Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Urgency of airbag recall

Old 3/24/18, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife’s 08 verte drivers is done the passengers is due in next week she has been really pissed the passengers seat has been deemed unsafe but they would not disable it till fixed
Old 3/24/18, 07:17 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
I just... Yeah. Well, there's no saving this silliness, time to stop.

Can someone tell me when the S197 passenger airbags are being fixed at a decent rate, thanks in advance. That's all I was really in here for, and got sidetracked. Again. Sorry 'bout that.

hits eject button
I couldn't agree more about the silliness going on, especially when you provide very valuable info regarding the manufacturer's lack of responsibility concerning the safety issues directly related towards their airbag inflators. I also respect the fact that you always provide credible sources for backing up the info you provide on these forums in which I personally consider as very helpful to say the very least. At any rate, just want to say thanks and I'll be more than glad to let you know when the replacement parts become available for the passenger side inflators on this thread and also via PM as well. Also, you have nothing to apologize for as you weren't expecting to get sidetracked in the first place

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/25/18 at 02:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
houtex (4/4/18)
Old 3/26/18, 05:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Just got home from work and a letter from Ford was in my mailbox telling me that parts are now available for the passenger side recall.
I will be calling my dealer ASAP.

Just called the dealer and of course they do not have any parts yet. Said they are expecting them next week and I should call back on Monday. Unfortunately he would not "reserve" one for me even though I called now and had a letter.

Last edited by garyb900; 3/27/18 at 06:26 AM.
Old 3/27/18, 03:45 PM

It would appear they want to make certain the replacement parts are in before scheduling any appointments. Anyhow just a guess on my part
Old 3/27/18, 07:33 PM

Airbag fix

Originally Posted by garyb900
Just got home from work and a letter from Ford was in my mailbox telling me that parts are now available for the passenger side recall.
I will be calling my dealer ASAP.

Just called the dealer and of course they do not have any parts yet. Said they are expecting them next week and I should call back on Monday. Unfortunately he would not "reserve" one for me even though I called now and had a letter.
FWIW
I had to take my wife’s car by the dealership for them to verify mileage and VIN, before they would order an airbag for it.
Old 3/27/18, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2008pony

FWIW
I had to take my wife’s car by the dealership for them to verify mileage and VIN, before they would order an airbag for it.
IMO that is totally unacceptable. The dealership should have service records of your wife's car in their system. Mileage has absolutely nothing to do with the airbag inflator recall. All you should be required to do is call the dealership, provide them with your wife's VIN over the phone along with make, year and model. Also, inform them of the airbag recall notification letter you received from Ford and then request for them to order an airbag inflator replacement for it and have them set up an appointment to install it when it comes in!
Old 3/28/18, 09:48 AM

AB is ordered just not at dealership yet.
They have no service records...as this is my first experience with this particular dealer.
The usual dealer is new and small... said they had only gotten in a couple of ABs so far.
So I went to this dealership, that is close by.

My biggest beef is that Ford is warning you to not to use the passenger seat because of the danger but no such warning about drivers bag.
I don't know why the bag could not be temporally disabled for safety's sake...

Last edited by 2008pony; 3/28/18 at 09:49 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 3/28/18, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by 2008pony
AB is ordered just not at dealership yet.
They have no service records...as this is my first experience with this particular dealer.
The usual dealer is new and small... said they had only gotten in a couple of ABs so far.
So I went to this dealership, that is close by.

My biggest beef is that Ford is warning you to not to use the passenger seat because of the danger but no such warning about drivers bag.
I don't know why the bag could not be temporally disabled for safety's sake...
I don't understand why either? More than likely the warnings are just to cover Ford's butt from potential lawsuits and they won't temporarily disable the airbag inflators for obvious legal reasons, despite the safety dangers involved
Old 4/11/18, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Finally got my passenger airbag replaced yesterday. It's not a one passenger car anymore!
m05fastbackGT (4/11/18)
Old 4/11/18, 08:20 PM

Congrats and glad your replacements parts for the passenger side airbag inflator finally came in and were able to get them installed. Hopefully, they'll be no further airbag recalls for our rides
Old 4/14/18, 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Got the passenger side done today. Took about an hour.
Old 4/14/18, 02:06 PM

Congrats Gary
garyb900 (4/14/18)

Search this Thread