Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Traitor wins at Talladega

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/12, 01:15 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
So if anyone gets offered a new job and takes it then in turn you too are a traitor. Nice logic . . .
Old 10/12/12, 01:21 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
So if anyone gets offered a new job and takes it then in turn you too are a traitor. Nice logic . . .
Isn't that pretty much what happened to LeBron James?
Old 10/12/12, 01:30 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Zastava_101

Isn't that pretty much what happened to LeBron James?
Sure, but I don't consider him a traitor. However, I understand the frustration many have when high price athletes (or Alan Mulally) leave, but if a similar opportunity arose for you (or anyone) I wouldn't consider that person a traitor for trying to better their life and family.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 10/13/12 at 03:53 AM.
Old 10/12/12, 01:38 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

IMO, the move to Gibbs is not a better move in Matt's career. He's gonna be #3 driver behind Hamlin and Busch and because of his quiet personality, I won't be surprised if he lose Home Depot as a sponsor.
After all, he's the most underrated driver in NASCAR and doesn't get media's attention no matter what he does. And sponsors don't really like that.
Old 10/12/12, 02:36 PM
Post *****

I suspect he is getting a bump in pay i.e., Dale Jarrett when he jumped to Toyota. Might be his last big pay day. (If that is the case I wonder why Toyota likes to pay aging drivers substantial sums of money.)
Old 10/12/12, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's a point of view thing. But the traitor aspect kicks in when ones logic overcomes his sense of loyalty. Money equals logic in this case. You can excuse this action if you want, but from where I stand, he is selling out just like Dale Jarrett, Mark Martin and whoever else crosses that line!
Old 10/12/12, 05:07 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by red pony
It's a point of view thing. But the traitor aspect kicks in when ones logic overcomes his sense of loyalty. Money equals logic in this case. You can excuse this action if you want, but from where I stand, he is selling out just like Dale Jarrett, Mark Martin and whoever else crosses that line!
So its is safe to assume if you get a better offer for your career that helps your family you will turn it down?
Old 10/12/12, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 10/12/12, 06:37 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

So its is safe to assume if you get a better offer for your career that helps your family you will turn it down?
I think the situation is little different for us average Joe's and multimillion dollars athletes.
Guys like Matt Kenseth don't have to worry about whether they will be able to make a car or house payment ...
Kenseth could've easily had his job as a driver at Roush for the next 10 or 15 years and then, after retirement, as a manager at Roush.

What exactly is gonna happen at Gibbs? Gibbs is a team that doesn't mind to get rid of drivers when they don't perform, even when they have spent years with the team (Bobby Labonte, Joey Logano). Roush is nothing like that, guys like Edwards, Biffle, Kenseth and Martin could've had their job for as long as they wanted to drive.

If Kenseth doesn't win in the next year or two, I'm pretty sure he's gonna get replaced by somebody younger. It's a big risk for him.
Old 10/12/12, 10:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think we all do on this thread including Zoran, but when you see Chevy and Toyota get all the good drivers and Nascar giving them a ton of room to do whatever they want, the Ford teams and their drivers get the shaft making it tough to win! Look at Edwards. Championship driver last year. Loses to Tony Stewart who out of nowhere in the Chase wins half the races in a car that was so disgustingly fast that Nascar needed to investigate but obviously didn't. Why did that happen? Because Nascar is queer for Chevy! If the same Ford driver wins as many races as Tony did in the chase, they (Nascar and their'bought' commentaters ) say the Ford drivers are 'stinking up the show'! So with that in mind, you go ahead and wish him well. He is tired of doing whatever it takes to put Ford in the championship circle, which is an up hill battle!
And its amazing that GM is failing again... Especially since the bailout didnt do anything to turn this company around.. GM Fails = Obama Fails and the media wont let that story happen....

Last edited by jacostang; 10/12/12 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10/12/12, 10:44 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by jacostang
And its amazing that GM is failing again... It just seems that even the media is against Ford, especially since the bailout didnt do anything to turn this company around..
Sounds strangely familiar to the way they handle the political climate for some reason, hmmmmmmm................
Old 10/12/12, 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=Zastava_101;6463705]I think the situation is little different for us average Joe's and multimillion dollars athletes.
Guys like Matt Kenseth don't have to worry about whether they will be able to make a car or house payment ...
Kenseth could've easily had his job as a driver at Roush for the next 10 or 15 years and then, after retirement, as a manager at Roush.

Perfect point... Lets see I can make so many Millions staying with Roush but I will make a few more million going to Gibbs. It makes me ill just thinking about it. It would be totally different if he was let go or pushed out.
He wasnt.. Seriously how much more does one make? Jarrett bailed for a ton more money.
Old 10/12/12, 10:55 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Everybody worries about making a house payment.

If you're not worried you're stupid.

The first and foremost thing is for him to provide for his family. Some fans get a little carried away. All things equal then yeah maybe he can stay with current but if he can make more bucks then in order to secure his family's well being for years and maybe generations that's his priority.

And if you honestly think you'd do any different then perhaps you might be either too loyal or a bit of a fanboi for your manufacturer.

Totally not directed at anyone. Just generalizations.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 10/12/12 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10/12/12, 11:53 PM
GT Member

Not that it applies to NASCAR drivers, but loyalty weighs heavy with me as both an employee and a manager. I've got a great job with people I've worked with for near 30 years. I feel a sense of loyalty to the folks that have helped move our business along, especially the younger ones. From a management aspect I throw resumes away from what I call job hoppers. Two years here, two years there... Don't need that. Put your time in and be rewarded.

I saw the end of that race and all I can say is wow... All those laps thrown in the shidder.
Old 10/14/12, 05:07 AM
Post *****

You must feel the same way about Ford Motor Company since Alan Mulally and Jim Farley both left their previous firms. I, for one, am glad they left Boeing and Toyota.

Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree.
Old 10/14/12, 05:18 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Zastava_101

I think the situation is little different for us average Joe's and multimillion dollars athletes.
Same principle.

Sometimes we aren't privy to all the details surrounding events played out in the media, so to judge one without said details can, at times, be irresponsible.
Old 10/14/12, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Same principle.

Sometimes we aren't privy to all the details surrounding events played out in the media, so to judge one without said details can, at times, be irresponsible.
What you said might be true, but on any given race day, our favorite Ford drivers are defecting us to go make more money than they deserve already! It isn't a matter of money as the bottom line either...... it's the same thing as type casting..... it seems that Matt and others want approval from Nascar because they feel that maybe they might be looked at with more desirability from Nascar if they drove anything but a Ford!
Old 10/21/12, 03:52 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Win #3 for Kenseth today at Kansas.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 10/21/12 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10/21/12, 07:15 PM

Nice Win, too bad for Biff, hes done now...
Old 10/22/12, 12:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It certainly looks like we can stick a fork in the Biff now. Hard to imagine Matt would leave such a winning team. Now if only Roush could field another team with David Ragan as the driver.

Quick Reply: Traitor wins at Talladega