Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Out of warranty what have you had to replace

Old 11/14/14, 05:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangSally2006
Two stangs, I do have the water leak. When it pours, it pours inside the passenger side floorboard. Is yours that bad? I don't have a garage, which makes it much worse.

Yes, if it rains hard and for more than a few minutes, the passenger side floor area is soaking wet and I have to air dry the carpet, plus use a mildew inhibitor. Car washes and light rain are okay, but I fear anything longer than ten minutes. I have personally clean the cowl area per the TSB instructions, but it still leaks. I either use an all weather car cover or put it into my tiny garage.
Old 8/5/15, 07:33 AM

2007 GT, 3:55 rear. From day one, my clutch release bearing had a slight whine when depressing the pedal. I should have taken it in for warranty work but hindsight is 20-20 as they say.
Two years ago, I took the car on a trip from Baltimore to St. Lois. The bearing sounded the same on the trip out. But when I got there, there was a slight "Jingling" noise that was obviously associated with the release bearing.

On the trip home, I could just tell that things were going south (even though I was driving east ). Keep in mind that this was Memorial Day weekend and I was driving home on the Sunday, through no-man's-land AKA I-79 in West Virginia and I-68 in western Maryland ... at night. I feared that I would have to use the clutch when there was a roadside sign stating, "Roadwork Ahead Expect Delays". Oh, that ain't good! What the heck am I do do if the clutch pedal hits the floor.

The car made it to MD and the pedal finally went to the floor in front of my buddy's home. He took me to my house and we came back to collect the car on the following morning. (I found a rather rude and profane note on the windshield. Thanks neighbors!) We put fluid in the master cylinder but it pumped out as fast as it was replaced.

Of course, this was 1 month out of the extended warranty, the only extended warranty that I have EVER purchased. Thank you Ford! $753 to have it fixed ... at a friend's garage, not Ford.

So now, two years later I have a differential pinion seal leaking. So does my cousin who has an '06 GT with an automatic. Up until now, it has been a great car and I really love it. But searching this forum, it appears that the pinion seal is a common failure. I don't have the time or tools to change it so I guess it will be time to open the wallet again.

Thanks for your time!
Old 8/5/15, 09:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
I've had the pinion seal work done as well. Original clutch is still carrying on, though!
Old 8/5/15, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
I've had the pinion seal work done as well. Original clutch is still carrying on, though!
I'm glad that your clutch is working well. It hit me at an inconvenient time because I was in MD and my tools were in FL (because I am moving). The release bearing is a hydraulic type (as you know) and the cost at NAPA is $249. So, they are not cheap! Thanks for your reply.
Old 8/5/15, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by kvflyer
2007 GT, 3:55 rear. From day one, my clutch release bearing had a slight whine when depressing the pedal. I should have taken it in for warranty work but hindsight is 20-20 as they say.
Two years ago, I took the car on a trip from Baltimore to St. Lois. The bearing sounded the same on the trip out. But when I got there, there was a slight "Jingling" noise that was obviously associated with the release bearing.

On the trip home, I could just tell that things were going south (even though I was driving east ). Keep in mind that this was Memorial Day weekend and I was driving home on the Sunday, through no-man's-land AKA I-79 in West Virginia and I-68 in western Maryland ... at night. I feared that I would have to use the clutch when there was a roadside sign stating, "Roadwork Ahead Expect Delays". Oh, that ain't good! What the heck am I do do if the clutch pedal hits the floor.

The car made it to MD and the pedal finally went to the floor in front of my buddy's home. He took me to my house and we came back to collect the car on the following morning. (I found a rather rude and profane note on the windshield. Thanks neighbors!) We put fluid in the master cylinder but it pumped out as fast as it was replaced.

Of course, this was 1 month out of the extended warranty, the only extended warranty that I have EVER purchased. Thank you Ford! $753 to have it fixed ... at a friend's garage, not Ford.

So now, two years later I have a differential pinion seal leaking. So does my cousin who has an '06 GT with an automatic. Up until now, it has been a great car and I really love it. But searching this forum, it appears that the pinion seal is a common failure. I don't have the time or tools to change it so I guess it will be time to open the wallet again.

Thanks for your time!

Wait, you had an extended warranty and drove the whole time with a noisy clutch/throwout bearing. And you are mad at Ford because you were too lazy to take in when you should of and it goes out a month after your extended warranty expired. Well that makes a whole lot of sense.
The following users liked this post:
Glenn (6/7/16)
Old 6/7/16, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
Bump
Old 10/20/16, 06:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

BUMP

I had to replace a brake light bulb recently.

Has anyone else had to replace anything
Old 10/21/16, 09:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
This is my second Mustang. (2006 V6 Pony). I got last year in April after my 2007 V6 was totaled. That car had several issues with the tie rod ends failing, the brake rotors and pads having to be replaced, several light bulbs, windshield wipers, two batteries, alternator, thermostat, thermostat housing.

My current car, the Redfire '06 has had persistent coolant issues but I think are finally fixed for a while. 85.800 miles on it now, 73,350 when I got it. When I first got the car last year, it needed new tires. The coolant issues began in September 2015. It was first a sticking thermostat, then the coolant overflow tank had a crack in it, and then just last week, the thermostat housing (plastic) needed to be replaced. (There is another thread I started with a recount of the whole ordeal.) I need new wipers soon. The rotors will need to be replaced or turned in the spring, I believe, lots of steering wheel wobble under hard braking, just like my old grey car, too.
Old 10/22/16, 08:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Wow! /\ /\... I did replace my rotors recently also. 96k miles.
Old 10/24/16, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thermostat housings seem to be very common on the S197 V6. Might as well make it a regular maintenance item! Replace at around 85k miles. Also light bulbs, these cars go thru rear brake/turn bulbs FAST. I replaced mine several times. At first I thought Ford used a sucky quality vendor at the factory but then with the replacements failing I think the design of the tail light housing makes them hot so they don't last long. I dunno, just a guess. My previous Camaro did not burn out.
Old 10/24/16, 05:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have replaced two bulbs so far.
Old 10/25/16, 08:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Pony07
Thermostat housings seem to be very common on the S197 V6. Might as well make it a regular maintenance item! Replace at around 85k miles. Also light bulbs, these cars go thru rear brake/turn bulbs FAST. I replaced mine several times. At first I thought Ford used a sucky quality vendor at the factory but then with the replacements failing I think the design of the tail light housing makes them hot so they don't last long. I dunno, just a guess. My previous Camaro did not burn out.
Yup. Mine on both of my V6 Mustangs went out at about the same mileage. My '07 went out at 71,000 miles and my '06 went out at 85,000. But, my '07 had many more cold winters outside in Colorado.
Old 10/28/16, 07:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
The big one for me was having to replace the evaporator core. The dash must be removed to do it. Much labor, Many dollars, much sadnesses.

The interior started smelling, in my bride's words, "like giraffe". If you get that funky smell, that is your refrigerant doing the slow leak thing. The new evap core fixed it completely. But expensive. Whoof.
Old 11/5/16, 07:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Lately, I've had to replace:
* Thermostat housing - ~85K miles.
* Couple of brake lights - ~90K miles.
* Brake pads and rotors - ~95K miles.
* Parking brake cables - ~98K miles.

Just did the cables today, so that I can get inspected. The original cables have been completely seized for quite some time after a winter freeze a few years back. Here's what the 12-year-old original cables looked like:

Old 12/31/16, 03:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Just the thread I was looking for. I'm hoping to buy a 2006 GT manual w/89K miles next week as a project, and I was seeking this information for help. Thanks folks.
Old 1/25/17, 09:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Harmonic Balancer - 100,500 miles.

I started getting a really loud squeal, which turned out to be due to the harmonic balancer pulley falling apart. Oddly enough, my father just had the exact same issue a week earlier on his 2007.
Attached Thumbnails Out of warranty what have you had to replace-20170118_091638.jpg  
Old 1/26/17, 06:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

WOW /\
Old 1/26/17, 05:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Ditto. I was saving my stock balancer after putting in underdrive pulleys in last year. After seeing this though, probably not (not far behind you, 90k on it)
Old 3/29/18, 06:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

replaced the pinion seal a while back myself. I figure my pinion angle is off. It is leaking again so I took it to a shop. They said I should go through and rebuild it all. Around 1300 bucks He said he most likely drop an auburn in there instead of rebuilding that part of it. 108K miles. I would like to have it looked at to make sure everything is adjusted to spec. Seems a bit high tho. I need to check one other place.
Old 3/29/18, 06:48 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
76K miles....just the rear sway end links so far.