Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Newman in Chase-MWR Hammered With Record Penalties

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/13, 05:44 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edwards' gonna win the championship. He said so after Richmond's victory.
Old 9/13/13, 06:19 PM
Cobra Member

Well if the drivers intentionally did things to rig the race then why shouldn't they step in?
Old 9/13/13, 11:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face

Just the nature of the chase format is enough to promote teams to behave in a manner to get into the chase. How many times has a driver missed the chase because he got spun one too many times leading up to the chase ? Don't that influence the chase lineup also ?
Old 9/14/13, 12:09 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Zastava_101
Edwards' gonna win the championship. He said so after Richmond's victory.
Yeah, that's not going to happen, he drives a Ford. NASCAR is so in bed with Chevy and Toyota that things will work out for them.

I was watching a NASCAR update on the news the other day and they actually said (in a depressed voice) "Its been 2 long, depressing years since we've been able to see Jimmie Johnson win a championship" and they proceeded to interview him about the chase this year.

I didn't used to be a cynical bastard, but by this point I'd say they (those inside NASCAR, the company that runs everything) already know who will win the championship. Its predetermined, its planned out, the fake cautions are ready to be thrown when needed to put their people back in the lead.

If I had to guess, Jimmie Johnson will win the championship again this year, and they will do whatever it takes to make sure it happens.
Old 9/14/13, 04:19 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Well if the drivers intentionally did things to rig the race then why shouldn't they step in?
1. This isn't the first team orders incident, it might not be the 50th. But suddenly now it's necessary to torpedo their own format just to let Gordon in?

2. If they're going to punish an extra pit stop, what about all the teams that put wrecked cars back on the track to run around just to move up a spot or two in the finishing order? That's a safety hazard, and it happens nearly every weekend.

3. This is the second time they've changed things specifically because of what happened to one of their favorite Chevy teams. Remember when the Chase "had" to be extended to 12 cars because you know who missed the top 10 one year?
Old 9/14/13, 08:53 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Drivers react to adding Gordon to Chase: After NASCAR stunned the garage by installing #24-Jeff Gordon as the 13th playoff driver in the Chase for the Sprint Cup - a position which did not exist before Friday  drivers reacted with a mix of shock and confusion. "I'm very happy that Jeff is in the Chase," Hendrick Motorsports teammate #48-Jimmie Johnson said. "But in my opinion, there should be 12 cars. One in, one out should be the deal. It's not."
When NASCAR Chairman Brian France awarded Gordon an extra spot - he said Friday he believed Gordon was the victim of foul play and was at a disadvantage during Saturday night's Chase-setting race at Richmond International Raceway - no one was quite sure how to take it. Except #56-Martin Truex Jr.
"I'm not even sure what to say at this point," he said. "I'm kind of at a loss for words. They kick me out to make a spot for somebody and then they don't do the same for the other guys. It's just unfair and (there's) nothing I can do about it."
Gordon's Hendrick Motorsports teammate #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. seemed confused. "I was probably just as surprised as anybody that anything happened, because we're so far into the week," Earnhardt Jr. said. "It's just really extraordinary and unprecedented. I don't know what's fair anymore, you know what I mean?" he said.
Johnson wondered why the penalties to MWR were "far different" than the probation given to Front Row Motorsports and Penske Racing for what he believed were similar actions. "Through all of this, we're all just looking for consistency," he said.
Defending Sprint Cup Series champion Brad Keselowski said the decision "hasn't sunk in yet," but added he was "not shocked." "I don't know if that's good or bad that I'm not shocked," he said. "But at some point, you expect the unexpected."(USA Today)(9-14-2013)
Old 9/14/13, 08:58 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
It's not like I've watched many in the last few years anyway, but I've seen the last nascar race I'll ever see. It's one (bad enough) thing to kick people out, but to give him a position is just theatrical nonsense.
Old 9/14/13, 01:54 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

All 43 teams must drive hard.
That's what NASCAR told the Sprint Cup Series field today in a closed door meeting in response to the race manipulation allegations at Richmond that have sent the sanctioning body retreating and reacting in unprecedented ways.

But wait, here comes the kicker. By France's own admission, this new policy involves subjectivity on the part of NASCAR. And, according to Mike Helton, the enforcement of any violations of the 100 percent rule are up to NASCAR's discretion.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar...6--nascar.html
Old 9/14/13, 02:00 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Am I the only one who's shocked that NASCAR didn't make up a new rule that would allow Danica Patrick too to get in the Chase?
Old 9/14/13, 02:04 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Personally I think you kick guys out but you don't put guys in. That's just stupid. You can't really say for sure what would have happened Ren up to the final second. That's assuming. And there's no place for it in sports. If NASCAR is a sport which I'm not sure it is. Is WWE a sport?
Old 9/16/13, 12:53 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
A joke of a week for NASCAR . . . and no one could find $50K to have the new fangled Air Titan at the track! http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...titan/2818659/

And probably not cool when NBC Nightly News has a story asking if the previous race in Richmond was rigged?! Wow . . .
Old 9/16/13, 09:30 PM
NTTAWWT

nascar showing innovation? I'll be damned!

In all honesty, that Air Titan is pretty neat.
Old 9/19/13, 02:28 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Am I the only one who's shocked that NASCAR didn't make up a new rule that would allow Danica Patrick too to get in the Chase?
NASCAR (by which I mean the France Mafia) has no interest in Danica winning. If she wins alot she'll stop being the token sexy girl, and soon less sexy girls will want in too. They're going to keep her just happy enough to stay, but that's it. Nothing to the extent they do for their boys.
Old 9/19/13, 09:34 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

NAPA Auto Parts leaving Michael Waltrip Racing at end of year UPDATE: NAPA posted the following message on their Facebook page Thursday morning:
"After thorough consideration, NAPA has made the difficult decision to end its sponsorship arrangement with Michael Waltrip Racing effective December 31, 2013. NAPA believes in fair play and does not condone actions such as those that led to the penalties assessed by NASCAR. We remain supportive of the millions of NASCAR fans and will evaluate our future position in motorsports."(9-19-2013)
UPDATE: ******* Spencer, NAPA's Vice President, Marketing Strategy, sent the following company bulletin Thursday morning:
"NAPA announced today that, after due consideration, it has decided to end its sponsorship arrangement with Michael Waltrip Racing (MWR) effective December 31, 2013. As many of you are aware, NASCAR determined that MWR attempted to manipulate race results at Richmond, Virginia, on September 7, 2013. NASCAR assessed a large fine, deducted 50 points from each of the three MWR drivers in the race and suspended or banned other members of the MWR team.
NAPA believes in fair play and we are very disappointed in the actions that led to the NASCAR penalties. We have made NAPAs decision known to MWR and posted a statement on our Facebook page. There will be significant media coverage and discussion among racing fans and we expect that our decision to terminate our sponsorship will generate additional attention. The decision was difficult, but we believe is the right thing to do.
We appreciate in advance your support of our marketing efforts. We will continue to evaluate our future position as it relates to motorsports."
MWR Statement: Michael Waltrip Racing respects the decision NAPA announced today following the events at Richmond. There is no doubt, the story of Michael Waltrip Racing begins with NAPA Auto Parts, but there are many more chapters yet to be written. MWR has the infrastructure and support of Toyota for three teams plus three Chase-caliber, race-winning drivers. With the support of our corporate partners we are preparing to field three teams in 2014. MWR is a resilient organization capable of winning races and competing for the championship and that remains our sole focus.(MWR)(9-19-2013)
Old 9/19/13, 10:53 AM
Post *****

Dang . . . MWR bounced by NAPA! Interesting . . . .
Old 9/19/13, 01:47 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Sounds like Michael and the gang should have opened up a can of that NAPA-know-how for some advice before before sandbagging the Richmond race.
Old 9/19/13, 09:11 PM
NTTAWWT

MWR can thank the France mafia for that one. The total crap they started is too much for a company like NAPA to handle, so they were gone.
Old 9/20/13, 09:41 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I like Waltrip Racing. I love to see team like MWR that started with nothing and became a pretty respected team, with two drivers in the Chase this year. Its sad that they're being punished like this just so NASCAR can please cry-baby Hendrick.
Old 9/20/13, 11:00 AM
Post *****

I like Waltrip Racing. I love to see team like MWR that started with nothing and became a pretty respected team, with two drivers in the Chase this year. Its sad that they're being punished like this just so NASCAR can please cry-baby Hendrick.
Let's wait and see where (and if) NAPA lands in the next couple of years before your throw out the Hendrick conspiracy. And (seemingly) no one forced NAPA to drop MWR. His other sponsors haven't . . . yet.
Old 9/20/13, 11:40 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

According to Jayski, 5-Hour Energy has not decided yet if they will stay with the team in 2014.

Quick Reply: Newman in Chase-MWR Hammered With Record Penalties