The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Motorsports (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f772/)
-   -   •Kenseth leaving Roush at end of season; replaced by Stenhouse, Jr. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f772/kenseth-leaving-roush-end-season-replaced-stenhouse-jr-510604/)

Zastava_101 7/7/12 10:09 AM

Kenseth does have results behind him, but still can't get sponsors.

skunk21 7/7/12 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Synyster_Vengeance (Post 6392599)
Kenseth does have results behind him, but still can't get sponsors.

Correct but I also don't think is was totally "Matt" which still leads me to believe that something was going on that we will never know, wether it involved Stenhouse, moving Matt around or what. Whatever it is/was the end result is Matt is going and that is sad, but I have followed this sport for many, many years and this isn't the 1st time I have had to find another driver :bad:. Irvan, Jarret and now Kenseth.

Zastava_101 8/29/12 11:23 AM

JGR to announce Kenseth as driver next week? Joe Gibbs Racing plans to announce next Tuesday [Sept. 4th] that Matt Kenseth will be its newest driver beginning in 2013. The 2003 Sprint Cup champion will take over the #20 team driven by Joey Logano with Home Depot as his primary sponsor. JGR president J.D. Gibbs said on Saturday at Bristol Motor Speedway he still held out hope of re-signing Logano and adding a fourth team if sponsorship can be found. Logano is not expected to be a part of Tuesday's press conference. Logano also is a candidate for the #22 Cup team at Penske Racing. He recently said he was not interesting in a part-time Cup ride and full-time Nationwide Series ride that was one of his options at JGR. "He was OK with that until another opportunity came up," Gibbs said of Logano.(ESPN)(8-29-2012)

Zastava_101 9/4/12 01:18 PM

It's Official - Matt Kenseth signs with Joe Gibbs Racing: Joe Gibbs Racing announced that 2003 NASCAR Cup Series Champion and two-time Daytona 500 winner, Matt Kenseth, has signed with the team to drive the #20 Toyota Camry with sponsorship from Dollar General and The Home Depot starting in 2013. "We are thrilled to be able to officially announce Matt will join Joe Gibbs Racing starting at the conclusion of this season," said Joe Gibbs, owner of Joe Gibbs Racing. "Everyone knows what he has accomplished in our sport as a champion and a consistent winner. He is well respected in the garage and his experience and knowledge will be extremely beneficial to our entire organization, especially Denny and Kyle." Kenseth is currently third in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings with a win, nine top-five and 14 top-ten finishes thus far this season. Over the course of his career he has won a total of 22 Cup races while earning 122 top-five and 223 top-ten finishes.
"I'm excited to announce what the next chapter in my career will be," said Kenseth. "I remain totally committed to this season and working with my current team toward a championship and having this settled will only help my focus. JGR is an impressive organization with tremendous leadership and strong support from sponsors like Dollar General and The Home Depot. I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity to move from one great situation into another starting in 2013."(JGR), Gibbs also said during the press conference that Jason Ratcliff would remain as the crew chief for the #20 team.(9-4-2012)

Evil_Capri 9/4/12 01:31 PM

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...72576544_n.jpg

Zastava_101 9/4/12 03:07 PM

I find it very surprising that Gibbs was willing to let Logano go for a 40-year-old driver. After all, Gibbs did invest a lot in Logano and just letting him go after only 3 seasons in the Cup.

Evil_Capri 9/4/12 03:25 PM

In my opinion, I think Matt was brought in for two reasons.

1. Home Depot wanted a "better" spokesperson. I would think there are more 40 year old home improvement fans as oppsed to someone Joey's age.

2. Matt will be an anchor/leader for the benefit of Kyle over the next few years.

Zastava_101 9/4/12 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri (Post 6433457)
1. Home Depot wanted a "better" spokesperson. I would think there are more 40 year old home improvement fans as oppsed to someone Joey's age.

I dunno, Matt is like the most underrated driver in the NASCAR, I'm pretty sure he lost both DeWalt and Crown Royal because of that.

Sponsors wants drivers who are in the center of attention, no matter what. Guys like Carl Edwards, who's always in the center of attention even when he's having a horrible year like this one. Not Matt Kenseth.

Evil_Capri 9/4/12 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zastava_101

I dunno, Matt is like the most underrated driver in the NASCAR, I'm pretty sure he lost both DeWalt and Crown Royal because of that.

Sponsors wants drivers who are in the center of attention, no matter what. Guys like Carl Edwards, who's always in the center of attention even when he's having a horrible year like this one. Not Matt Kenseth.

If Home Depot didn't want Matt, he wouldn't be driving for them next season.

Zastava_101 9/4/12 03:50 PM

We'll see how long that lasts. I find it hard to believe that sponsor such as Home Depot, who spends so much money in NASCAR, wants a driver to represent them that's not in a center of attention even when he wins.

m4a1mustang 9/4/12 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang (Post 6386495)
So according to a friend of mine within JGR Matt has a deal to drive the Home Depot car next year. Whether or not it is the #20 they haven't sorted that out. But JGR will be running 4 cars and Joey Logano will either keep the #20 or take a new number. They think Dollar General will be moving from NW to sponsor Joey's Cup car, #20 or otherwise.

:D

Well they couldn't put a deal together for Joey. Gibbs wanted him to run full time NW and part time Cup, but he didn't want to give up a full time Cup ride.

Oh well. I'll talk to him some this weekend. :)

Zastava_101 9/14/12 01:47 PM

Sponsors returning to #17 team in 2013: Roush Fenway Racing confirmed that 2011 Nationwide Series champion Ricky Stenhouse Jr., will pilot its historic #17 Ford Fusion next season in the Sprint Cup Series. One of the emerging talents in NASCAR, Stenhouse steps into a championship-caliber program in the # 17, with current team partners Best Buy, Fifth Third Bank and Zest each returning to the team as primary sponsors in 2013. "I can't think of a better fit for Ricky than the #17 team," added Jack Roush. "Ricky will have the luxury of being flanked by a championship-level team from the start. His drive, determination and commitment to winning will mesh very well with the demeanor of the #17 team. It will be our job to put him in the best equipment possible, as well as to guide him through the learning curves that are part of his rookie season. Best Buy, Fifth Third Bank and Zest each joined Roush Fenway's #17 team as primary partners in 2012. These three partners will return to the #17 again next year, with each increasing their commitment in 2013 for Stenhouse's entry into Sprint Cup competition. With their involvement, the majority of Stenhouse's races for 2013 are fully sponsored.(Roush Fenway)(9-14-2012)

jacostang 9/14/12 02:25 PM

Nice!!! Lets hope he can do better than Regan!

Zastava_101 9/14/12 03:53 PM

It would be hard to do worse than Ragan.

m4a1mustang 9/14/12 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Zastava_101 (Post 6440598)
It would be hard to do worse than Ragan.

:lol::lol::lol:

Zastava_101 9/14/12 09:17 PM

In Ragan's defense, he was put in the Cup car waaaaay too early, without having any experience in the Nationwide (Joey Logano has the same problem).

Ricky Stenhouse won the championship in the Nationwide and has won 6 races over the past 2 seasons. He showed that he can run equally with the Cup's drivers, he's ready for the move.

He might be the best rookie since 2006 when Denny Hamlin won.

Zastava_101 9/16/12 12:27 PM

Ricky won again last night, his 5th win this season, and he took the points lead. :)

This kid is gonna be great in the Cup.

jacostang 9/16/12 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Zastava_101 (Post 6441729)
Ricky won again last night, his 5th win this season, and he took the points lead. :)

This kid is gonna be great in the Cup.

Man I really Hope so!!!!!

m4a1mustang 9/16/12 04:33 PM

I think he will be good once he adapts.

I have a hard time liking him after what he did to win the ARCA title, though. Blatantly dumped Scott Speed at the last race of the season. Oh well.

Zastava_101 9/18/12 07:03 AM

Stenhouse, Jr to attempt Dover race: [Chicago] capped a huge weekend for Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. Roush announced Friday that Stenhouse was going to drive the #17 Sprint Cup car for Roush-Fenway Racing on a full-time basis in 2013, and that Best Buy was going to be a primary sponsor. Stenhouse will, though, run a Cup race at Dover Sept. 30. "If we felt like running a Cup race would distract us, we wouldn't do it," Stenhouse said. "I just like track time. It doesn't matter in what type of car it is."(Chicago Sun-Times)(9-17-2012)