Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rattles database

Old 1/24/07, 12:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thecarguy
For the door buzz - I have this but only under full-throttle. I took the panel off and still had the buzz. So it's something in the door. Do you know if they removed the clear plastic weather sheet thingy?
Yeah I remember they did (this was back when my old dealer was cool, they would tell/show me everything) The removed the arm rest, the backing and then the clear plastic your talking about, they put some thin foam behind the plastic and on top of it and then put the panel and arm rest back on, I will mention that the tech who did this told me he put enough to cover more then the problem area so that he did not have to be 100% right on the noises exact location. I wish I could help more.
Old 1/24/07, 01:29 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Yeah I remember they did (this was back when my old dealer was cool, they would tell/show me everything) The removed the arm rest, the backing and then the clear plastic your talking about, they put some thin foam behind the plastic and on top of it and then put the panel and arm rest back on, I will mention that the tech who did this told me he put enough to cover more then the problem area so that he did not have to be 100% right on the noises exact location. I wish I could help more.
No this is good. My suspicion all along is that it is that clear plastic weather barrier that buzzes against the metal door in areas that it is close to contacting. My theory anyways, as when I drove around with the door panel off, when I pushed on the clear plastic it seemed to lessen and change tone.
Old 1/24/07, 02:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Anyone have a rattle that seems to come from behind/around the gauge cluster?
Old 1/24/07, 03:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by clintoris
That's one of the reasons I was relieved when I found out they wouldn't be making another hatchback.... back in the day when Motor Trend's renderings indicated such.... my '88 GT was horrible for that..... and when I was driving fast with a heavy cross wind, the rear gate would agtually lift up and I could see daylight...
My 85 GT did that too.
Old 1/24/07, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05BlackGT
ME!

Had the door latch cover rattle also but fixed that one.
Old 1/24/07, 10:05 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Get an offroad H pipe and SLP loudmouths (or Flowmasters) and all your rattle concerns are cured
Old 1/25/07, 12:14 PM
GT Member

My driver seat squeaks alot, mostly when I'm braking.
Old 1/26/07, 08:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

I could have sworn I had a rattle coming from the gauge cluster - it sounded like it was coming from the tachometer. Mine only happened in cold weather, when the rpms were around 2500-3200, usually during acceleration. In the summer, the rattle completely went away. Then, when it got cold again this winter, the rattle returned.

I brought it in to the dealer last winter and drove with a technician, but it didn't rattle during the test drive. Once the inside of the car was warm, it stopped happening I guess. We even opened the windows, but we couldn't hear the rattle.

So a couple weeks ago I took off both door panels to replace the Shaker 500 6"x8" speakers with some Pioneers, and now that the door panels are back on, there is no more rattle. Not sure if it's coincidence, or if the rattle really was coming from the trim piece behind the inside door opener handle (which was loose).

So I would say to check out that trim piece behind the door handle and see if it's loose. It pries right out with a screw driver or panel remover.
Old 1/26/07, 12:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by wjones14
I could have sworn I had a rattle coming from the gauge cluster - it sounded like it was coming from the tachometer. Mine only happened in cold weather, when the rpms were around 2500-3200, usually during acceleration. In the summer, the rattle completely went away. Then, when it got cold again this winter, the rattle returned.

I brought it in to the dealer last winter and drove with a technician, but it didn't rattle during the test drive. Once the inside of the car was warm, it stopped happening I guess. We even opened the windows, but we couldn't hear the rattle.

So a couple weeks ago I took off both door panels to replace the Shaker 500 6"x8" speakers with some Pioneers, and now that the door panels are back on, there is no more rattle. Not sure if it's coincidence, or if the rattle really was coming from the trim piece behind the inside door opener handle (which was loose).

So I would say to check out that trim piece behind the door handle and see if it's loose. It pries right out with a screw driver or panel remover.
Wow, so you just tightened the torx screw holding the door handle trim piece? I have moleskin to install, so I'll check that. Thanks.
Old 1/26/07, 01:14 PM
V6 Member

The passenger side A-Pillar was one of the worst rattle. I had the TBS for the center stack installed but it did not fix the original A-pillar noise Using various write ups found searching the old warranty issues form list I was able to fix the rattle. If you go to my write (link below) I included a link to a PDF with pics of the process. I have had to repeat this process on the driver’s side since fixing the passenger side.

The only rattle the dealer ever fixed was one that sounded as if it was coming from beneath the car but per their remarks they tightened something under the dash? Never could find out what that was. I still think it was a lose exhaust hanger... Anyways, I'm rattle free... Well, as good as it can be in a convertible...

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...96&postcount=1
Old 1/27/07, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, so you just tightened the torx screw holding the door handle trim piece? I have moleskin to install, so I'll check that. Thanks.
Well, like I said, I really don't know what was causing the rattle, but knock on wood, it hasn't rattled since I swapped out the door speakers. The trim piece under the door handle that covers the torx screw is what was loose - I think the torx screw itself seemed tight. So when I put back the trim piece, I just made sure the fasteners were not bent and the piece snapped back on tightly.

The other piece that just pries off and snaps on is the sail cover for the outside mirror adjustment. That didn't seem loose, but maybe it was.

The funny thing about the whole thing is that the rattle really seemed to be coming from the tachometer area - so maybe it's hard to tell exactly where a rattle is coming from.
Old 1/29/07, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dash rattles removed . As the result of a short road trip yesterday I silenced my dash rattles with two sticks of gum (still in the wrapper) by simply wedging each piece between the interiot trim and the dash .What a pleasant feeling, not hearing them anymore. Of course I will replace the gum with something more automotively correct ,but the idea came from this forum. THANKYOU ALL!
Old 2/1/07, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a new rattle in the shifter area. It's NOT the exhaust related center stack rattle (I have that one too). This one occurs only while at a stop in gear (D), and is obviously caused by the engine vibration - it goes away when in park or neutral. It sounds like something loose under the console between the bottom of the radio and the shifter. Anyone else had this?
Old 2/3/07, 12:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Check this out... I had a rattle which was driving me crazy... sounded like it was coming from the passenger upper dash panel. After 4 days of hell, I had my wife drive around while I tried to isolate the rattle while sitting in passenger seat.. oddly, rattle now sounded more dash centered.. turns out the passenger visor was not completely 'latched' all the way and was vibrating on the clip...DOH
Old 2/6/07, 02:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by karrnutt
Dash rattles removed . As the result of a short road trip yesterday I silenced my dash rattles with two sticks of gum (still in the wrapper) by simply wedging each piece between the interiot trim and the dash .What a pleasant feeling, not hearing them anymore. Of course I will replace the gum with something more automotively correct ,but the idea came from this forum. THANKYOU ALL!
I have the exact same rattle issues you described on my new 07 GT (only 750 miles on it so far)... a real annoying rattle just above the guage cluster and just below the dash overhang, and a less annoying rattle in the upper area of the center dash. While driving, I can actually stop the rattle by putting slight pressure with a finger on the dash just above the guages and just below the dash. If I can't eliminate the rattle as you described, I'm going to let the dealer handle it.
Old 2/6/07, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a rattle that appears to be coming from inside the center stack maybe behind the AC *****. Actually, the rattle is more of a buzz like a really thin piece of metal vibrating behind the center stack. I tried to putting pressure on each **** and trim piece and at various points on the center stack to better locate the source, but no such luck.
Old 2/14/07, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

i've got a rattle/sqeak from what seems to be the driver's side air vent /where the dash meets the plastic light control switch area.... sometimes it happens all the time... sometimes it doesnt do it at all... i tried wedging pieces of thick paper in there to see if it would stop.... but its hard to know if it made it stop or if it just isn't doing it at the time... anyone else had this problem??
Old 2/15/07, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I have a rattle that sounds like it is behind the guage cluster. Very loud and annoying. but it only happens when the outside temp is 50 or less and I go over bumps. When it is warm, no rattle. It seems the dash plastic must be rubbing against something when it is cold outside! I would not trust the dealer to take my dash apart to find the source of the rattle. Luckily as I mentioned, it only happens when the temp is 50 or lower (early AM) and since I live in Phoenix, it is rarely 50 when I'm driving my car so I'll probably just live with it. But the question remains, why do our cars have to have these interior rattles and noises. You would think that Ford would have used some type of insulating material so the interior plastic materials would not have this problem. I would have paid a little more to have a noise free interior. But I love my car. Is the rattle behind the dash cluster a fix that me, a non-mechanic guy, can fix?
Old 3/3/07, 11:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by neil07gt
I have a rattle that appears to be coming from inside the center stack maybe behind the AC *****. Actually, the rattle is more of a buzz like a really thin piece of metal vibrating behind the center stack. I tried to putting pressure on each **** and trim piece and at various points on the center stack to better locate the source, but no such luck.
Haven't posted on this site in a while but I knew I could look to you guys for answers. I have this same exact rattle/buzz. Have you found the cause yet? I'm tempted to pull the glove box out and search while some else drives. It only happens when it's cold so having it occur for the dealer is not always easy. It tends to go away after the interior warms up.
Old 3/3/07, 01:59 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try ejecting all CDs from the shaker and see if that helps..
just a thought

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattles database