Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Got a clunker...

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/07, 05:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking my car in for the second time for this clunking problem, had them look into it at my first 5,000 miles inspection. They said they had to replace the passenger side front strut. It seemed to fix the problem since the noise was gone. After 500 miles, it was back but not as bad as before , only heard a few times , very seldom. Now , after another 500 miles, it's so bad that I just stopped driving it . Before, I would hear it when I hit a bump or a small pothole, and it didn't do it every time. But now , its constantly clunking no matter how smooth the road is and this time it sounds like if it had really worn out ball joints. I had my brother go for a ride with me to show him how loud it was , he said he can feel the vibration even in the floor boards. My '87 Blazer has 188,000 miles on it and it doesnt even squeak going over bumps! I really love this car but this whole situation is really taking the fun out of it. I really hope Ford is doing something about this and FAST! They're always talking about making 'BOLD MOVES' . Well ,how about this for an idea? How about getting the job right the FIRST time?
Old 4/24/07, 04:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No noise on my 06, no noise on my 07
Old 4/25/07, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Got my car back today from the dealer , they took it for a test drive and they instantly admitted that there was something very very wrong with my car. They said that they've heard other Mustangs that had some noise but they never came across anything that made that much noise as mine did. They set it on a lift and they found that BOTH sway bar end links were just hanging there, bolted to nothing, nowhere near the struts. They went ahead and installed 2 brand new links and double checked the rear suspension and the exhasut system too. Now, I'm glad to say, that the noise is completely gone and my steering is much more responsive too. Guess I got lucky this time,only time will tell.
Old 4/25/07, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

just a quick note

THE S 197 HAS NO SOUND DEADENING INSULATION AT ALL

THE FT SUBFRAME HARD MOUNTS TO THE UNIBODY( NO BUSHINGS )

THE CAR IS A RATTLE TRAP AND MY DASH SOUNDS LIKE ITS FULL OF MARBLES

This woul be 3 of the reasons that they offer 500 and 1000 watt soundsystems in this car

SO WE CAN CRANK UP THE TUNES AND DROWNED OUT THE NOISE

LOL, man I love this car!!!

Jay
Old 4/26/07, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

OK, just another clunk story here.
I received the car in mid Jan and immediately within 50 miles had the good old US of A clunk sound from our beloved Mustang GT. Commented it as a complaint to my dealer when it when in for first oil change, they returned a finding of "its the nature of the beast, nothing to be done". I'm again reminded that I'm glad to be surfing the forums, as clearly I will know before they do that there is a fix out there (if it ever happens).

By the way, I did install the single-arm Strange Development STB 2 weeks ago and after about 500 miles so far, the clunking has still been much much reduced, maybe even eliminated since that addition. So, if you haven't tried an STB yet, you might try it (and they look cool anyhow), while waiting for a more thorough fix from Ford.