Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Squeaky Dash

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/05, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car's dash had developed a noisy squeak after enduring the hot Summer sun. It would be quiet while hot, but loud when it cooled off.

I finally got it to the dealer early one morning a couple of days ago, and they heard it loud and clear. They opened up the instrument panel top, stuffed a bunch of foam inside and........no more squeaks!
Old 10/1/05, 04:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Simple problem, simple solution.
Great to hear that your squeaks are gone.
Old 10/1/05, 05:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I took my 2006 in at 7:00am on Thursday and picked it up at 5:00p Friday on my way into work. As with yours, the rattles were worse in the cool morning air, so they wanted it a second day to have the chance to figure out where one of the rattles were coming from.

I had a total of 5 rattles that were driving me nuts. They fixed two in the passenger door, one of the rattles was the window regulator being loose. There was one behind the glove box they fixed that was just constant at highway speeds.

There was one that sounded like it was coming from the passenger rear quarter, but they could not find it. However, I fixed that one myself on my way home from work early this morning. Turns out it was the head rest on the passenger seat vibrating.

The 5th rattle was just awful. This past week, the early AM temps have been getting into the 40's, and once I would hit about 3500 RPM or higher, I was getting a very loud rattle that overpowered the sound from the engine -- it was that bad. I could not tell if it was coming from behind the center of the dash or from the engine bay. This is the rattle they needed it a 2nd day for. They ended up tracing it to the exhaust system, and the sound is resonating up from behind the dash. I have to take it back one day next week when the new part comes in. They said the part is listed as a "damper".

The serviceperson said they had a similar issue on the F-150's, and in that case, the damper was just a weight that is attached to a certain place on the exhaust and it cancels out the vibration, eliminating the rattle. They said that they were not positive the damper coming in for the Mustang was the same thing, but that it probably was. Apparently this is the first one they have repaired at my dealership, but it is obviously something Ford is aware of as a problem if they have a part ready to fix it!

I just hope that fixes it so I can drive in peace and quiet and enjoy the sound of the engine and exhaust. I can handle the other occassional squeaks and rattles on the big bumps, but all this stuff that was rattling nearly constantly had to go!

Other than the rattles, no other problems to report.
Old 10/1/05, 07:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Good luck, Kenny. I hope that damper does the trick!
Old 10/1/05, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I thought I too had a dash rattle. After listening carefully, I determined it was only heard when my foot was on the accelerator . The dealer lubricated the pedal and that took care of the annoying sound.
Old 10/1/05, 10:41 AM
GT Member

I don't think anyone will have cold weather squeaks and rattles around here, the coldest it gets early morning is in the upper 70's. warming up the the upper 90's

Won't be till mid November that we get some 60, 50 degree cold spells.
Old 10/1/05, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by KWMJ-KTP@October 1, 2005, 7:04 AM

......Other than the rattles, no other problems to report.
Well, it looks like I spoke too soon!

I took it up to Firestone today for it's first oil change, and they found a problem. My transmission is leaking fluid -- looks like it may be the front seal with where it is coming from. I have attached a couple pictures below here. Looks like it's back to the dealership 7:00am on Monday. I would just like to know how in the heck they did not notice this yesterday when they were looking at the exhaust rattle/vibration issue I mentioned earlier? I've not noticed any spots in the driveway, so I guess it is possible that it just started yesterday or today.

The pictures are kind of big, but here they are..........

Old 10/5/05, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by barjon@September 30, 2005, 9:04 PM
My car's dash had developed a noisy squeak after enduring the hot Summer sun. It would be quiet while hot, but loud when it cooled off.

I finally got it to the dealer early one morning a couple of days ago, and they heard it loud and clear. They opened up the instrument panel top, stuffed a bunch of foam inside and........no more squeaks!
They just took the top off ?

Any clues how this was done, I have those sqeaks inside the dash also, mostly on the driver side on the left of the steering wheel.

Thanks,
Old 10/7/05, 05:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Dineau@October 5, 2005, 8:14 PM
Any clues how this was done?
Unfortunately, I have no idea how (of even if) the top of the instrument panel comes off. I'm only going by the limited info the technician at the dealer told me.

Good luck getting your problem resolved!
Old 10/8/05, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

According to post early in the '05 production run, taking the dash top/cover involves taking siginificant pieces off the dash.
Anyone got a simplier solution?