The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2008 Shelby GT500KR and Super Snake (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f744/)
-   -   Rob Baran's EXCLUSIVE GT500KR Interview! (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f744/rob-barans-exclusive-gt500kr-interview-450097/)

TMSBrad 4/5/07 07:22 AM

Rob Baran's EXCLUSIVE GT500KR Interview!

Rob "mr-mstng" Baran is back from the New York Auto Show where the 2008 Shelby GT500KR was unveiled. He had the opportunity to sit down with Shelby Autos President Amy Boylan for a little Q&A based on questions submitted by TMS members.

Rob Baran, TheMustangSource.com: Is the Shelby GT500KR one year only?
Amy Boylan, Shelby Autos: Yes, but it depends on customer response.

TMS: Will the hood be available in the aftermarket?
AB: Yes, eventually. Shelby Autos is looking more into 'kits'. We want to allow people to build their own Shelby with the exception of the small badges and such.

TMS: Will there be a Shelby GT in 2008?
AB: Possibly. We are working with Ford on it. Look for additional colors.

TMS: Will the GT500KR be available in other colors?
AB: Ask Brad to create a poll on The Mustang Source Forms for color and stripe recommendations. We'd like to get one color/stripe combo that isn't available on the GT500.

TMS: Will the 20" wheels be available?
AB: Yes.

TMS: Will a GT500KR convertible be available?
AB: Possibly, but not in 2008.

TMS: When will production begin and when will cars be available?
AB: Look for the Shelby GT500KR to be available in the spring of 2008.

TMS: How many will be built?
AB: Not less than 1000, but nowhere near GT500 production.

TMS: What is the gear ratio in the GT500KR?
AB: 3.73:1

TMS: Was there any significant weight reduction?
AB: No, but we did take measures to more evenly balance the weight front to rear. The biggest weight problem is the cast iron block, which was too expensive to change.

TMS: Will the side mirrors be painted?
AB: They will most likely get the Shelby carbon fiber treatment.

TMS: Why wasn't the Ford GT engine used?
AB: Cost.

Rob: The Shelby GT500KR appears to be a much more refined vehicle in that it will have superior handling and braking dynamics than its lessen brethren, the GT500. Shelby wanted the KR to be 'well-balanced' with not just additional power, but additional refinements where it was needed. Based on what we have seen in NY, I think Shelby has hit target once again.

05retro 4/5/07 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by TMSBrad (Post 883648)
AB: Yes, eventually. Shelby Autos is looking more into 'kits'. We want to allow people to build their own Shelby with the exception of the small badges and such.

This is very promising. A: I want that hood. B: Shelby is recognizing people want to modify their cars to match the appearance of the Shelby. I understand the not selling the badges.

1FAFP90 4/5/07 08:06 AM

Thanks! - I get a hint that the KR will not be a one year deal, especially since the Convertible is a future year possibility, and when she said production will not be less than 1000.

mseymour3 4/5/07 08:08 AM

WOOHOO! Best news I've heard in a long time. This is what I wanted to do anyways. Add Shelby hood and other exterior stylings but without the badges. Thanks for the information Brad. This is great news for a lot of people.

Evil_Capri 4/5/07 08:21 AM

Thanks Rob! :nice:

AFBLUE 4/5/07 09:03 AM

Thanks for info. Interesting, new Shelby GT colors in 2008 (if there is one). I wonder when they will make a final decision.

FLAstangx3 4/5/07 11:11 AM

Awesome!! Thanks ever so much. Nice having it first hand, fior a change. Too bad about the PBF badging though. Sweet to see a vert down the line too.

Thks again Rob. TMS rocks!

Stangette 4/5/07 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mseymour3 (Post 883683)
WOOHOO! Best news I've heard in a long time. This is what I wanted to do anyways. Add Shelby hood and other exterior stylings but without the badges. Thanks for the information Brad. This is great news for a lot of people.

+1 This is good news and a similar thing that Roush does with their recently marketed Aero Package;- in OEM painted or ready to paint options.

At the local Market in the South Central area, most Clients are demanding the return of the Mineral Grey , DSG and the Windveil Blue in the Shelby Editions. :nice:

YaoNYC 4/5/07 02:11 PM

shoot!
this changes everything!!!

should i wait for this hood now?? wow!

upstate 4/5/07 07:10 PM

I'm in for a hood. It would be great if it came painted to match and stripes in place. I assume it is complete including the hood locks. That would be great.

Wolf 4/5/07 07:26 PM

AB: Ask Brad to create a poll on The Mustang Source Forms for color and stripe recommendations. We'd like to get one color/stripe combo that isn't available on the GT500.

Well, what exactly does Vapor look like? I would like to see a Tungsten Grey or maybe Vapor with black stripes. How about an exclusive color, like a metalic gunmetal?

TMSBrad 4/6/07 09:20 AM

I am trying to get confirmation and samples of the colors before I post the poll.

Wolf 4/6/07 10:45 AM

As usual, you are on top of things!:hail:

FLAstangx3 4/7/07 08:52 AM

You folks interested (ie: druling) over that hood. IF it does come to the aftermarket Shelby list, you can bet it will be way, way up there. You should check out Kevin's (05stangkc) new hood. It is awesome. And the nostril's, really do breathe. Not fake. Nice Ram Air induction system to come with it!!

V10 4/7/07 09:18 AM

......... The biggest weight problem is the cast iron block,......

I have to agree.

Do I have this straight?
Shelby is going to take GT-500s and turn them into KRs the same way Shelby takes a Mustang GT and makes a GT-H or Shelby GT out of them?

FLAstangx3 4/7/07 09:54 AM

YUP! what do expect. Everyone, well most anyway, know that a style change is coming in 09. Therefore, how do you sell 08's. Clone'em, Badge'em' and color'em. Typical Ford manuver. Same philosophy they are using with the F-150, having Foose and Saleen dress'em out, before a much long overdue facelift ensuing for that one also. IMHO.

AFBLUE 4/7/07 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 884276)
AB: Well, what exactly does Vapor look like?

An educated guess
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...t=vapor+silver

Hollywood_North GT 4/9/07 11:54 PM

TMS: Why wasn't the Ford GT engine used?
AB: Cost.

:hmm:

Well, the car is likely gonna come close to six figures when all is said and done. So why shouldn't it have gotten the Ford GT engine? :dunno:

Webba 4/10/07 07:46 AM

Then they would have to charge 200K instead of 100k. If you put it in the car at 100K the dealers couldnt make the money they are making. *insert violin music here*

jsaylor 4/10/07 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT (Post 887823)
:hmm:

Well, the car is likely gonna come close to six figures when all is said and done. So why shouldn't it have gotten the Ford GT engine? :dunno:

To be fair that is with ADM's. For Shelby's part the jump in msrp may not be nearly enough to justify using an aluminum block. Although, if they were to employ an aluminum block I say skip the hassles the GT's mid engine bias brings to the mix and go with the SHM piece, a move which would/could also bump the GT500's displacement up to 6.0L, and more importantly increase bore diameter, assuming such a piece could meet emissions requirements. I'd be willing to bet this would cost less to implement than the GT's block would for various reasons.