Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/21, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help.

My 07 gt has acted weird since the week I put a popcorn tune on( dumps excess fuel into cylinders to pop). Bad mistake anyways, it’s carrying on like it’s got a miss I’ve tried retuning but still pops. It lunges if your just cruising 45-55MPH an sounds like it has a bad miss. E3 plugs and MSD blaster coil packs aren’t even a month old. Just installed a JLT oil separator and seemed to have some metallic flake in the bottom any help of where to begin my search in this haystack?

Here’s the bottom of my oil separator. Not many performance mods done to this car it’s a 2007 gt with 115k miles, oil changed every 2,500 miles with motorcraft full synthetic 5W-20 and FL-820S motorcraft oil filter.
Old 8/25/21, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
I believe this was posted on another thread. First it's always easier to keep it posted on one thread so none gets confused or trying to answer on multiple threads. Second there is some sort of internal issue. Obviously. When you change the oil does it have the same thing in the oil & oil filter? Let's start there. Also if you run a magnet through the oil in the separator does it pick it up.
Old 8/25/21, 08:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
That other thread is the one that needs abandoning, as that's not even the topic. This one is the right one.

Welcome aboard!

That glitter is definitely not good. If it's just floating around in the *air*... which is what that catch can is doing, allowing suspended oil and other stuff in the crankcase air venting to fall out of the air before it goes back into the intake... that means it's everywhere. That popcorn tune with the extra fuel might have caused the cylinders to get washed and what you're seeing is the rings eating the cylinders due to oil starvation. There's also the possibility that the gas got past the cylinders and into the oil itself after all the washing and caused the oil to be too thin, and that ate some bearing material on the crank or maybe the head pedestals and caps.

I'd be taking the oil out and having a gander, maybe sending it to blackstone, and maybe even cutting the oil filter top off and having a look at the media. You'll need a tool for that, hacksaw won't work as that'll just add metal. Gotta get an oil filter cutting tool.

As far as its running wrong now... well, yeah. Sounds like the compression's messed up from the washing out too. You might wanna do a compression test. Heck, it might be bent valves or rods because fuel doesn't compress and if there's waay to much of it...

It ain't good, is what I'm sayin. I'm hopin' I'm bein' overly dramatic, but yeah. Sounds way not right to me all 'round.

PSA, soapbox and a warning: Friends, this kind of thing is definitely a bad idea. Yeah, it's cool and all to hear those exhaust pops... but you can do that with a proper system to spray downwind of the cats and spark it off, thereby just makin' noise not ruin things like engines and catalytic converters. Yes, catalytic converters. Having too much fuel so you get that popping means there's fuel in the cats and that's going to mean melted cats. Nasty tune idea. Just... I get it, cold pops are so cool sounding but yeah. Not the greatest idea someone came up with to do it 24-7. Oh well.

Aaanddd.... if the cats DID melt... there's your problem with performance. Thing can't breathe right.

Man. Nasty situation. I sincerely hope it's not nearly as traumatic as I'm thinkin' about from *waaayyyyy* over here. Hope that helps anyway. I wish you luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by houtex:
Gary-S197 (8/25/21), Jaryd21 (8/27/21)