The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Motorsports (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f772/)
-   -   •Kenseth leaving Roush at end of season; replaced by Stenhouse, Jr. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f772/kenseth-leaving-roush-end-season-replaced-stenhouse-jr-510604/)

Zastava_101 6/26/12 09:45 AM

•Kenseth leaving Roush at end of season; replaced by Stenhouse, Jr.

Roush Fenway Racing announced that 2011 NASCAR Nationwide Series champion Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will compete for the team full-time in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series competition beginning in 2013, while Matt Kenseth and Roush Fenway will part ways at the conclusion of the 2012 season. "Ricky Stenhouse Jr. has more than proved his abilities on the race track," said team co-owner Jack Roush. "We feel that he is not only a key piece of our team's future, but a key piece of the future of the sport. Roush Fenway is an organization with a wonderful past and present, as well as an extremely promising future, and I can't think of a better candidate than Ricky to usher in the next era of success for the team. Of course, I'd like to thank Matt Kenseth for his many years of loyal service," added Roush. "Matt has been an integral part of this organization for well over a decade, and we are extremely appreciative of his accomplishments and contributions to the team, and will always consider him a part of the Roush Fenway family."(Roush Fenway Racing)(6-26-2012)

Evil_Capri 6/26/12 10:30 AM

Sad to hear. Really like and respect Kenseth with FMC and Roush.

Zastava_101 6/26/12 11:00 AM

I hope he'll sign with Penske, at least he would be driving a Ford.

skunk21 6/26/12 01:48 PM

Really. WTF :dunno:. They are letting go a champion. A stealthy racer who even with a crappy car can manage to come home with a decent finish. Figures after Jarrett left ford and I switched to Matt he would be going. nothing really against Biffle or Edwards but come on. I pissed.

m4a1mustang 6/26/12 01:52 PM

Have you ever thought that maybe Matt didn't want to stay with Roush?

Zastava_101 6/26/12 02:20 PM

Why wouldn't he? He's been with the team since 2000.

I'm sure he's not happy about sponsor problems, but I don't think that's the main reason. I mean, Jack Roush still has to find a sponsor for that #17 team since Stenhouse will be driving it next year.

m4a1mustang 6/26/12 02:22 PM

Not all relationships last forever.

Zastava_101 6/26/12 05:04 PM

Nice read

http://www.nascar.com/news/120626/dc...way/index.html

Rodimus_prime 6/26/12 10:05 PM

and Stenhouse has sponsorship? If he does he shouldn't. He's nothing but another David Regan, he will be around for a year or two then they will sign someone else that can win.

Zastava_101 6/27/12 06:32 AM

I think Stenhouse needs to drive in the Cup for a year or two before being named "the next David Ragan". He only drove 2 races in the Cup so far.

Evil_Capri 6/27/12 08:03 AM

Sources Say Kenseth Made Decision To Leave RFR
http://motorsports-soapbox.blogspot....cision-to.html

Zastava_101 6/27/12 08:44 AM

Sources say Kenseth met with Jack Roush early this week and informed him that he will move to JGR in 2013, driving the No. 20 Home Depot Toyota currently piloted by Joey Logano.

Say it ain't so Matt ...

m4a1mustang 6/28/12 09:58 AM

So according to a friend of mine within JGR Matt has a deal to drive the Home Depot car next year. Whether or not it is the #20 they haven't sorted that out. But JGR will be running 4 cars and Joey Logano will either keep the #20 or take a new number. They think Dollar General will be moving from NW to sponsor Joey's Cup car, #20 or otherwise.

Moosetang 6/28/12 10:18 AM

Seeing Matt in Stewart's old car is going to be all kinds of messed up.

Sabre 6/28/12 11:47 AM

If Matt isn't driving a Ford, then I can't pull for him to win.

I'll still like and respect him as a person....just like I do Mark Martin....but I only pull for Ford drivers to win..........yeah, I'm brand loyal.

m4a1mustang 6/28/12 12:07 PM

It's a good move for Matt. He was getting stale at Roush. I'm sure he gets a better deal at JGR and can basically start over again. He's got a few years left in him for sure.

Good for Roush, too. Save some money and move Stenhouse up to see if he can cut it.

Zastava_101 6/28/12 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sabre (Post 6386572)

I'll still like and respect him as a person....just like I do Mark Martin....but I only pull for Ford drivers to win..........yeah, I'm brand loyal.

+1 .

Zastava_101 6/28/12 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang (Post 6386585)
I'm sure he gets a better deal at JGR and can basically start over again.

At the age of 40 ... why would he want that?

I think this is a bad move for him, he's basically gonna be #3 driver at Gibbs, behind both Hamlin and Busch.

I mean, I could understand if #17 team wasn't competitive anymore, but he's leading the points, won the Daytona 500, almost won Talladega (its his own fault that he didn't) and still wants to leave the team? :screwy:

skunk21 6/28/12 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sabre (Post 6386572)

Happened with me and Jarret, sorry loved the guy followed him from his start at yates. Met him in person at pocono a few times but I just couldn't root for him in a Toyota, no way no how. I moved on to Matt, pretty much the same racing style.

I watched Matt's interview on speed, I'll wait for the official word on where he is going vs the rumors, but I said to my wife before reading any of this. I said I bet it will be either with Joe Gibbs or Penske since he may switch to Fords. I'm hoping it is the latter.

2k7gtcs 6/28/12 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Synyster_Vengeance

At the age of 40 ... why would he want that?

I think this is a bad move for him, he's basically gonna be #3 driver at Gibbs, behind both Hamlin and Busch.

I mean, I could understand if #17 team wasn't competitive anymore, but he's leading the points, won the Daytona 500, almost won Talladega (its his own fault that he didn't) and still wants to leave the team? :screwy:

:agree: