Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Grinding in Second Gear

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/07, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding in Second Gear

Ok so I have determined that the car needs to go in to have the transmission fixed due to the massive grind in second gear when shifting above 4500 RPM, and on the down shift in high rpm.

My question is; Is is necessary to remove all my mods from the car and take it back to stock? I know I will need to put my factory shifter back in, but other than that I am not sure. I have UDP's, Off road H, C&L CAI with brenspeed tunes, and 410 gears. Obviously the gears have to stay in but what is the protocol on the other items???
Old 5/28/07, 07:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know. Do you think they will be able to tell that you ruined your second gear because of the way you abused it?
Old 5/28/07, 10:49 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
heheh- I'm in the same boat here-powershifting apparently damaged 2nd synchro...guys at work are giving me a hard time about it- say I should take it in under warranty, but I say if I abused it/tore it up, I should fix it, not Ford...then they argue'why did it ever grind the first time?' as maybe the synchro was not quite right when new...but my guess is its just a little small for the abuse, 3rd barks just fine, no issues...who knows...I'm thinking of getting a spare from newtakeoffs.com for 800 bucks, then have this one beefed up a bit.
In the short term I added royal purple ATF, gotta say that stuff does seem to help- third is silky smooth, 2nd a *little* better, but still, not great...I can shift up to about 5k, but above that, the shifter either feels like it hits a solid stop(then goes right in at <5k) or grinds slightly just as it engages...whatever next tranny or fix is, definitely going with the royal purple ATF from now on- I'm sold...perhaps if I had put it in sooner the problem never would have came up at all...
Old 7/11/08, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

my 2nd gear synchro is grinding into gear too. happened after a good 1st thru 3rd burn out. oh well. i took it in, complete w/ CAI, tune, and axlebacks, and they said it was a TSB for the 1-2 shift synchro. they didn't have any qualms (so far, knock on wood) and scheduled me for next week.
Old 7/11/08, 11:55 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
heheh- I'm in the same boat here-powershifting apparently damaged 2nd synchro...guys at work are giving me a hard time about it- say I should take it in under warranty, but I say if I abused it/tore it up, I should fix it, not Ford...then they argue'why did it ever grind the first time?' as maybe the synchro was not quite right when new...but my guess is its just a little small for the abuse, 3rd barks just fine, no issues...who knows...I'm thinking of getting a spare from newtakeoffs.com for 800 bucks, then have this one beefed up a bit.
In the short term I added royal purple ATF, gotta say that stuff does seem to help- third is silky smooth, 2nd a *little* better, but still, not great...I can shift up to about 5k, but above that, the shifter either feels like it hits a solid stop(then goes right in at <5k) or grinds slightly just as it engages...whatever next tranny or fix is, definitely going with the royal purple ATF from now on- I'm sold...perhaps if I had put it in sooner the problem never would have came up at all...
Can you post a link for exactly what you put in. I assume there's only one Royal Purple ATF formula?
Old 7/11/08, 12:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

This may not be relevant to your situation but there is a TSB for some 05's regarding Grinding/Growling in the tranny. I had the problem around 6K
Old 7/11/08, 11:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
set tune to factory I'd take off CAI & put stock back 10 min tops right just incase they refash ECM anr record stategy number so when you get it back read stategy if not match don't touch or try to upload a tune.
Old 7/21/08, 09:24 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Can you post a link for exactly what you put in. I assume there's only one Royal Purple ATF formula?
John, they call it 'synchromax ATF' went up to summit and picked it up...you going back to '42 this summer?
Old 7/21/08, 09:28 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
John, they call it 'synchromax ATF' went up to summit and picked it up...you going back to '42 this summer?
I blew over 1/2 tank of gas just going up and out there last time. I don't know that I can afford it right now. I'm itching to go, hopefully I'll be able to. With the tight budget, I can't justify burning money right now.

Edit: With the tight budget, I can't justify burning money to my wife right now.