behind the dash and into where the radio wiring is. The wires on the transmitter for shift up and down were not long enough so I had to extend them to reach the shifter wiring harness. I also accidentally cut the green wire while trying to install the wire tap so that was not fun. Luckily I have a soldering Iron, lots of spare wire, and heat shrink, so I fixed it.

Reassembly was pretty straight forward. The only issue that concerns me now is that the wheel will not lock when the car is off. Is it possible the clockspring is damaged? I was careful not to turn it when the wheel was off. It did get rotated slightly but I always returned it to 12 o'clock like how it was when I removed the steering wheel. Anyone else have this issue?

All in all though I am glad I did this mod. While the paddle shifters aren't lightning responsive like those on my GTI (which has a dual clutch trans) it is a lot better than the rocker switch on the shifter.

P.S.

Love the alcantara/leather gt500 steering wheel. I was debating on getting the Boss 302 one which is all alcantara, but it is 100 bucks more. A good compromise since the alcantara is where you usually have your hands on the wheel anyways.
Attached Thumbnails Add Paddle Shifters to 13/14 automatics-20180527_155952-1-.jpg   Add Paddle Shifters to 13/14 automatics-20180527_220833-1-.jpg   Add Paddle Shifters to 13/14 automatics-20180527_220845-1-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Add Paddle Shifters to 13/14 automatics