Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Horn Button issue

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/05, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Horn Button issue

Help! And yes, I searched but there wasn't anything for a problem with the horn button.

I picked up my '05 Mustang GT October 29, 2004. I now have a problem with my "pony and bar symbol" on the horn button looking pitted. I took it in to the local Ford dealer and they told me that they weren't going to replace it, and asked why I had used on it. I didn't purchase the car at the local dealership (because they wouldn't take my order at all last June), so they suggested that maybe the dealer I ordered it through used something on it that caused the pitting; or that I take it back to them. :bang:

I am furious! First of all, I have only used a microfiber towel on it, never sprayed anything at all it the steering wheel.

I use Mother's Gold professional line of products and any product I use on my car I spray it on the cloth then wipe on. The only products used on the interior have been Mother's Detail Spray and the Leather Conditioner.

IMO, the only way anything would be able to get inside that horn button, is if there is a breach in the seal -- which should be a material defect. At any rate, they tell me that the entire steering wheel including airbag assembly would have to be replaced and they aren't going to do it. Apparently, the cost would be $1,000.

And the whole idea that I would have to take it back to the dealer I ordered it from (2 hours away), is ludicrous! You mean to tell me that if I move to another state, (which is a most likely scenario), that I won't be able to have any warranty repairs done on my car without shipping the car back to the original dealer?! If that is the case, something is very wrong with Ford and its no wonder they have problems.

Anyone have any suggestions? Am I going to have to shell out the $1,000 to not look at this problem that I didn't create? Sorry for the long post.

Elizabeth
Old 10/14/05, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should not have to take to another dealer, that's a load of crap.

As for the problem, that seems odd, maybe the clear plastic they used let's the UV light through, and therefore has pitted the surface? Maybe we should all be using some wax on them, as I wax my plastic headlamps / tail-lights.

Is it possible you could post a picture of your issue ?

As for the entire steering wheel, I would question that since you see IUP steering wheels on ebay, and they don't come with the cover, so it must be a seperate piece!
Old 10/14/05, 12:06 PM
GT Member

I also have the same thing on my horn button and no idea how it happened. Except i noticed it not long after purchasing the vehicle and thought that maybe it came that way and i just didn't notice it right away. Haven't had time to take back to the dealer which is 2.5hrs away.
Old 10/14/05, 12:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thats funny, I just noticed this same thing this morning. It looks like the silver has rubbed off/out too. I wonder if it was from the dealer that had the inside of my car scrubbed down. There was so much armor all crap that i slipped out of the seat-wonder if they sprayed the steering wheel.
Old 10/14/05, 01:11 PM

i have the same problem with mine. i noticed last week when i was cleaning the inside of my car. I went down to clean that and was like WOAH. i am now wondering how long it has been there since i got my car on december 21st, 2004. i don't know wether to take it in to the dealer or just ignore it?
Old 10/14/05, 02:14 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,748 Likes on 2,035 Posts
I have heard this ISSUE from Other Mustang Owners and I will Attempt to Get Some Answers. Hang TighT

kc
Old 10/14/05, 02:19 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you using your horn a lot?

Maybe ur too horny
Old 10/14/05, 02:41 PM

Can I get some GOOD Pics of the Concern from 4 or 5 that are experiencing this Concerm. It will be a BOOGER to get a Good pic I realize, but it would be helpful.

kc
Old 10/14/05, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Kevin,

I'll try to get a pic with my camera phone. I don't have a digital camera.

Thanks Buddy!
Old 10/14/05, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Here you guys go. Hopefully, this will work

[attachmentid=36203]

[attachmentid=36204]
Old 10/14/05, 04:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05stangkc@October 14, 2005, 2:44 PM
Can I get some GOOD Pics of the Concern from 4 or 5 that are experiencing this Concerm. It will be a BOOGER to get a Good pic I realize, but it would be helpful.

kc
[attachmentid=36205] cant see the places in the black but the silver area on the horse came out.
Old 10/14/05, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't believe the black is pitted on mine. It is only on the horse and bar. You can't feel the pits, it is underneath the clear cover or coating.

I hope they determine this is a TSB and fix the problem! This is most irritating - I have to look at this constantly!
Old 10/16/05, 09:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by uofh2005@October 14, 2005, 7:01 PM
[attachmentid=36205] cant see the places in the black but the silver area on the horse came out.

WOW that bites, I wonder what caused this! It almost looks like the material they used for the "plastic chrome" is reacting with the surrounding clear plastic. :scratch:
Old 10/16/05, 09:24 PM
GT Member

The entire steering wheel would not need to be replaced, the dealer is wrong only the airbag which is not cheap. The airbag logo is heated steaked, so the logo can not be replaced separately.

P.S. the logo is AL.
Old 10/17/05, 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had a dent in mine the day I picked the car up (Aug 25th). I pointed it out, and they placed one on order for me. It has yet to come in.
Old 10/20/05, 07:11 AM

UPDATE.

I checked on This Type of Warranty Concern. There is a Reason your Local Dealer refferred you to the Selling Dealer. This Type of Concern is Supposed to be caught when the Vehicle is Recieved at the Selling Dealer.I can see where it would be easy to miss. If your Local Dealer does the repair it will count against him on his Warranty Stats. After a certain Point if too many of these type Claims are Done they can be put on Warranty audit. What that means is every time they have a Warranty Repair they have to call Ford and get permission to do a repair or they do not get paid for that repair.That Really Slows Productivity. The Selling Dealer has a Better Position to get Paid for this Type of COSMETIC Repair and not get Dinged. I would Suggest you Contact Your Selling Dealer and explain the Situation and see if they can Streamline the Process by having a Part Ordered and Ready for You. This would Minimize the Inconvienence for you Somewhat. I wish I had a Better answer for you but This is how the Process works to the best of my Knowledge. Now if your Airbag Light was On it would be a Different Story,

KC

Remember, This Applies to a Certain Type Of Cosmetic Flaw! Your Warranty is Good at any Ford Dealer.But in Certain Scenarios The Selling Dealer has Greater Resources Available to help you in a Bind.
Old 10/20/05, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

This problem did not surface until over the summer - 6-9 months after I took delivery of the car. And what about people that move out of state? They have to arrange to drive back to the dealer where they purchased the car to get this taken care of? That is insane!
Old 10/20/05, 09:09 AM

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=22896&hl=

This Is the Procedure to get your Concerns Resolved. If you follow it in order you will most likely get what you need. BTW I am Still checking to see if there are Any Manufacturing Issues on this Component.

kc
Old 10/20/05, 09:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

what exactly is the issue? mine looks normal to me.
Old 10/20/05, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine was built in mid-April 05. Looks fine to me.

BREAK - - -

Kevin - How's my "Xmas List" for the F-150 going?

Tom

Quick Reply: Horn Button issue