The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 Shelby Mustangs (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f767/)
-   -   2011 GT 500 Wheels and Stripes (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f767/2011-gt-500-wheels-stripes-483650/)

airforcedefender 5/24/10 09:14 PM

2011 GT 500 Wheels and Stripes

While the new aluminum block and other performance enhancements certainly make the 2011 GT 500 better overall, the new wheels and those thin stripes are a step backwards. Racing stripes are a love 'em or hate 'em kind of thing--those who love them want big, wide "look at me" stripes and those who hate them want them deleted altogether. Is there anyone out there who really wants something in between?

As for the wheels, they just look thin with all those spokes. The 2010 wheels look bold and intimidating. The 2011 wheels...not so much. Of course, I could be wrong. Your thoughts?

Ltngdrvr 5/24/10 09:44 PM

Those wheels and thin stripes you are talking about are exclusive to the SVT performance package, the regular GT500 is unchanged for wheels and stripes.

Overboost 5/24/10 10:04 PM

I 100% disagree. I like where they got the heritage from (older GT40 racecars), and the wheels look awesome in person. I just wish they had more options for colors with the stripes. Kona blue & red stripes looks terrible.

stangfoeva 5/25/10 01:09 AM

I like the thin stripes

2007 GT/CS 5/25/10 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by airforcedefender (Post 5877188)
While the new aluminum block and other performance enhancements certainly make the 2011 GT 500 better overall, the new wheels and those thin stripes are a step backwards. Racing stripes are a love 'em or hate 'em kind of thing--those who love them want big, wide "look at me" stripes and those who hate them want them deleted altogether. Is there anyone out there who really wants something in between?

As for the wheels, they just look thin with all those spokes. The 2010 wheels look bold and intimidating. The 2011 wheels...not so much. Of course, I could be wrong. Your thoughts?

Yes, you are wrong :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijey2brgqWM

bpmurr 5/25/10 06:24 AM

I finally saw the wheels in person this weekend. They don't look as bad. However, the SVT Package stripes still look bad. It seems a lot of SVT Package cars are stripe deletes. Maybe Ford will get a hint and offer the normal stripes for JOB 2.

RickyD 5/25/10 09:01 AM

I am really getting used to the thin stripes, but anyway, If I don't like them in person, I will remove them. An hour of work and a heat gun should do the trick.

Then, I will have the regular stripes painted. Still too early for me to say... car is still at the plant since April 7th ! :mad:

xlover 5/25/10 10:21 AM

love the thin stripes especially red on black paint

montreal ponies 5/27/10 08:09 PM

I just love those SVT performance pck wheels. aw then in person, and would love to get them for my GT. They must be pricey though.

2007 GT/CS 5/29/10 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by xlover (Post 5877486)
love the thin stripes especially red on black paint

Took the 2011 down to the local car show today and just stood back and listened. I would say you are in the majority (the *vast* majority. ok, the *unanimous* majority). :nice: Pictures just don't do them justice. Seeing them in person......

airforcedefender 6/20/10 11:45 AM

I Stand Corrected

Yesterday, I went to the Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup in Steamboat Springs, CO and saw a couple 2011 GT 500s. The thin stripes and the wheels--yeah, they look badass in person. I stand corrected...

harristotle 6/20/10 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by airforcedefender (Post 5895818)
Yesterday, I went to the Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup in Steamboat Springs, CO and saw a couple 2011 GT 500s. The thin stripes and the wheels--yeah, they look badass in person. I stand corrected...

I can't believe I missed that!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh: It was moving day anyways though so by the time I was done and heading there I wouldn't have seen anything. I need to find some good Ford/Mustang car shows here in Co. over the next month or so...

I'm not a fan of the thin stripes, but they've grown on me since they came out. I prefer the base wheels, but the SVT PP wheels aren't bad.

airforcedefender 6/20/10 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by harristotle (Post 5895951)
I can't believe I missed that!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh: It was moving day anyways though so by the time I was done and heading there I wouldn't have seen anything. I need to find some good Ford/Mustang car shows here in Co. over the next month or so...

I'm not a fan of the thin stripes, but they've grown on me since they came out. I prefer the base wheels, but the SVT PP wheels aren't bad.

The next Mustang/American Car Show is July 3rd in Loveland, CO. PM me if you want the details.

harristotle 6/25/10 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by airforcedefender (Post 5896023)
The next Mustang/American Car Show is July 3rd in Loveland, CO. PM me if you want the details.

Sent ya a PM, thanks!

FireDragon 6/25/10 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't care for the wheels till I saw them in person. Now I love 'em. Skinny stripes? Easy, stripe delete and I can add the regular stripes(painted) later if I want, which will look much better than the vinyl anyway.

shadowstang03gt 6/25/10 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by FireDragon (Post 5900175)
I didn't care for the wheels till I saw them in person. Now I love 'em. Skinny stripes? Easy, stripe delete and I can add the regular stripes(painted) later if I want, which will look much better than the vinyl anyway.

can u post some more pictures of your car. that car is unreal. i can only afford a GT. i hope they make repo's of those rims.

FireDragon 6/25/10 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by shadowstang03gt (Post 5900177)
can u post some more pictures of your car. that car is unreal. i can only afford a GT. i hope they make repo's of those rims.

Thanks! Here's a thread with more pics: https://themustangsource.com/f767/pi...-today-484023/

airforcedefender 6/25/10 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by harristotle (Post 5900043)
Sent ya a PM, thanks!

Mike, did you get my reply to your PM? I don't see it as a sent message. Let me know and I can E-mail you with details if the message didn't go through.

PACETTR 6/25/10 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost (Post 5877236)
I 100% disagree. I like where they got the heritage from (older GT40 racecars), and the wheels look awesome in person. I just wish they had more options for colors with the stripes. Kona blue & red stripes looks terrible.

Pics?

Originally Posted by montreal ponies (Post 5879462)
I just love those SVT performance pck wheels. aw then in person, and would love to get them for my GT. They must be pricey though.

:agree:

Originally Posted by FireDragon (Post 5900175)

We have that car on our showroom with a glass roof...:metal:

Ice Hawk 6/28/10 07:46 AM

Wow. That is one of the sexiest GT500s I seen! Wow. That color is fearce! No stripes with near matching rim color...mmmmmm. :drool: