Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Nascar trying to slow down the Penske Fords

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/13, 12:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Nascar trying to slow down the Penske Fords

Why am I not surprised that Nascar is trying to slow down the Penske Fords ? Ford race cars have lead so very few laps this season. You would think Nascar would want some competitive Ford race teams. Remember the year when Tony Stewart won the Championship, he was gaing 20 car lengths on everyone going into the corners during the chase races. I dont recall Nascar checking his car any closer than his competitors. Instead of slowing the Penske cars down, Nascar should be doing something to allow the Fords to be more competitive.
Old 4/15/13, 12:24 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why not slow them down? If it safer!!!
Old 4/15/13, 03:49 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NASCAR wouldn't comment why the Penske team was being targeted
probably because Jimmie Johnson said "hey, those Fords are too fast.

Seriously, though, this is odd. I generally support being aggressive with inspections and penalizing illegal mods. If this had been a post-race inspection, I wouldn't bat an eye. But this happening in the last second smells wrong. Don't recall it ever happening to the 48 car, that's for sure.
Old 4/15/13, 07:26 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Moosetang
probably because Jimmie Johnson said "hey, those Fords are too fast.

Seriously, though, this is odd. I generally support being aggressive with inspections and penalizing illegal mods. If this had been a post-race inspection, I wouldn't bat an eye. But this happening in the last second smells wrong. Don't recall it ever happening to the 48 car, that's for sure.
Old 4/15/13, 09:55 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Keselowski lashes out at NASCAR: #2-Brad Keselowski lashed out at NASCAR officials after Saturday's race at Texas Motor Speedway because of NASCAR inspectors forcing his team to change the rear-end housing in the #2 Ford before the race. Both cars for Penske Racing, including teammate #22-Joey Logano, had to make the change moments before the race. Logano barely made it out in time for the green flag. Logano started in the back, but finished fifth. Keselowski finished ninth. "I have one good thing to say," Keselowski said. "That's my team and effort they put in today in fighting back with the absolute bull that's been the last seven days in this garage area. The things I've seen over the last seven days have me questioning everything that I believe in, and I'm not happy about it. I don't have anything positive to say and I probably should just leave it at that."
But he didn't. Knowing major penalties are likely for his team, the defending Sprint Cup champion made his feelings clear. "There's so much stuff going on ... you have no f------ idea what's going on,'' he said. "And that's not your fault and that's not a slam on you. I could tell you there's nobody, no team in this garage with the integrity of the 2 team. And the way we've been treated over the last seven days is absolutely shameful. I feel like we've been targeted over the last seven days more than I've ever seen a team targeted. But my guys kept their heads on straight and they showcased why they are a winning team and championship team. We're not going to take it. We're not going to be treated this way."(see more at ESPN.com)(4-14-2013)
Old 4/15/13, 11:30 AM
Cobra Member

Unhappy

I was looking forward to the NRA 500 because the Roush Cars have done well in the previous races there. I have had a hard time watching most of the races so far this year because the Ford race cars appear to be at a disadvantage. The Penske Fords were showing they had some potential to win. Now this deal with the close scrutiny of Penske Fords has dimmed my hopes of seeing a Ford in Victory lane.
Old 4/15/13, 11:42 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Ford still has 4 drivers in the top 10 (Keselowski 2nd, Biffle 4th, Edwards 6th, Logano 9th), same as Chevy and more than Toyota, so I think so far things are working out pretty well. Logano finally has the freedom that he needed; I'm glad that he's doing well.
Old 4/15/13, 11:54 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
another reason why nascar is boring..
Old 4/16/13, 07:28 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

UPDATE 2: If garage gossip is to be believed, somebody dropped a dime on NASCAR champion Brad Keselowski and his Penske Racing team at Texas Motor Speedway. The story blowing like wildfire Monday through NASCAR goes like this: Keselowski was parked at Texas next to Jimmie Johnson, while teammate Joey Logano was further down the garage parked next to Jeff Gordon. The assigned spots gave Hendrick Motorsports crews crystal clear views of the Penske cars all weekend As the story goes, there may have been eavesdropping on team chatter over the scanner during practice runs. Did someone from Hendrick ask NASCAR to take a closer look at the Penske cars? On race day, NASCAR inspectors were indeed sniffing around looking for an infraction. What they found in the rear-end housings on the #2 and #22 Fords were confiscated - Logano barely made the start of the race - though NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton curiously avoided a very important word in explaining the problem with the Penske cars. Pemberton never said the cars were illegal.
When the dust settles, crew chiefs Paul Wolfe and Todd Gordon will likely be sidelined for several weeks while Keselowski and Logano are stripped of critical points in the standings. Remember, it will be for something that hasn't been deemed illegal, at least not yet. It's more likely this is a case of something in development that the Penske crew was trying and NASCAR decided was too close to the edge. And there's the rub in all of this. NASCAR gets to decide when a team has crept too close to a non-existent line in the rule book.
Should the Penske organization get hit with stiff penalties this week, then NASCAR needs to answer the what, why and how to help everyone understand exactly what is and isn't "in the spirit of the rule."(Associated Press)(4-16-2013)
Old 4/16/13, 08:49 AM

I have been in racing all my life my dad has changed tires in all three big series of NASCAR. He has told some really interesting stories of inspections in all of those series. From teams taping 100 dollar bills under the car to taking care of them after the race. And Chevy has been in NASCAR pocket for a long time the dodges Toyota and ford where making a more power when the did the fuel Chang. NASCAR step in and choke them back. NASCAR has went down hill in the last few years IMO. Trying to make fair for every make on every track just makes for boring racing sometimes. I think all this has a reason to do with dodge pulling out this year
Old 4/16/13, 10:45 AM
Cobra Member

Some races can be boring. I think that is true of all forms of racing. I go to races and appreciate what I see. No one knows if a race will be exciting or boring. There are usually a lot of different scenarios going on within a race. The team stragies make the races interesting. The big thing I dont like about Nascar racing this year is that the Ford drivers are unable to lead very many laps, yet the commentators talk about how fast the Fords are. As a Ford fan, it is dissapointing to watch a race and not see a Ford driver lead a race.
From what I hear, a number of former Hendrick employees are now Nascar inspectors. As Chevy adds say, Chevy runs deep. They certainly have a deep influence in how Nascar operates.
Old 4/16/13, 04:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
UPDATE 2: If garage gossip is to be believed, somebody dropped a dime on NASCAR champion Brad Keselowski and his Penske Racing team at Texas Motor Speedway. The story blowing like wildfire Monday through NASCAR goes like this: Keselowski was parked at Texas next to Jimmie Johnson, while teammate Joey Logano was further down the garage parked next to Jeff Gordon. The assigned spots gave Hendrick Motorsports crews crystal clear views of the Penske cars all weekend As the story goes, there may have been eavesdropping on team chatter over the scanner during practice runs. Did someone from Hendrick ask NASCAR to take a closer look at the Penske cars? On race day, NASCAR inspectors were indeed sniffing around looking for an infraction. What they found in the rear-end housings on the #2 and #22 Fords were confiscated - Logano barely made the start of the race - though NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton curiously avoided a very important word in explaining the problem with the Penske cars. Pemberton never said the cars were illegal.
When the dust settles, crew chiefs Paul Wolfe and Todd Gordon will likely be sidelined for several weeks while Keselowski and Logano are stripped of critical points in the standings. Remember, it will be for something that hasn't been deemed illegal, at least not yet. It's more likely this is a case of something in development that the Penske crew was trying and NASCAR decided was too close to the edge. And there's the rub in all of this. NASCAR gets to decide when a team has crept too close to a non-existent line in the rule book.
Should the Penske organization get hit with stiff penalties this week, then NASCAR needs to answer the what, why and how to help everyone understand exactly what is and isn't "in the spirit of the rule."(Associated Press)(4-16-2013)
It really was Hendrick?!
Old 4/16/13, 04:32 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

There's a big surprise, huh?
Old 4/16/13, 05:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Why not slow them down? If it safer!!!
That's what happened when nobody could keep up with Bill Elliot.
Old 4/17/13, 08:32 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Brad Keselowski feels 'targeted' by NASCAR

Brad Keselowski believes he and his Penske team are the victims of a NASCAR witch hunt.
The 2012 Sprint Cup champion arrived late to the Texas Motor Speedway grid after NASCAR confiscated parts from the rear of his car following pre-race inspections.

Team-mate Joey Logano also had parts confiscated and was subsequently moved to the back of the field as officials deemed he had not arrived on the grid on time.

NASCAR's vice president for competition Robin Pemberton told reporters that parts on the Penske Fords were "not in the spirit of the rule[s]."

Keselowski hit back however, saying he and his squad are being subjected to unfair and shameful scrutiny.

"I feel like we have been targeted over the last seven days more than I have ever seen a team targeted in my life," he told reporters at Texas.

"The way we have been treated over the last seven days is absolutely shameful.

"I can tell you there is no team [in the paddock], with the integrity of the #2 team. The things I've seen over the last seven days have me questioning everything I believe in.

"I don't have a lot of good things to say right now. I take that back, I have one good thing to say - and that's the effort my team put in fighting back against the absolute bull****.

"We're not going to take it; we're not going to be treated this way."

Penske's director of competition Travis Geisler insisted the team was not doing anything untoward, adding: "There isn't anything in there that's groundbreaking as far as new pieces and parts.

"It's a sport that moves all the time. [NASCAR is] doing what they need to do to ensure an even playing field, which I certainly agree with."

Keselowski finished ninth at Texas and sits second in the championship, nine points behind Jimmie Johnson.

Logano meanwhile fought from the back of the grid to come home fifth, moving into 11th overall as a result.

Penske could yet be penalised over the confiscated rear-end housing parts.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106783
Old 4/17/13, 11:19 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

As a result of this violation and as it pertains to the #2 car the following penalties have been assessed:
· Crew chief Paul Wolfe has been fined $100,000 and suspended from NASCAR until the completion of the next six NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship points events (including the non-points Sprint All-Star Race) and placed on probation until Dec. 31.
· Car chief Jerry Kelley, team engineer Brian Wilson and team manager Travis Geisler (serves as team manager for both the #2 and #22 cars) have been suspended from NASCAR until the completion of the next six NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship points events (including the non-points Sprint All-Star Race) and placed on probation until Dec. 31.
· The loss of 25 championship driver (Brad Keselowski) and 25 championship owner (Roger Penske) points.
As it pertains to the #22 car the following penalties have been assessed:
· Crew chief Todd Gordon has been fined $100,000 and suspended from NASCAR until the completion of the next six NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship points events (including the non-points Sprint All-Star Race) and placed on probation until Dec. 31.
· Car chief Raymond Fox and team engineer Samuel Stanley have been suspended from NASCAR until the completion of the next six NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship points events (including the non-points Sprint All-Star Race) and placed on probation until Dec. 31.
· The loss of 25 championship driver (Joey Logano) and 25 championship owner (Walt Czarnecki) points.(NASCAR)
Old 4/17/13, 11:23 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NASCAR gets to decide when a team has crept too close to a
non-existent line in the rule book.

What was the alleged violation? I haven't read that yet.

That's some outrageous penalties.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/17/13 at 11:26 AM.
Old 4/17/13, 11:44 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I agree. Even NASCAR said that parts were not illegal - so why is Penske getting the penalty? It makes no sense.
Old 4/17/13, 11:47 AM
Cobra Member

Unhappy

Man, those are some severe penalties. To me, it would appear the Penske teams were trying to create a level playing field by doing what was necessary to be competitive. I dont recall the Penske cars being dominate by leading a lot of laps and winning most of the races. Nascar needs to tell what was so illegal about the rearends in the Penske Fords.
Old 4/17/13, 06:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
Man, those are some severe penalties. To me, it would appear the Penske teams were trying to create a level playing field by doing what was necessary to be competitive. I dont recall the Penske cars being dominate by leading a lot of laps and winning most of the races. Nascar needs to tell what was so illegal about the rearends in the Penske Fords.

The Fords will never win another championship as long as Hendrick's has his way. Whatever Hendrick's says, Nascar does. Simple as that. I long for the good ole days of Bill Elliot and Swervin Irvan blowing away those Chevy's!

Quick Reply: Nascar trying to slow down the Penske Fords