The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair and Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/)
-   -   Possible Automatic Shifting Problem? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/possible-automatic-shifting-problem-522063/)

Pony07 5/28/13 11:13 AM

Possible Automatic Shifting Problem?

My 2007 has the 5R552 5spd auto and I'm not sure if this is the beginning of a problem. Sometimes after driving, if I try to shift from drive into reverse, or back to drive from reverse or park, there will be a delay. It'll wait several seconds after I move the lever. It does not happen every single time though, and its hard to pin down what conditions it happens. It does not make any strange noises while driving.

My car has 80k miles. I'm still covered by a Ford warranty but the thing is, I hate going to a shop only to be told "could not duplicate problem". Has anyone else had this? Is it something that will get progressively worse? I've got 3 months left on the warranty and I sure don't want to be stuck having to replace the trans later on.

What could it be? Should I bother taking it in to the shop, even if they probably won't experience it?

Pony07 7/14/13 12:14 PM

wow! I must be the only one who has ever had this problem!

stupidgenius36 7/14/13 12:27 PM

Sorry, this is the first time I've seen this thread. I have the same issue. There will be a delay shifting into reverse, then it'll suddenly slam into gear hard enough to jerk the whole car.

I've had the issue for quite a while, and it has gotten worse. It happens all the time now. I'm thinking it's eventually gonna stop shifting into reverse at all.

I haven't had a warranty in a long time. But if you have yours, I would definitely take it in...

RCW 7/15/13 08:20 AM

Same Here

I have also had the same shifting into reverse issue, along with other shifting issues. My baby now has 110K miles and I have always had intermittent shifting issues since about 20k miles. My dealer has had their "Transmission Expert" look at it and test drive it several times. The diagnosis, was "there is nothing wrong." I have had the transmission "Serviced" fluid flushed and changed at 60K and at 90k. After the flushes it will drive great for about 2k, than same intermittent shifting issues come back. I have also reset the electronic shift settings to default, in the transmission several times with the same returning results. I have decided that maybe I just got a rare, automatic transmission with issues, in my baby as I have not read/heard of any widespread issues similar as mine with the 5R55s Transmission. Good Luck.

RCW

Pony07 12/27/13 11:19 PM

I know I'm a little late replying back, but for the benefit of anyone else who may have this problem I did have the dealer repair it under warranty. They acknowledged the problem, which was the Solenoid Pack, part# 9L2Z7G391A. Plus replacement of the trans fluid.... That part runs over $400 and the labor would have been at least a couple hundred more, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it!!

It does shift like a new car now.

Lime GT 1/5/14 10:42 PM

Thank's for the follow up.

Fluff Phelps 10/9/14 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pony07 (Post 6735734)
I know I'm a little late replying back, but for the benefit of anyone else who may have this problem I did have the dealer repair it under warranty. They acknowledged the problem, which was the Solenoid Pack, part# 9L2Z7G391A. Plus replacement of the trans fluid.... That part runs over $400 and the labor would have been at least a couple hundred more, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it!!

It does shift like a new car now.

Did you ever have the overdrive light come on and flash? Because my Mustang shifts like that as well and I just want to make sure dropping 700 dollars on a solenoid will fix it!

Pony07 10/10/14 12:40 PM

Nope. Never had a light come on. Mine was simply delayed shifts from park to reverse to drive.

ford4v429 10/15/14 05:06 AM

hmm... ive noticed the wifes car is slow to engage reverse when backing it out of the garage (ive only driven hers a few times), reminds me of our 65 LTD, its got original tranny and is slow to build pressure when its cold...
in the 65 i just go from drive to reverse a few times to get oil flowing, and it engages right away- otherwise it will slip like crazy for about 30 seconds... know its apples and oranges, but wonder if simply 'rocking' the shifter drive to reverse a bunch of times might help freeup the sticky solenoids? bet theres a detergent additive also that could help. if it still shifts, the solenoids arent bad- just sticky spools in a bad place...

I would definitely look into a fluid change before paying to service the solenoids. I put royal purple synchromax atf in my 06 stick- i'd burned the 2nd synchro powershifting at the track, was going to rebuild the tranny, someone in here suggested RP first- did it and within minutes tranny was better than new- I can bang 2nd at redline again, it 'falls' into 3rd where before it was kinda easy to miss... I'm sold... I know it didnt 'fix' anything, all I can think is it musta cleaned any glazing off the synchro or something... its not cheap oil, but a lot cheaper than solenoids AND oil. have heard equally good results with redline synthetics, think its a little cheaper... might be worth a shot, likely due for a change anyway...

Evan Hisey 1/24/19 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pony07 (Post 6858732)
Nope. Never had a light come on. Mine was simply delayed shifts from park to reverse to drive.

bro i had the same problem. Got a deal on my mustang 5500 for 2007 newly rebuilt engine. When i got it the same problems so i took it into the dealership i got it from talked them into getting me a rebuilt transmission for free. DIDN'T ****ING FIX ****. Everything all of you said hasnt worked. Even changing the entire tranny ahaha. So now i got a new transmission that does thay same **** thing. My pops used to be a master technician he moved up at ford and now is in management. Had his buddy look at it, laughed and said it was something on the shifter. Like a hook or something that wears off. So before anyone starts changing fluid or thinking its your transmission lol remember it can also be you're shifters. I got a free rebuilt tranny outta it but a year later i still havent fixed the problem. So for anyone that has a delay into drive or at a light and it goes out of drive and has a delay when you hit the gas.. as weird as it sounds it may not even be you're transmission.

shadad 4/23/19 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36 (Post 6656726)
Sorry, this is the first time I've seen this thread. I have the same issue. There will be a delay shifting into reverse, then it'll suddenly slam into gear hard enough to jerk the whole car.

I've had the issue for quite a while, and it has gotten worse. It happens all the time now. I'm thinking it's eventually gonna stop shifting into reverse at all.

I haven't had a warranty in a long time. But if you have yours, I would definitely take it in...

sorry to comment on this article.

I have the same exact issue. and just today my car stop going in to D and R ... did you find what what the issue ??

thank you

jakecoke 6/26/20 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by shadad (Post 7040902)
sorry to comment on this article.

I have the same exact issue. and just today my car stop going in to D and R ... did you find what what the issue ??

thank you

. I also had this happen to my 2001 v6 mustang. No longer moves in drive or reverse. Did you find anything?

houtex 6/26/20 04:22 PM

Well, the problem is that's a year ago, and the other problem is the 4R70W is your transmission, whereas the '05-10 used the 5R55S, so the problem's not exactly going to be the same... but the causes probably are. It's going to be a servo or two that's bad, or the fluid is low or burnt, or maybe the planetary gears are gone, or perhaps the sun gear shaft broke, or maybe the electronics are gone, or perhaps it's the bands, clutches, torque converter... lots of things are possible, and not just any one at any time, could be multiple/cascade effect. The 'fix' is just to take it to a transmission shop to be rebuilt, buy a new/refurb unit and swap it out, or go to a junkyard and get one there and swap it out, hoping it works...

You can watch this video series below, starting with this Part 1 Lesson 1, or many like it in the same vein, to learn about your automatic transmission, the 4R70W. And for comparison, you can look up the 5R55S, which will have both differences and similarities. And if you feel confident, you could even rebuild it yourself. I would, why the heck not. But that's me. Anyway, here's the video to start with.

CRYSTALANN69 1/3/22 09:48 AM

MY 2006 MUSTANG GT HAS HAD SEVERAL TIMES OVER THE PAST YEAR WHEN PARKED WILL NOT GO INTO ANY GEAR. THE LEVER MOVES BUT NOTHING IT WILL NOT ENGAGE. HAVE HAD IT TOWED AND WHEN TAKING IT OFF THE TRUCK IT STARTS WORKING AGAIN. HAVE AT OTHER TIMES TURNED THE KEY ON AND OFF SEVERAL TIMES AND IT WILL START WORKING AGAIN. LINKAGE IS GOOD SO NOT QUITE SURE WHAT THE ISSUE IS BUT IT NEEDS TO GET FIXED.

houtex 1/4/22 02:50 PM

First... Ow. My ears. No need to yell.

Welcome to the forums! :wave:

Overall... yes, your last statement regarding 'it needs to get fixed' is correct sounding to me. I would definitely take it to a proper shop that knows what they're doing. If it's linkage, then depending on the time/situation/? it will not work, then magically after jostling it will. If you've been doing this towing to a place several times and they've not fixed it, it's time for a better place.

Your key has nothing to do with it, beyond part of the unlocking of the shifter (key on, brake pedal pressed). It's you moving the stick around and then it hits. The 2006 shifter is mechanical, therefore that needs inspection from top to bottom.

That is of course a *guess* from waaaaay over here, and it really requires someone who knows what they're doing/looking at to fix it. That could be you, or it could be another, but someone nonetheless, and probably requires the car in the air as well.

Good luck, hope that helps, and the Caps Lock is the button you wanna press next time. :D :wave:

/Reminds me of the Reynolds stuff at dealerships... everyone yells in those systems because Reynolds doesn't acknowledge lower case for commands. :p