Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Noise when turning in parking lots,etc

Search this Thread

Old 1/24/12, 06:23 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatMattGuy
I made a video of the noise, It's at about 13 seconds in. Please check it out and let me know what you think it is..

http://youtu.be/9KP-VOPZvWQ
I couldnt hear anything? suggset having someone steer it with the hood open while you listen outside, could be a balljoint/tierod/strut mount...if the noise inside, theres a 'clockspring' under the wheel that holds the airbag wiring, and probably a slipring for the horn...not sure on the slipring, but my wheel has a slight squeak that I always assumed was the horn contact on a slipring...my mercury does the same thing- but its very quiet on both cars...
Old 1/24/12, 09:34 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429

I couldnt hear anything? suggset having someone steer it with the hood open while you listen outside, could be a balljoint/tierod/strut mount...if the noise inside, theres a 'clockspring' under the wheel that holds the airbag wiring, and probably a slipring for the horn...not sure on the slipring, but my wheel has a slight squeak that I always assumed was the horn contact on a slipring...my mercury does the same thing- but its very quiet on both cars...
Yes, you can't really hear it outside the vehicle, it's loud inside though..but like loud enough to go over my ambient music..
Old 1/25/12, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't really tell from the video.

Is the fluid around the hose fitting close to the pump? That could be oil from the oil filter after an oil change.

Is the fluid low?

If the fluid is dark, (it's normally a dark red) - almost black - there is garbage in the pump.
Old 7/3/16, 11:20 AM

Fixed?

Was this issue ever fixed? I am now having it as well but I only have 23k miles on mine. This happened the day I took it home from the dealership

Every time I turn in a parking lot or similar places my car makes a very loud squeaking noise. This doesn't happen with I'm driving on the road or anything, just when I maneuver through parking lots. Really embarrassing. I thought it was my tires, that maybe they were low, but I checked them and they have 45 psi, at 50 max so that's not it....any ideas? Also it isn't the squeaky belt, as I've had it before and it's not like that. More like something bending...or stretching.
Old 1/9/20, 04:14 PM

I made a video of the noise, It's at about 13 seconds in. Please check it out and let me know what you think it is..

http://youtu.be/9KP-VOPZvWQ
Did you ever figure this out? I have a 2008 GT 5 speed and it makes the exact same noise I heard in the video. Low speeds turning in a parking lot or into my driveway.
Old 1/15/20, 11:55 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,589 Posts
If the noise your describing has a popping like sound to it? chances are it's your upper strut mounts. Ford replaced mine under warranty. There's also a Ford TSB that recommends replacing the originals with the updated/revised versions which fixed the noise issues. At any rate, you may want to consider having your upper strut mounts replaced, if you haven't already done so
Old 1/15/20, 12:13 PM

It isn't really popping but more of a rubbing/grinding type sound. If you watch the YouTube video at 14 seconds you can hear it. It sounds exactly like that and seem to do it more after I've driven for a while. If I am driving with the car "cold" I don't seem to notice it as much.
Old 8/15/20, 10:55 AM

Anybody figure this out yet? I'm having the exact same issue in my 2011 GT when turning sharp left at low speeds. To be clear, it is NOT a "popping" sound. Its a rubbing or grinding sound like the op posted in his youtube video. (Its difficult to hear in the video, but its around the 14 sec mark.)

Some have asked if it may be the ball bearing/joint, but I was under the impression that a worn joint/bearing would lead to noises at all times and not just when turning left at slow speeds. (At least that's what I experienced when I had to replace the bearings in my 05 GT.)

Thanks everyone!
Old 8/15/20, 04:10 PM

It was the clutch packs in rear differential. Replaced those and it took care of the issue.
Old 8/15/20, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by bettsns
It was the clutch packs in rear differential. Replaced those and it took care of the issue.
Thank you, Sir! I will look into this now. (Its so weird though. It's the exact sound from the video posted above, but the sound clearly comes from the front left of the car and only when turning sharp left.)
Old 8/15/20, 07:02 PM

I’ve also heard that changing the diff fluid and adding the correct amount of friction modifier could do it. Or just adding more friction modifier. Don’t quote me on that though.
Old 8/15/20, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by bettsns
I’ve also heard that changing the diff fluid and adding the correct amount of friction modifier could do it. Or just adding more friction modifier. Don’t quote me on that though.
Got it. I'll check the fluids first. Thanks, again.
Old 6/26/23, 02:23 AM

Same problem

Originally Posted by Draekus
Thank you, Sir! I will look into this now. (Its so weird though. It's the exact sound from the video posted above, but the sound clearly comes from the front left of the car and only when turning sharp left.)
Hello, please see if you have solved the problem. I have the same problem. Thank you
Old 6/26/23, 01:37 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Have you checked your front stabilizer bar end links? It might be your front/left stabilizer bar end link bushing that is worn out!
Old 6/26/23, 02:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by kapisCZ
Hello, please see if you have solved the problem. I have the same problem. Thank you
you might want to start a new thread for this, with a clear description of your problem, and a video with sound if possible

and, welcome to the forum