The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Motorsports (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f772/)
-   -   The King on Danica...... (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f772/king-danica-528188/)

Rather B.Blown 2/10/14 10:31 PM

The King on Danica......

:rofl2::rofl2:

Richard Petty: Danica Patrick will win Sprint Cup race ‘if everybody else stayed home’

http://tracking.si.com/2014/02/10/ri...rint-cup-race/

Richard Petty doesn’t believe in Danica Patrick’s racing acumen.
The 76-year-old, a seven-time NASCAR series champion, didn’t pull any punches when asked if Patrick would ever win a Sprint Cup race.

“[Only] if everybody else stayed home,” Petty told reporters on Sunday at the Canadian Motorsports Expo in Toronto. “If she’d have been a male, nobody would ever know if she’d showed up at a race track. This is a female deal that’s driving her. There’s nothing wrong with that, because that’s good PR for me. More fans come out, people are more interested in it. She has helped to draw attention to the sport, which helps everybody in the sport.”

Patrick finished 27th in the standings last season — her rookie year — and her best finish came at Daytona, where she finished eighth after being the first woman to start from the pole position. It was her only top-10 finish in 46 Sprint Cup races.

“When NASCAR Cup racing first started, it was racing,” Petty said. “Over a period of years, with our sponsorships, what we had to do for TV, to get the fans to come, the first thing you know is that the race is secondary, because all the rest of it is buildup, buildup, buildup.

Patrick finished third in the 2009 Indy 500, the best finish for a woman, while Petty won 200 races in his 35-year career.

Evil_Capri 2/11/14 04:35 AM

She would have had a better chance of winning (again) in IndyCar, in my opinion. But I can't fault her for generating a lot of dollars for herself and many others. I think these comments are also a bit more on point than his previous comments, stating 'racing is not a sport for women.' Although . . . history has proven his point (at least in NASCAR).

Tron 2/11/14 05:49 AM

LOL Boom! :D

Automatic 5.0 2/11/14 06:24 AM

He only said what EVERYONE ELSE is thinking as far as her chances of a win. Maybe it is good for the sport, too. I haven't watched a race in a while now and I doubt I will get interested again. The cars are ugly and look nothing like the real thing. They should have real cars out there with modifications to the interiors(for weight reduction and safety) and engines (for speed) and suspension but be based off of the real thing. I'd like to see the Charger race against the Bowtie SS against the Taurus SHO and the Camry.

StangMahn 2/11/14 07:02 AM

I agree with him. She's just not good enough. If she was male, she'd never have made it to the top tier of the Nationwide series. There are far more talented women drivers around, but she's the one that's recognized.

PonyOx 2/11/14 07:09 PM

0 wins in 46 career starts, but she has a loooong way to go to catch up with Dave Blaney, Kenny Wallace, Mike Skinner and Richard Childress.

Drivers need talent and the ability to bring in sponsorship in order to make it to the NASCAR national series, plus she's not the first or last open wheeler to struggle in stock cars.

I'd love to see her pull out a win at 'Dega or Daytona if only to watch heads explode everywhere.

Rather B.Blown 2/11/14 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by PonyOx (Post 6757340)
0 wins in 46 career starts, but she has a loooong way to go to catch up with Dave Blaney, Kenny Wallace, Mike Skinner and Richard Childress.

I don't recall any of them being hyped up like they were the second coming of Jesus.

PonyOx 2/11/14 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown (Post 6757366)
I don't recall any of them being hyped up like they were the second coming of Jesus.

By whom, the networks with NASCAR contracts and a vested interest in gaining ratings share? Sure. That's a good reason to be peeved at her presence in Cup.

By playing the hype card, you're just admitting that you're not smart or savvy enough to understand that people selling a product often exaggerate.

StangMahn 2/11/14 09:26 PM

^I'm going to respond to that statement with...

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....[gasps]...hahahahahahhahahahah.

Everyone knows that people tend to hype up their products to sell them, but she's far beyond that.She's probably the most notable driver in NASCAR to people that don't watch it. And why? She's a woman. That's the ONLY reason.

2k7gtcs 2/11/14 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by StangMahn (Post 6757407)
^I'm going to respond to that statement with... bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....[gasps]...hahahahahahhahahahah. Everyone knows that people tend to hype up their products to sell them, but she's far beyond that.She's probably the most notable driver in NASCAR to people that don't watch it. And why? She's a woman. That's the ONLY reason.

Not just a woman but a decent looking woman

If she was 200 pounds nobody would give a ****

Except for the BBW lovers

Evil_Capri 2/12/14 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs (Post 6757417)
Not just a woman but a decent looking woman

If she was 200 pounds nobody would give a ****

Except for the BBW lovers

That and she has done just enough in her career (first female to lead at Indy 500, one of two women to compete in the Daytona 500 and Indy 500, won a race, won a couple of poles, etc.), and is very personable and appealing to sponsors. (More so than Sarah Fisher was or Simona de Silvestro is now it seems.) If she wasn't making money for people, she wouldn't be racing. However, she's only won ONE race in her professional career.

AlsCobra 2/12/14 05:22 AM

John Force's girls are way hotter and faster. Petty is just being straight up and ain't pulling any punches. Nothing he said can be disproven. But as crappy as NASCAR is anyways, I completely understand why she is so popular. Most of nascar is just a beauty contest anyways. Who's your favorite driver? Usually the one who's been winning. Or the one with your favorite sponsor. It's right next to professional wrestling and usually share a fan base. I still can't understand how the worst form of car racing brings in the biggest money. But then again, the vast majority are retards anyways.

Evil_Capri 2/12/14 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra (Post 6757483)
I still can't understand how the worst form of car racing brings in the biggest money. But then again, the vast majority are retards anyways.

Who? The people that don't understand, or the people that watch?

2 Go Snake 2/13/14 03:16 PM

I would not underrate Danica on a restrictor plate track. She has made good passes on many fast cars at Daytona. She could make the right strategic moves at the right time and be in the lead at the end to win the Daytona 500. On the non restrictor plate tracks she has yet to prove herself. Sponsors do like her. Having good sponsorship helps to make it possible to get wins. Now, if the Fords are strong this year, she may find winning not easy.

Getportfolio 2/13/14 03:27 PM

Shes hot!
Let's enjoy that.

AlsCobra 2/13/14 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Getportfolio (Post 6758232)
Shes hot! Let's enjoy that.

She's a 6 1/2 on a good day. But I guess she's hot compared to most nascar drivers. :shame:

Getportfolio 2/13/14 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra (Post 6758240)
She's a 6 1/2 on a good day. But I guess she's hot compared to most nascar drivers. :shame:

Haha!
I gotta take what I can get.

2k7gtcs 2/13/14 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra (Post 6758240)

Unless you gay

NTTAWWT

exchallenger 2/13/14 04:47 PM

Danica seems to get on great teams and has great cars to race and qualifies with good times, but when it comes to actually racing...not very successful. Richard Petty is one of the few people on planet Earth who could say what he said and not be pilloried for it.

Rog13GTCS 2/13/14 06:28 PM

I think she's hot, she's got a tight fit body. I'd go 7.5 looks, 8.5 body. I really liked her at first, but I'm long over that. The past several years she's come across as whiny, pointing the fingers at everyone else. Never her fault if something goes wrong. She also seems like a B in interviews, arrogant too. I'm Danica beautiful Queen of Auto racing. Personality I'd give her a 2.