The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair and Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/)
-   -   New Tires for a 2006 GT (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/new-tires-2006-gt-539744/)

roger blose 12/9/15 12:42 PM

New Tires for a 2006 GT

My 2006 GT came with Pirelli P Zero Neros A/S and lasted a solid 50K. They were noisy at the end but performed well year round. Last summer, I replaced them with the same brand / style. After a week, I had to return and they replaced two tires to try and get rid of a vibration at 60-70mph. Since then, the car has had a terrible vibration front and rear. I have had the car Road Force balanced twice, moved the wheels around the car several times, indexed the wheels to the hubs, and had a complete brake job done with all 4 rotors replaced. Pirelli NA has not been helpful and I am stuck replacing these tires at my expense in 2500 miles of driving! Anyone had experience with Michelin AS3s or other brands? Before this, my car was smooth for 50K and a delight to drive. Not any more thanks to Pirelli Q/C.

karman 12/9/15 05:36 PM

Do you have 17" wheels?

Cavero 12/9/15 05:40 PM

Do you have a buddy you can swap wheels with? Might help isolate the problem to the wheels/tires

roger blose 12/9/15 05:48 PM

I have the 17" factory wheels. I did swap the front Pirellis for my Michelin Ice 3 snow tires which are mounted on factory Bullitt wheels and the front was calm while the back had a vibration. Put the Pirellis back on the front and the whole car vibrates.....bingo.

Cavero 12/10/15 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by roger blose (Post 6957366)
I have the 17" factory wheels. I did swap the front Pirellis for my Michelin Ice 3 snow tires which are mounted on factory Bullitt wheels and the front was calm while the back had a vibration. Put the Pirellis back on the front and the whole car vibrates.....bingo.

Ok, sounds like tires are bad then. Where did you buy them?

houtex 12/10/15 08:27 PM

Cooper Zeon RS3-As. You'll love them. Srsly. :nice:

Cavero 12/11/15 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cavero (Post 6957477)
Ok, sounds like tires are bad then. Where did you buy them?

BTW, have you hit any bad potholes lately? Or has the car been sitting long periods of time (may be flat spots)?
Although, have you had the tires traditionally balanced? I had a set of Nittos that were road force balanced by Discount Tire and had a shaking problem. I took them to my local speed shop, and after they were balanced traditionally they were smooth as glass.

Red Gt 12/12/15 11:36 AM

Same problem here, replaced the stock Pirelli with some new ones Pirelli P7.When the car sits for a while or for a day then it has flat spots on all four tires.When driving it for 5 to 10 miles they are good.235/55/17 with stock wheels.

Red GT

GottaHaveIt 12/12/15 02:27 PM

Have you checked you upper & lower control arms for any joint wear? I have an 07 & had to do my lowers this July. Pirelli blows with our weather hear all year round I went with Michelin AS-3 Piolt Sport for my factory rims and for my staggers set. The traction on a wet surface is unbelievable and talk about being able to take a high speed turn without even sliding 😋😋😋

GottaHaveIt 12/12/15 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Love these tires

GottaHaveIt 12/12/15 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bullitts away for winter we never have snow but

Cavero 12/13/15 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Red Gt (Post 6957681)
Same problem here, replaced the stock Pirelli with some new ones Pirelli P7.When the car sits for a while or for a day then it has flat spots on all four tires.When driving it for 5 to 10 miles they are good.235/55/17 with stock wheels.

Red GT

That's a great point-- any signs of cupping or uneven treadwear?

Red Gt 12/13/15 07:26 AM

No cupping and normal treadwear,just bounces when cold.

Red GT

roger blose 12/14/15 08:20 AM

I purchased the Michelin Pilots AS 3s late last week and they have transformed my car. No more highway vibration, sharp steering turn in, different ride quality, more road noise, stiff side walls which give a slightly harsher ride, and great looking sidewall style. And the $70 dollar rebate was a nice surprise.