Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Anyone have a water sloshing sound in their GT coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/08, 09:58 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have a water sloshing sound in their GT coupe?

When I drive with the radio off and all the windows up I can hear a sound like water sloshing around under moderate acceleration and braking it sounds like its coming from the rear of the car. I've never noticed it before I checked the trunk and all the drain holes around the car and they're all cleared out so i can't imagine the car retaining any water. Anybody else hear this sound?
Old 9/26/08, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Might be your gas tank. Fill it, and see if you still hear it.
Old 9/26/08, 10:11 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stangster
Might be your gas tank. Fill it, and see if you still hear it.
I was thinking it could be the fuel but I never really noticed the sound before until about a week ago so I was wondering if anyone else noticed it in their cars.
Old 9/26/08, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Never noticed it in mine. You don't have a bottle of washe fluid or antifreeze behind your seat do you?

I always forget about my baseball bat in the trunk. I try to keep it in its bag, but sometimes after the batting cages, I get lazy, and throw it in the trunk. So I hear thuds every now and then, but I think they are from the car, then realize what it is.
Old 9/26/08, 01:04 PM

You very well may have the front cowl drains clogged with crud and what you hear is the water in the cowl sloshing back and forth. If so it will eventually get your cabin air filter wet (moldy / musty) and then it will enter the car and your front floors will get wet. Many of the leaks we hear about in our Mustangs come from leaves, pine needles and other stuff getting in the cowl area and clogging the drains.

To check it out, open the hood and on the passenger side look at the firewall where it goes back under towards the interior. There will be a soft flexible rubber grommet / drain hanging down with a slit opening in the bottom. Take your finger and see if it is open and draining properly. If it is clogged, take the plastic cowl cover off (like you were changing the cabin air filter) and clean the area out real good. While you are in there check the filter and change it if needed.

It's a good preventative maintenance item to check this area every six months or so.
Old 9/26/08, 02:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RedFire4.6
When I drive with the radio off and all the windows up I can hear a sound like water sloshing around under moderate acceleration and braking it sounds like its coming from the rear of the car. I've never noticed it before I checked the trunk and all the drain holes around the car and they're all cleared out so i can't imagine the car retaining any water. Anybody else hear this sound?
I hear the same sloshing noise from the rear of m 07 GT when I fold down my rear seats and take out the trunk liner (and jack and spare) for track days. I'm 100% certain the noise is gasoline sloshing around in the fuel tank.
Old 9/26/08, 03:56 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
if its coming from the rear of the car, it's definately fuel sloshing around
Old 9/26/08, 04:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
I had water in sitting in my rear quarters awhile back. It turns out the drain from my convertible top was bent or creased. They also redid the undercoating in the rear wheel tubs. Stick your fingers down inside of your rear quarters to see if there is any water or if its damp. If not all should be good. One of my rear quarters at one time had a half gallon of water in it. Just check incase.
Alls well now.
Old 9/28/08, 05:03 PM

I'm gonna also say it's probably fuel sloshing around in your gas tank. I drove around without my rear seats one day and I could hear the sloshing very loudly.
Old 10/18/11, 08:06 PM

I hear sloshing in the back of my 07 convertible. Does anybody think it could be something else besides the gas tank?
Old 10/19/11, 07:30 AM

Sloshing Sound

I just notice a sloshing sound coming from the back of my 2010 Mustang coupe. I've never heard this sound before and have been asking myself the same questions (fuel, liquid in trunk etc.). I think if it was fuel I would have heard it before. I'm thinking its a clogged drain. I'll be checking that out when i have the time. Let me know if anyone has any other ideas. Thanks.
Old 10/19/11, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
I'm gonna also say it's probably fuel sloshing around in your gas tank. I drove around without my rear seats one day and I could hear the sloshing very loudly.
I noticed this yesterday after removing my rear seat as well. Def the gas tank.
Old 10/19/11, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe it's the heater core.
Old 10/19/11, 10:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My bet is the saddle fuel tanks, sitting on them now instead of them being all the way in the back...
Old 10/20/11, 06:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

The fuel tanks have baffles which prevent the fuel from sloshing around. I doubt it is the fuel tank. I would look for water accumulated in the rear fender, doors, or cowl area etc.
Old 10/20/11, 09:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They have baffles but you can still hear the fluid sloshing from the back seat but since I have Borlas on now never hear it anymore....
Old 10/21/11, 07:01 AM
V6 Member

i experience this after i wash the car, then the next morn/day there will be a puddle on the garage floor just behind the rear wheel
Old 10/21/11, 12:58 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by buster58
I hear sloshing in the back of my 07 convertible.
Originally Posted by capecodm
I just notice a sloshing sound coming from the back of my 2010 Mustang coupe.
Originally Posted by luzstang
i experience this after i wash the car, then the next morn/day there will be a puddle on the garage floor just behind the rear wheel
Hi guys,

Welcome to the forum. My name is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis. You can then PM me with your VIN, dealer, contact info, and current mileage so I can check for recalls, warranty, and customer satisfaction programs, and see how I can help. Have a good one!

Deysha
Old 10/21/11, 04:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I dont know if all the problems are the same, but I reinstalled my seat and rear panels last night and dont hear it anymore.
Old 11/15/21, 09:32 AM

2019 GT

Sorry to revive this thread, yet it was the first one that appeared when doing a Google search for "water sloshing around on passenger side."

Same issue here. Just had a week of heavy rain and TONS of standing water was found on the passenger side.

So, I bought the car fron the previous owner that removed subwoofers from the trunk, yet left all the wiring. There was a large positive wire leading from where the woofers were to the battery that led straight through the firewall on the passenger side. The previous owner had removed a large rubber grommet that allowed wires to pass through the firewall without allowing water access into the cab. You have to remove the battery and battery holding case to gain access to the area. Inside the cab on the passenger side near where the feet would go, you simply remove a fuse cover on the right side and then you can pull up the carpet to gain access from the inside to pull through the wire and reinstall the rubber grommet.

I hope this helps anyone with aftermarket subs Installed in their vehicle.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a water sloshing sound in their GT coupe?