The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair and Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/)
-   -   Key FOB not working (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/key-fob-not-working-473985/)

Rampant 10/24/08 04:30 PM

Key FOB not working

Even though I usually change my own oil, I took it to a mechanic because I was low on time (yeah, I know, lesson learned). Anyway, now nothing on the key FOB will work. Not only that, the door locks won't work when putting the key in the door (I can lock/unlock only the driver side).

Interestingly, they door locks work fine when using the inside switch. And everything else seems to be OK (drove home fine, radio works, etc.)

Any ideas as to what happened or how to fix it?
(and no, my door lock fluid isn't low :-D)

Thanks.

05stangkc 10/24/08 04:36 PM

Check the Battery in the Transmitter??

Rampant 10/24/08 04:37 PM

I am about to do that, but the fact that the key doesn't work in the door is what got me. Also, the fact that it happened right after the service.

05stangkc 10/24/08 04:40 PM

Might Also Try Disconnecting the Car Battery For About 10 min and Then Check it out.

Kc

Rampant 10/24/08 05:47 PM

Update: neither has worked yet (disconnected battery, and replaced FOB battery).

Thanks for the suggestions though.

karman 10/24/08 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rampant (Post 5665024)
I am about to do that, but the fact that the key doesn't work in the door is what got me. Also, the fact that it happened right after the service.

It always did that. You are used to using the fob.

Originally Posted by Rampant (Post 5665085)
Update: neither has worked yet (disconnected battery, and replaced FOB battery).

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Now you can read the manual on how to reprogram the fobs.

05fordgt 10/24/08 09:59 PM

Hey Rampart, you may just have to re-program the remotes. Its REAL simple. Here's what you do:

1. Get in car, and shut doors.
2. Have BOTH remotes with you.
3. Put key in ingition
4. Cycle key from OFF position to ON position (but don't start the car, just ON position) 8 times within 10 seconds, with the 8th time ending with the key in the ON position
5. When you do this correctly, the locks will cycle (lock and unlock). This signifies your in "program mode"
6. Once they cycle, push the lock button on Remote #1, then lock button on Remote #2 (and do the same for any more subsequent remotes)
7. Turn key back to OFF position (locks will cycle one last time, to signify leaving "program mode"
8. DONE! Try each remote. They should work like champs!.

Hope this helps bud. :nice:

Rampant 10/25/08 09:11 AM

Thanks a lot for the help.
Too bad I only got one key from the dealer.

I will go have them fix it.

Thanks again.

karman 10/25/08 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rampant (Post 5665491)
Thanks a lot for the help.
Too bad I only got one key from the dealer.

I will go have them fix it.

Thanks again.

If you read the manual (or Jeff's nice instructions) you will see it only takes one key.
If all you have is 1 key and 1 remote you should still be able to re-program.

Rampant 10/26/08 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by karman (Post 5665535)
If you read the manual (or Jeff's nice instructions) you will see it only takes one key.
If all you have is 1 key and 1 remote you should still be able to re-program.

It worked perfectly -- thanks everyone!

For some reason, I thought I had to have two. Can you get a new key FOB and program it the same way?

Thanks again. It was so frustrating without the FOB :D

karman 10/27/08 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rampant (Post 5665977)
It worked perfectly -- thanks everyone!

For some reason, I thought I had to have two. Can you get a new key FOB and program it the same way?

Thanks again. It was so frustrating without the FOB :D

Yup.
"6. Once they cycle, push the lock button on Remote #1, then lock button on Remote #2 (and do the same for any more subsequent remotes)"

GottaHaveIt 10/29/08 09:36 AM

hum maybe fobs were swapped ? and yup have to do all fobs @ the same time.