The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 Shelby Mustangs (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f767/)
-   -   All the codes! (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f767/all-codes-546504/)

Ingo 1/21/19 09:19 PM

All the codes!

I recently bought a 2010 Mustang GT500 with 38k miles. 2 days after purchase my check engine light came on and i took it to my mechanic who was bewildered as to how so many codes where thrown at the same time. Lack of communication with dash, oxygen sensor, navigation codes, something like 15 codes in all. My question is, is there a common electrical issue that could trigger so many codes or did i simply buy a piece of crap car. Alot of these codes are not related which is why my mechanic believes its gotta be some sort of root cause, electrical in nature triggering so many codes.

houtex 1/21/19 09:59 PM

Bad computer, bad wiring harness, bad connectors, bad grounds... There's quite a bit that can be a problem. Only thing you can do is go through all of it, top to bottom, until you find it. There's not going to be any one particular cause that can cause this.

It sounds as the base of it a loose/bad connector at the computer, but maybe a mouse ate the wires... :dunno:

If you can do it, look at all the things and figure it out, I highly recommend that, because it's gonna be pricey for a mechanic to do it... :(

Hope that helps, good luck. :nice:

Ingo 1/22/19 11:22 PM

Thanks for the tip. Yeah will def get to diagnosing this thing. I just find it weird that everything works and car is 100% with all these codes, def points to a faulty connection or something of the sort or this car wouldn't even start lol. Thanks again.

Ingo 2/5/19 04:49 PM

Thought Id share a bit of good news regarding this thread. Took mt GT500 to a tuner and had it inspected to find out all the aftermarket parts currently on the car. I bought it used about 2 weeks ago so didn't know exactly what the previous owner had done to it, neither did the Ford dealership i bought it from. Big Air intake, 67 MM throttle body, Off road X pipe, Long tube headers, 2.4 pulley, idler pulley, and spark plugs. After a proper tune the car is now making 567 HP 562 torque to the rear wheels. Or about 667 HP 662 torque to the flywheel. Tuner noticed a bundle of wires, pressed up against the engine which seemed to have gotten that way when the headers where replaced and the mechanic failed to move the wires to their proper position. Wires where burned through and short circuiting, causing my engine light issue which showed 10+ different codes! He cut the wires, tied them away fro the engine and made a re-connection. Engine light is off and has stayed off! Was afraid i was looking at several grand to replace a wiring harness or computer or both. Thankfully a few hours and an attentive tuner was enough to get it figured out.

SpectreH 2/5/19 05:36 PM

Sounds like you found a real mechanic who can fix things instead of just throwing parts at it...good deal!

m05fastbackGT 2/5/19 06:00 PM

Glad you were able to locate and take your car to a reputable tuner who got everything straighten out for you. Now you can really enjoy the full potential of what you're "10" GT500 has to offer :nice: