The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Motorsports (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f772/)
-   -   Carl Edwards leaving Roush and Ford? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f772/carl-edwards-leaving-roush-ford-496583/)

Zastava_101 6/17/11 04:15 PM

Carl Edwards leaving Roush and Ford?

From Jayski:
Gibbs courting Edwards? am hearing that Carl Edwards, currently the driver of the #99 Roush Fenway Racing Ford, is being courted by Joe Gibbs Racing to take over the #20 Home Depot Toyota ride. Where would that leave current #20 driver, Joey Logano, to the long rumored 4th Joe Gibbs car, no word on who would be the sponsor, if it happens.(6-17-2011)

wildstanglx90 6/17/11 06:40 PM

Interesting. I'm a Logano fan since his rookie cup year, so i'm curious to see how this pans out.

01roushstg1 6/17/11 08:00 PM

That will be the BIGGEST MISTAKE of HIS Career.

2k7gtcs 6/17/11 08:02 PM

Don't do it Mark! Oops. I mean Carl.

socalwrench 6/17/11 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by 01roushstg1 (Post 6092395)

Agreed.

m4a1mustang 6/17/11 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by 01roushstg1 (Post 6092395)

I don't think so. He knows more about whats going on with Roush than what we do, and if he feels like he has a better shot at winning championships at Gibbs then he's got to do what he's got to do.

socalwrench 6/17/11 08:21 PM

I just want to keep him in a Ford.

3Mach1 6/17/11 11:18 PM

Jacks problem is that he is a tightwad compared to other owners. He worked Mark Martin like a dog and you see where he is at. Jack had first dibs on Lagano but blew him off. Jack also lost Chase Elliott (Bill Elliotts son) to Rick Hendrick in a driver development program that Rick sponsors and this kid is tearing it up.

Im a Ford fan but not a Jack fan. Ford needs other presence other than him in nascar. As for Carl, he would do just fine with Gibbs imo.

Zastava_101 6/18/11 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by chevys (Post 6092481)
Jacks problem is that he is a tightwad compared to other owners. He worked Mark Martin like a dog and you see where he is at. Jack had first dibs on Lagano but blew him off. Jack also lost Chase Elliott (Bill Elliotts son) to Rick Hendrick in a driver development program that Rick sponsors and this kid is tearing it up.

Im a Ford fan but not a Jack fan. Ford needs other presence other than him in nascar. As for Carl, he would do just fine with Gibbs imo.

Jack also lost Jeff Gordon to Hendrick. Jack and Jeff's stepfather had a issue over a crew chief, Jeff's stepfather wanted Ray Evernham (which he got at Hendrick) and Jack wanted his own crew chief.

Not to mention the big mess he had with Kurt Busch.

I dunno, Carl always seemed like a Ford guy ... I know it's a part of a job, but he talked more about Ford than any other driver talked about the manufacturer they're driving for. It would really suck if he starts driving a Toyota now.

Zastava_101 6/18/11 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang (Post 6092406)
I don't think so. He knows more about whats going on with Roush than what we do, and if he feels like he has a better shot at winning championships at Gibbs then he's got to do what he's got to do.

Gibbs has a better Nationwide team, but I don't think he's ahead at Sprint series. Edwards' currently 1st at standings with more Top 5s and Top 10s than anyone else and this week's race is at Michigan, which is a track where Fords usually perform really well.
So I don't think its championship chances that play a major role in Carl's decision, since Carl is already driving for one of top teams in the NASCAR and his championship chances are not any lower at #99 team that they would've been with a #20 team.

3Mach1 6/18/11 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Red Star (Post 6092489)
Jack also lost Jeff Gordon to Hendrick. Jack and Jeff's stepfather had a issue over a crew chief, Jeff's stepfather wanted Ray Evernham (which he got at Hendrick) and Jack wanted his own crew chief.

Not to mention the big mess he had with Kurt Busch.

I dunno, Carl always seemed like a Ford guy ... I know it's a part of a job, but he talked more about Ford than any other driver talked about the manufacturer they're driving for. It would really suck if he starts driving a Toyota now.

I forgot about Gordon. Kurt is not the kind of guy I would want working for me no matter how good he is so I give Jack a pass on that one. I doubt Carl would leave anyway at least right now.

m4a1mustang 6/18/11 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Red Star (Post 6092490)
Gibbs has a better Nationwide team, but I don't think he's ahead at Sprint series. Edwards' currently 1st at standings with more Top 5s and Top 10s than anyone else and this week's race is at Michigan, which is a track where Fords usually perform really well.
So I don't think its championship chances that play a major role in Carl's decision, since Carl is already driving for one of top teams in the NASCAR and his championship chances are not any lower at #99 team that they would've been with a #20 team.

I think the Gibbs organization is championship caliber but I just think its current drivers haven't had any luck this season. Denny almost won it last year but he had some bad luck and simply wasn't quite ready as a driver.

Plus, throughout racing history there have always been drivers that have left a seemingly #1 organization to go to a lesser one, which they succeeded at. Most notable would be Michael Schumacher leaving Benneton after two championships to go to ferrari which was in the dumps at the time... And that ended up getting him 5 more titles.

I also agree that Jack is a tightwad. Carl is probably worth 10-15 million or more a year and i doubt he gets close to that. I don't think any of us would stick around at our current jobs if we had the opportunity to make more money elsewhere.

Re the Ford speak, i think that is Carl just doing his best to tote the company line... He has always been great on the sponsorship side... VERY sponsor friendly driver.

jacostang 6/18/11 12:13 PM

I'm not even going to read this thread.......

Zastava_101 6/18/11 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by chevys (Post 6092502)
Kurt is not the kind of guy I would want working for me no matter how good he is so I give Jack a pass on that one. I doubt Carl would leave anyway at least right now.

I'm not a Kurt Busch fan, but he was a 2004 champion driving #97 Ford for Roush Racing. I would rather see him as a champion driving a Ford than watching Jimmie Johnson winning the championship again.

Zastava_101 6/18/11 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang (Post 6092560)
I also agree that Jack is a tightwad. Carl is probably worth 10-15 million or more a year and i doubt he gets close to that. I don't think any of us would stick around at our current jobs if we had the opportunity to make more money elsewhere.

Re the Ford speak, i think that is Carl just doing his best to tote the company line... He has always been great on the sponsorship side... VERY sponsor friendly driver.

Considering the fact that Hendrick (and sponsors) are paying close to $45 mill per year for Earnhardt, I think Edwards is worth much more than that. If Edwards leaves Roush he will take Aflac and Subway with him for sure ... and UPS is also looking to leave.

3Mach1 6/18/11 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Red Star (Post 6092710)
Considering the fact that Hendrick (and sponsors) are paying close to $45 mill per year for Earnhardt, I think Edwards is worth much more than that. If Edwards leaves Roush he will take Aflac and Subway with him for sure ... and UPS is also looking to leave.

Im not a fan of Hendrick but he is not afraid to spend the money. Biggest mistakes he has made is letting Kyle Busch(like him or not) go and hiring Junebug who has not performed with the best equipment available. He is doing a lot better this year and of course sells a lot of t shirts. :jester: If Jack is smart he will get out his check book to keep Carl. The guy can drive and I hate to keep seeing good drivers leave Ford. Why Jack hired and has kept David Reagan around I will never know.

jacostang 6/18/11 06:32 PM

I dont believe Carl will Leave, at least I hope not but there are some really good Ford drivers coming up.... Bayne and Stenhouse are rising up and the best thing would be the 21 team step up full time with Bayne and RPM add a 3rd car for Stenhouse...

Zastava_101 6/18/11 11:55 PM

UPDATE: Ford and Roush Fenway Racing are feeling a sense of urgency to re-sign Carl Edwards. For the last month, Edwards has been rumored to be headed to Joe Gibbs Racing. Earlier this season, JGR president J.D. Gibbs acknowledged that the organization would be interested in talking to Edwards if sponsorship could be acquired for a fourth team. Roush Fenway Racing president Steve Newman called the Edwards' negotiation "a slow and steady process." Both Roush and Ford have worked diligently to entice Edwards to remain in the blue-oval camp but are starting to feel the pressure from Toyota. "We have constant conversations with Carl," Newmark said. "I still remain cautiously optimistic that we'll get something done, but as we've talked about before, the process that we're going through, we want to make sure that we have everything in order going forward and Carl's main focus is on making sure he's going to a place where he can win championships. Newmark understands that Edwards is shopping the market and "has no issue with him engaging in discussions." Now the challenge for Roush comes in offering the most competitive package for Edwards and his future. At the same time, Newmark has the challenge of locking up Roush sponsors Aflac, UPS and Crown Royal. Newmark locked down both 3M and Greg Biffle for a multi-year deal in April. Newmark is not actively seeking a replacement for Edwards -- yet. With Trevor Bayne and Ricky Stenhouse in the pipeline, there's really no need to.(Fox Sports)(6-19-2011)

Zastava_101 6/19/11 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by chevys (Post 6092781)
Im not a fan of Hendrick but he is not afraid to spend the money. Biggest mistakes he has made is letting Kyle Busch(like him or not) go and hiring Junebug who has not performed with the best equipment available. He is doing a lot better this year and of course sells a lot of t shirts. :jester:

Well, that depends. From racing point of view, yeah, Junior is really overrated, but he brings more money to Hendrick than any other driver could, including Kyle Busch. Same thing with Danica Patrick and JR Motorsports (which is owned by Junior) in Nationwide series. Two most overrated drivers in NASCAR history driving for the same team. :jester:

Originally Posted by chevys (Post 6092781)
Why Jack hired and has kept David Reagan around I will never know.

Jack is known to bring young guys to the team who stay for a long time. Guys like Martin, Burton, Kenseth, Edwards, Ku. Busch, Biffle and now Ragan. I still think Jack should've kept McMurray and get rid of Ragan last year.

Zastava_101 6/19/11 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by jacostang (Post 6092800)
Bayne and Stenhouse are rising up and the best thing would be the 21 team step up full time with Bayne and RPM add a 3rd car for Stenhouse...

I don't think either one of them is ready for full time yet. They should drive few Nationwide seasons before going full time at Sprint series.

3Mach1 6/19/11 03:14 AM

Redstarr you have a point about those t shirt sales. :jester: You heard it hear first. Danica will never amount to anything if she goes cup racing. If she thinks the Busch series is tough then just wait. Im not being sexist either. She does not have what it takes imo. But they will sell those t shirts.

An established team like Roush needs some veteran drivers that can get it done. Im all for fresh talent but an outfit that size needs some heavy hitters like Carl. I really have no use for Jack Roush and Ford needs to re think what they are doing. He has the Ford monopoly and thats not a good thing. I sure miss the days of Yates racing.

All of nascar is controled by just a handful of people anymore anyway and that sucks. I really wish teams were limited to two cars. The little guy has no chance what so ever anymore.

m4a1mustang 6/19/11 07:21 AM

I agree about Jr. He's a huge asset to HMS because of the money he brings in to the team.

The only difference between him and Danica, I think, is that Danica probably has some potential in a cup car given good equipment. Her issue in Indy Cars has always been the fact that those races are almost always outright speed contests, and unless you're in a Ganassi or Penske car it is very difficult to have any success.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see her do well in stock cars once she commits full time to them.

But back on topic, I don't see Jack Roush meeting Carl at the figure he wants. I think I would be more surprised to see him re-sign with Roush than jump ship to another team.

m4a1mustang 6/19/11 07:23 AM

And back OT for a moment, the guy I REALLY want to see in Nascar at some point is Lewis Hamilton. I think once he gets tired of F1 I wouldn't doubt at all that he might look to come to NASCAR, especially considering his personal frienship with Tony Stewart and the fun he had in the ride swap last week. I think Lewis could easily be a top Cup driver and would definitely be a joy to watch.

Zastava_101 6/19/11 08:37 AM

I'm usually against open wheel drivers in the NASCAR, since most of them (with few exceptions, such as Tony Stewart) showed apsolutely nothing in the NASCAR in the past.

Moosetang 6/20/11 02:18 AM

Well there's a number of factors in that, with the exception of Stewart not many open-wheel drivers walked onto top-flight teams at the top of their game. There's also a HUGE component of acceptance, or lack thereof, and NASCAR has never quite shook the sort of good-old-boys "there's them and there's us" attitude. Open-wheel drivers used to give Stock Car drivers a run for their money in the very NASCAR-like IROC series, after all.

m4a1mustang 6/20/11 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetang (Post 6093272)
Well there's a number of factors in that, with the exception of Stewart not many open-wheel drivers walked onto top-flight teams at the top of their game. There's also a HUGE component of acceptance, or lack thereof, and NASCAR has never quite shook the sort of good-old-boys "there's them and there's us" attitude. Open-wheel drivers used to give Stock Car drivers a run for their money in the very NASCAR-like IROC series, after all.

:iagree:

I'd say Montoya is the closest right now, but he's held back by the Ganassi team (not a consistent race winning organization) and a bit also by his driving style. Doesn't help that Ryan Newman likes to wreck him whenever he gets the chance. :doh:

I think Lewis definitely would be a success if he came in with a top team. He's just one of those drivers, like Stewart, that could drive anything and win.

Anyways... back to Carl. Watching Wind Tunnel on Speed last night it seems like Carl is just sitting back waiting for the teams to present offers to him. Gibbs and Red Bull want him and both teams have the money. Seems like if Carl were to go to Gibbs, UPS likely would go with him. It's more likely that he'd go to Gibbs but RB can give him any $ amount he wants. Either way, it's looking like he won't be staying with Roush.

Also -- where will Danica end up next year? My guess is full time in a JR Motorsports Nationwide car with some Cup races sprinkled throughout the season with the expectation that she's full time in Cup in 2013. Maybe with Stewart-Haas in a 3rd car.

All I know is NASCAR will do whatever it takes to get her over here. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$

m4a1mustang 6/20/11 12:15 PM

Scratch the Red Bull idea. Looks like they might be out of Cup after this year.

Zastava_101 6/21/11 10:43 AM

I don't think Ganassi is bad or even an average team. After all, Jamie McMurray did win a Daytona 500 and Indianapolis last year driving a Ganassi's Chevy.
I'm pretty sure it's Montoya's agressive driving (and because of it - crashing) the reason why he's not a Chase driver.

RE: Edwards, I just don't see him and Kyle Busch on the same team.

m4a1mustang 6/21/11 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Red Star (Post 6094017)
I don't think Ganassi is bad or even an average team. After all, Jamie McMurray did win a Daytona 500 and Indianapolis last year driving a Ganassi's Chevy.
I'm pretty sure it's Montoya's agressive driving (and because of it - crashing) the reason why he's not a Chase driver.

RE: Edwards, I just don't see him and Kyle Busch on the same team.

I think it's a combination. Jamie Mac was never consistently a front-runner. Ganassi is definitely a Tier 2 organization in NASCAR. Every now and then they will put some runs together that prove otherwise but on average, they aren't up there all the time like the HMS and Roush cars.

Re: Kyle and Carl... I definitely think it's possible. I don't think Kyle and Carl are the types to hold any sort of grudge against one another. They are both definitely above the level of the average RCR driver, IMO. I see no reason why they couldn't be successful teammates. You know they'd push each other very hard which would be a good thing for the team as a whole.

Zastava_101 6/21/11 11:25 AM

Roush may still be Tier 1 team, but they're decreasing fast. Few years from now they might go down like Yates did. Last year they won only 4 races, including last 2 (the year before that they won only 3 races) and they haven't had a champsionship contender since Carl Edwards in 2008. Heck, Denny Hamlin alone won 8 races and entire Joe Gibbs Racing won 11 in 2010. Even new teams, like Stewart Haas Motorsports won 3 races last year.

So I wouldn't be putting Roush name in the same sentence with Hendrick and Gibbs and even Childress ...

m4a1mustang 6/21/11 11:50 AM

I still think they are one of the top teams, they just had a bad go at it the last couple years.

So far this year you've got Carl leading the points with one win, and Kenseth already has two wins this year and has been running well. Biffle will probably get some wins this year with the way he's been running.

Ragan... I don't know about that kid.

But you're right, Roush could be deteriorating especially if they lose key sponsorship. Carl might want out because he sees the writing on the wall...

Zastava_101 6/21/11 12:10 PM

I'm sure Roush would've had much more success with other manufacturers since Ford really sucked in the past few years (before new engine came out). Even Dodge was beating Ford in the past few years. I'm glad Jack stayed with Ford.

m4a1mustang 6/21/11 12:31 PM

Yeah, Ford did blow for a while. GM sunk a ton of money into it's racing programs whereas Ford didn't. Though it worked out in the end because GM bankrupted itself. :D

Zastava_101 6/21/11 12:37 PM

Ford did invest a lot into WRC with no results. Sebastien Loeb & Citroen were much better and still are. Only 1 win this year in 7 races so far (Citroen won remaining 6).

Anyway, I would like to see Petty winning races too. Ambrose has a big chance this week at Infineon.

m4a1mustang 6/21/11 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Red Star (Post 6094100)
Ford did invest a lot into WRC with no results. Sebastien Loeb & Citroen were much better and still are. Only 1 win this year in 7 races so far (Citroen won remaining 6).

Anyway, I would like to see Petty winning races too. Ambrose has a big chance this week at Infineon.

I think a lot of that is Loeb himself... he is an amazing talent.

I agree with you on Petty. I am a big fan of AJ and Ambrose... I think they both are close.

Zastava_101 6/28/11 05:22 AM

UPDATE 2: #99-Carl Edwards on Friday again declined comment on his contract status, as he has throughout the year. Edwards is in the final year of his contract with Roush Fenway Racing, and the team is also negotiating contract extensions with all of its primary sponsors except 3M, which has signed a multi-year deal to remain with the team and Greg Biffle. "As far as my contract status, it is the same as the beginning of the year," Edwards said Friday morning at Infineon Raceway. "We are working hard on it and we do all that stuff behind closed doors. We are making progress and hopefully we will be able to tell you guys what my plan is soon." Asked about the oft-repeated rumors that he would go to Joe Gibbs Racing next year to replace Joey Logano, Edwards added, "I have heard rumors about all different teams for the last two years. The thing I am going to do is keep working on it and working on it privately. I think that is the best way for me."(SPEED)(6-25-2011)

Zastava_101 7/29/11 06:54 PM

Another UPDATE: #99-Carl Edwards is staying focused on winning a championship despite widespread speculation that he is leaving Roush Fenway Racing for Joe Gibbs Racing after this season. Edwards would not comment Friday on whether he has made a decision, but he was adamant that it will not hurt his chances of winning the title regardless. "I feel like no matter what happens we have a great thing going," said Edwards, who has a seven-point lead over five-time defending champion Jimmie Johnson heading into Sunday's Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "Jack Roush and Ford and Aflac, that is our mission right now -- to win the championship. That is all of our goals. Whatever happens, happens. But I believe that is reasonable to believe that could happen no matter what." Speculation that Edwards was headed for JGR to drive the #20 Home Depot car currently driven by Joey Logano, with Aflac following him to JGR, intensified two weeks ago at New Hampshire. Logano and crew chief Greg Zipadelli told ESPN.com that they have been given no indication that their status for next season will change. Logano said the rumors haven't been a distraction for him and his team. "If anything it is making my team work harder," Logano said. "It's making us come together more as a team. It's good. The last few weeks it's paid off. The last four weeks we have scored more points than anybody. All I've heard is rumors. No one has told me anything." Edwards would not give a timetable for making an announcement, although sources say it has to be soon so plans for next season can get under way. When asked if he had made a decision, Edwards said, "I'd just rather not say. We're working hard on the contract stuff. I've heard a lot of different ideas out there. The story remains the same -- I'm going to make a decision that is the best one I can make. I'm going to do that outside the media. Right now I have a signed contract, and that is the contract I signed in 2008 to race for Jack in '09, '10 and '11. So that is my mission. That's what I'm going to honor."(ESPN). .(7-29-2011)

jacostang 7/29/11 08:59 PM

He is getting alot of flak on his facebook page about staying put and loyal, no championships can be won or repeated without keeping a team together, look at JJ and Jeff Gordon...

Zastava_101 7/31/11 09:53 AM

Ford steps in: Ford Racing has gone to what officials call unprecedented measures to help Roush Fenway Racing keep #99-Carl Edwards from going to the Toyota team of Joe Gibbs Racing. "We've helped out with an offer we have never done before for another driver,'' said Kevin Kennedy, the director of Ford Racing communication, before Saturday's qualifying for the Brickyard 400. "It was important enough for us that we were trying to make it unprecedented.'' Kennedy would not give specifics into what Ford has offered other than to say top executives in the organization have been closely involved with RFR in negotiations. "If he's around, it's something that will help him in terms of continuing to promote Ford products,'' Kennedy said of Edwards, who has become the face of Ford Racing. "We've been in racing for 110 years and I don't think we've ever done this before.'' Steve Newmark, the president of RFR, acknowledged that Ford has gone above and beyond to help keep Edwards in the fold. Newmark added that the total package offered to this year's top free agent shows just how important officials believe he is to the future of the organization and manufacturer. "I hope everybody understands Roush Fenway is very intent on signing Carl,'' Newmark said. "We understand he is trying to make a decision that is best for his future.'' Edwards declined on Friday to say whether he has made a decision amidst speculation he is headed for JGR to drive the #20 currently occupied by Joey Logano with Home Depot and Aflac as his sponsors. Newmark and Kennedy said Edwards has told them no decision has been made. Newmark added that no ultimatum or deadline for a decision will be made even though RFR wants it done sooner rather than later to prepare for next year. Sources said Edwards could earn more than $40 million over three years. Newmark said money hasn't been a major factor in RFR's negotiations. Should Edwards leave, Newmark said the replacement likely would come from in house with developmental drivers Trevor Bayne or Ricky Stenhouse Jr. He said no driver outside the organization has been contacted.(ESPN)(7-30-2011)

Hytek 7/31/11 11:09 AM

That sounds promising. I'm a huge Carl fan and my fiancee is a big Joey Logano fan. If he takes over Joey's car she's not going to be happy and I won't hear the end of it.

11SHELBYGT500 7/31/11 11:19 AM

What's a Carl Edwards?

jacostang 7/31/11 05:17 PM

Well thats good news that Ford is stepping up, I hope thats enough, wondering if not money then what exactly could be the X Factor???

Zastava_101 8/1/11 02:05 AM

DONE DEAL? Edwards says the only contract he's signed was his last one with Jack Roush three years ago. Whether there's a current contract or not, the latest scuttlebutt has Edwards driving the #20 Home Depot Toyota for Joe Gibbs Racing in 2012 for a staggering amount of money -- $8 million as a base, plus a $10 million signing bonus.(FoxSports)(7-31-2011)

Evil_Capri 8/1/11 04:35 AM

I think he is as good as gone and I'm not bothered by it. It would be different if he'd already won a Championship. Although I'm not sure who would 'step up' and be the prominent driver FMC wants and needs. Carl is clearly one of the best marketable drivers in the field.

Zastava_101 8/1/11 04:57 AM

I just hope this is Carl's way of saying "I wanna stay with Roush, but I wanna more money" ...

~SMOKE~ 8/1/11 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri (Post 6114498)
I think he is as good as gone and I'm not bothered by it. It would be different if he'd already won a Championship. Although I'm not sure who would 'step up' and be the prominent driver FMC wants and needs. Carl is clearly one of the best marketable drivers in the field.

Agreed .. he's very marketable and someone FORD should hold on to, just to maintain a marquee name for the brand.
Would suck to see him go! :bad:

jacostang 8/2/11 02:03 PM

Interview with Jack Roush..

http://www.nascar.com/video/speed/ra...ush/index.html

Moosetang 8/3/11 10:42 PM

Sad to say, I think if he were staying he would have said so by now. This reeks of "I'm leaving and I don't want the team to quit on me because I said I'm leaving." :(

2k7gtcs 8/3/11 10:44 PM

I never liked the guy. Not as talented as some others and a bit of a butt hurt crybaby at times.

Zastava_101 8/4/11 05:10 AM

So ... who should be Edwards' replacement at #99 team? Ricky Stenhouse Jr or Trevor Bayne?

Or maybe Clint Bowyer, he's a free agent after this season. Although he wants to stay with a #33 team at Richard Childress Racing, they don't have a sponsor for the next season.

Interesting read:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;...scar-inthepits

Evil_Capri 8/4/11 06:58 AM

Sources: Carl Edwards to stay at RFR

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...ng-sources-say

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carl Edwards has decided the best chance for him to win a Sprint Cup championship is to stay put.

The current series points leader has agreed to a new multiyear deal with Roush Fenway Racing, declining an offer to move to Joe Gibbs Racing in 2012, sources told ESPN.com.

An official announcement is expected later Thursday.

godspunk32 8/4/11 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri (Post 6116511)

You beat me to it!

@FordRacing just tweeted it, as well, saying that it's official!

Woot!

JR

Zastava_101 8/4/11 08:17 AM

Wow, great news!!!

jacostang 8/4/11 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Red Star (Post 6116565)
Wow, great news!!!

+1 Zoran and I'm sure many others!!!!

Moosetang 8/4/11 08:03 PM

Shocked, pleased.

Zastava_101 8/5/11 08:37 AM

Some details about Edwards new contract: Roush Fenway Racing owner Jack Roush offered details today on Ford Motor Company's contribution to the contract package agreed to Thursday by #99-Carl Edwards. "Ford stepped forward and offered Carl an incentive program," said Roush to Sirius XM NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody. "They also offered up a Ford stock program that will come to fruition after the third year of his contract is complete." Roush admitted that there is "still some work to do" on sponsorship for 2012; both for Edwards and other members of the Roush Fenway Racing stable. "The 3M package for Greg Biffle is done and discussions are ongoing for Matt Kenseth and David Ragan," he said. "We can see our way more than 50% through Carl's program, right now, but the day is past when you can rely on one sponsor to pay the full ticket for any driver. Sponsors like that are fewer and farther between than they were even a few years ago, but we will continue to work hard to put these various packages together."(Sirius Speedway)(8-5-2011)

Moosetang 8/5/11 04:14 PM

Excellent to see Ford step up to keep him, even though it's sorta sad that they had to. The memory of Khane remains fresh.

Zastava_101 8/6/11 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetang (Post 6117456)
The memory of Khane remains fresh.

The kid is overrated anyways.

Zastava_101 8/6/11 02:26 AM

In the end, Edwards' decision based on winning

http://www.nascar.com/news/110805/ma...ion/index.html

Zastava_101 8/7/11 04:02 AM

Roush took a gamble on Edwards and won

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;..._racing-080511

In trying to convince Carl Edwards to stay in his racing family, Jack Roush put all his cards on the table. In Roush’s words, he “showed everything” to Edwards, from where Roush Fenway Racing has been to where the company is going.
It was a risky move for Roush, for had Edwards packed his bags and signed with Joe Gibbs Racing, the competition would have been armed with all his secrets, leaving Roush exposed for who knows how long. But it was a gamble Roush had to take.

2k7gtcs 8/7/11 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Red Star (Post 6117733)
The kid is overrated anyways.

This! Along with a lot of others on the track every Sunday.

Zastava_101 9/1/11 03:45 PM

Fastenal Steps up to be primary sponsor for Edwards: Fastenal announced that it has signed a multiyear agreement with Roush Fenway Racing to become a primary sponsor of Carl Edwards' #99 Ford in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Fastenal will be the primary on Edwards' #99 for 17 Cup Series races in 2012, starting at Daytona International Speedway. The company will also sponsor two additional Roush Fenway entries in a yet to be determined 2012 Sprint Cup Series race, putting three Fastenal-branded Fords on the track during a single event. "I've appreciated the long relationship that I've had with Fastenal," said Edwards. "I'm proud that they believe so strongly in our team and program that they are making the commitment to sponsor us in the Sprint Cup Series. My partnership with Fastenal started in 1999 at my local dirt track. I would have never imagined that we would be going to the 2012 Daytona 500 together. They have always treated me with the same respect that they treat their customers and I am proud to represent them."
"It's hard to imagine a better driver, or a better spokesperson for our company, than Carl Edwards," said Cory Jansen, Fastenal's Executive Vice President, Operations. "He's become a true member of the Fastenal 'blue team,' and we can't wait to see him make a run for the championship in the #99 Fastenal Ford."
For Fastenal, the road to this marquee sponsorship began back in 2006 when the company began sponsoring a team in NASCAR's Truck Series. Fastenal moved to the Nationwide Series two years later. But through it all, a Fastenal-sponsored car had never won a NASCAR race until its partnership with Roush Fenway and Edwards began in 2010. Edwards and Fastenal have teamed up to go to NASCAR victory lane five times in the #60 Fastenal Ford Mustang, including four times this season. "Because of the phenomenal season Carl is having, we've probably had more brand exposure this year than we've had in the previous five years combined," added Jansen. "We're looking forward to taking another huge step forward next season by presenting our brand to the tens of millions of fans who follow the Cup Series."(Roush Fenway Racing)(9-1-2011)

jacostang 9/1/11 08:17 PM

Great News!!!

Zastava_101 9/4/11 02:00 AM

UPS to cut back NASCAR sponsorship UPDATE: UPS plans to cut back dramatically on its support of Roush Fenway Racing's #6 Ford driven by David Ragan in 2012, SportsBusiness Daily reported. Sources familiar with the company's plan said it will drop its full-season primary sponsorship of the #6 car and sponsor 4-8 races at RFR in '12. The company is in talks to shift its sponsorship to Carl Edwards, who drives the team's #99 Ford. RFR president Steve Newmark declined to comment and said the team is still in discussions with UPS. The company did not return a call seeking comment. The move will further reduce the number of sponsors paying for their logo to appear in all 36 NASCAR races. UPS was one of seven sponsors slated to be on the same NASCAR hood for all 36 Sprint Cup races. The other full-season primary sponsors are #11-FedEx [34 races, Sports Clips at Darlington, Charter Comm at Atlanta], #20-Home Depot, #48-Lowe's, #27-Menard's, #2-Miller Lite and #56-NAPA Auto Parts. (Red Bull and Furniture Row own the teams that feature their logos.) Though UPS won't renew its full-season primary sponsorship at RFR, sources said the company is expected to renew its official partnership with NASCAR. It has been the sport's official delivery company since 2000.(Sporting News/SportsBusiness Journal)(9-2-2011)
UPDATE: If UPS is in talks to become part of Carl Edwards' sponsorship program next year, the driver of the #99 Ford hasn't been part of the discussions yet. Edwards was aware of Friday's Sports Business Daily story that indicated UPS, which currently sponsors David Ragan in the #6 Roush Fenway Racing Ford, would reduce its commitment significantly next year and is talking with RFR brass about sponsoring Edwards for four to eight races. "I read it, too, and I don't know anything other than what it said," Edwards told Sporting News on Saturday at Atlanta Motor Speedway, when asked about the report. "I still don't know that it's anything more than a rumor. Nobody's come to me and said, 'Hey, here's what's happening; here's what's going on.' I wish I knew."(in ppart from the Sporting News)(9-3-2011)