The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 Shelby Mustangs (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f767/)
-   -   Oooooh That Smell, Can Ya Smell That Smell? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f767/oooooh-smell-can-ya-smell-smell-498112/)

Rather B.Blown 7/29/11 02:51 PM

Oooooh That Smell, Can Ya Smell That Smell?

My 2011 GT500 is giving me something to scratch my head about. After getting on it pretty good on the way home, then pulling into the garage, after a few minutes the garage smells like really hot plastic. Not acrid like burning plastic, just like plastic that is hot to the point of melting. It's done it since new, and at first I chalked it up to new car engine smells as they went through heating a cooling cycles. But now at 1500 miles, its still doing it, but only when I've gotten on it just before parking it.

Anyone else noticed theirs doing this? I've looked around and can't find anything under the hood or around the exhaust that looks like it could be causing it.

cdynaco 7/29/11 03:43 PM

muffler too close to the diaper? :dunno:

MyStang2010GB 7/29/11 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 6113268)

There is always some smart-*** that has to turn a thread into the topic about the rear of the new body style....

cdynaco 7/29/11 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB (Post 6113309)
There is always some smart-*** that has to turn a thread into the topic about the rear of the new body style....

I wasn't being a smart azz. Lee is my friend. It was a serious question as to the source of the smell of hot plastic. What's your idea?

MyStang2010GB 7/29/11 05:14 PM

My Boss has the same smell. Dealer says its undercoating burning off that got on exhaust. I don't buy it personally

dmhines 7/29/11 05:47 PM

Clutch ??

2k7gtcs 7/29/11 05:58 PM

Bryl-creem? Oh wait. NVM :p

Rather B.Blown 7/29/11 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 6113268)

Nope, nothing is anywhere near close enough to anything back there to cause it, especially since the exhaust back there doesn't get blistering hot anyway. Its hard to tell with a smell, but it seems stronger around the front of the car.

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB (Post 6113321)
My Boss has the same smell. Dealer says its undercoating burning off that got on exhaust. I don't buy it personally

I'll peek around and see if I see anything like that. Don't know what type of undercoating they use, but the undercoating I've used before didn't have this type of smell when hot. Could be something new though.

Originally Posted by dmhines (Post 6113335)
Clutch ??

Definitely not hot clutch or brake smells. I'm very familiar with those. :p

I'm not even talking about hammering on it, just a hard pull up through 2nd and barely into third coming up the mountain within 2-3 miles of the house, and then pulling in and shutting off.

I can really wind it up 10 miles from home, and then just cruise the rest of the way and the smell is absent when I pull in. Its like what ever it is only happens when you're on it, then goes away quickly. Like I said, the best way to describe it is melting abs plastic or pvc, not even like coating burning off of a hot wire. The first thing that pops into mind when I smell it is like that split flexible tubing they run wires through touching something hot like exhaust briefly, but I see nothing it could be. :banghead:

MyStang2010GB 7/29/11 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown (Post 6113353)
I can really wind it up 10 miles from home, and then just cruise the rest of the way and the smell is absent when I pull in. Its like what ever it is only happens when you're on it, then goes away quickly. Like I said, the best way to describe it is melting abs plastic or pvc, not even like coating burning off of a hot wire. The first thing that pops into mind when I smell it is like a that split flexible tubing they run wires through touching something hot like exhaust briefly, but I see nothing it could be. :banghead:

Same with the Boss....

2k7gtcs 7/29/11 06:19 PM

Vagisil?

I'm just trying to spit ball here Lee.

Rather B.Blown 7/29/11 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB (Post 6113358)
Same with the Boss....

That's good, well not good that its happening, but good to know that I'm not the only one that has it. http://www.alldeaf.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif That was the main purpose of the thread was to see if it was some freak thing with mine, and then if anyone had an answer as to a fix. I guess the easiest fix would be to keep my foot out of it on the way to the house. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...milies/lol.gif

Rather B.Blown 7/29/11 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs (Post 6113341)
Bryl-creem? Oh wait. NVM :p

Not unless Charlie has been driving it.

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs (Post 6113364)
Vagisil?

I'm just trying to spit ball here Lee.

Not unless Nathan has been driving it.

:jester:

cdynaco 7/29/11 06:50 PM

what does bryl cream grow hair? :headbob:

MyStang2010GB 7/29/11 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown (Post 6113370)
That's good, well not good that its happening, but good to know that I'm not the only one that has it. http://www.alldeaf.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif That was the main purpose of the thread was to see if it was some freak thing with mine, and then if anyone had an answer as to a fix. I guess the easiest fix would be to keep my foot out of it on the way to the house. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...milies/lol.gif

Then that takes all the fun out of owning either of these vehicles !!!

1 COBRA 7/30/11 03:53 AM

It sort of seems it runs rich when shifting at high RPMs for an extended period of time not of gasoline but the coolant probably from the heat of the S/C and intercooler fluid. Eventually the smell disappears after a few miles of normal driving.

USMC0341 7/30/11 11:13 AM

I get that smell after a long drive, a plastic/wax smell. I just think it's just components gassing off. like when you put on a new cat back it will smell for a while. What worries me is the noises the engine makes after I shut it off! lots of expanding/ contracting going on. But It's nothing to get concerned about.

houtex 7/30/11 04:35 PM

Does the smell of (plastic) death surround you?

/Can't believe nobody else said it. :p
//Oh, and what George 'just' said. Outgassin', it'll stop.

1 COBRA 7/31/11 03:34 AM

That's because we were patiently waiting for an expert's opinion, someone who really knows someone else's Mustang... :drunk:

:jester:

2 Go Snake 7/31/11 11:46 PM

I would say the area of the body near the catalytic converters is the cause of the smell. Get on your Mustang hard. Stop and pull over as soon as you can and look at the catalytic converters Those catalytic converters can get mighty hot. I have seen them cherry red. The body sealer near them can melt and smell.

Boomer 8/4/11 06:01 AM

Or you ran over a plastic bag or tarp you don't know about :jester:

Happened to me once, my X-pipe is still covered in melted plastic and you can smell it on the odd day. But it used to smell like hell when it first happened.