Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Advice Needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/07, 11:27 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Needed!!!

My 05 V6 Convertible has been in the shop off and on since March 8....in fact I have only had it on the road a total of 10 days in that time. Originally I brought it in because of the hesitation problem and the transmission didn't always want to shift from 1st to 2nd.....also my vert top wasn't closing correctly. The dealer put in a new fuel pump but could not duplicate the transmission problem (seems to happen regularly when I am driving it though...hmmm) the body shop handled the top problem. They said that instead of replacing the side rails per the TSB they could adjust it. Well a week later I got a call and they said it was ready. I show up and low and behold...they adjusted my top and also put a nice tear in it...when I brought it to their attention they said they would have to order a new top but it might take a week for it to get in. I took my car and later that day I tested their adjustment on the top.....it didn't work. When the new top was in I told them the top was closing worse than before and I brought in a copy of the TSB....the shop manager didn't think you could just replace the side rails until I showed him the TSB. I suggested that since they are replacing the top they might want to replace the rails at the same time....no can do....they had to see what they found once the top was off then make a decision. Well a week later they called to tell me that it was ready. When I showed up to pick my car up the manager met me and told me that the top still wasn't closing correctly and that he was going to run another test to see if their was a motor problem. 4 days later they informed me they had to replace the side rails. finally on Apr 12 I get my car. The top closed correctly, and all seemed good. Today after openning the top for only the 4th time since then, I noticed a tear in the fabric behind the rear seats...It looks like it got caught on the top as it was closing and tore (this is the fabric in the well behind the seats where the top rests when opened). Also as I was driving I decided to roll the rear window up to try and cut down on wind and I heard a metal on glass scraping noise. The drivers window caught the rear window forward weather seal and tore it. The metal under the seal was now scraping the drivers window glass. These two windows were adjusted by the dealer because they were not closing correctly.

Now if your still with me......lol, I am looking at taking my car back to the shop for the 5th or 6th time in the last 2 months. The top closes the way it should but obviously isn't right or it wouldn't have torn that fabric, also since they adjusted the windows now I have a problem with the weather stripping which will need to be replaced. Plus I am still having problems with the transmission. Should I be looking at lemon law processes? The car was purchased new on Nov 29, 06 so I am in that time frame.
Old 4/21/07, 09:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Since it seems that the dealer service dept does not know what they are doing, you need to deal directly with Ford. Usually they have representatives that travel to the dealerships to hear about problems like this. Contact Ford directly and make an appointment to talk to them, not to your dealer. I think there is a phone number in our owners manual about things like this. Or maybe online on their website. Although I would want to talk to a person directly. Good luck, I'm sure Ford would want to solve your problem. They don't like bad word of mouth advertising!
Old 4/21/07, 09:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine wasn't a vert, but I had had-it with the down time on my 05. I don't think you a lemon law issue though. Sounds more just like serive screw-ups. Going to the Regional rep seems to be the right avenue though, they'll look it over and advise the servicing dealer as to what to do.

As for me, I new exactly what to do. I'm driving an 07 now!!
Old 4/21/07, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the car to another dealer and see if they can resolve the problems you're having w/ your car.
--------------------------
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've been wanting to ask this question for a while-
Why do people want to get rid of there 05's and get a new one?
I can understand people that have multiple problems w/ the car wanting a new one, or those that had their cars totalled...but for people w/ cars that have had no problems why make the change?

I've had my 05 since December 04 and have no plans to trade/sell the car anytime soon.
The only time I thought (for a few seconds) about trading for a new car was when I saw an 07 'vert in Vista Blue (I have a Sonic Blue Coupe), but decided to keep my 05.
Just curious as to why people are making the change from an 05 to a newer model. After all it's basically the same car inside and out w/ a few added options, nothing that would make me trade my car in.
The way I see it, it would be cheaper to add the newer features available in the newer Mustangs to my 05 then trade my car in for a new car.
Old 4/21/07, 03:01 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, I would prefer to keep my 05, I spent to much money on setting it up just like I want it...but on the other hand why have a car if you can't drive it....my only thought right now is getting it fixed right, and if that can't be done then start looking at my other options.....like a hard top coupe.....
Old 4/21/07, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Norm1961
Honestly, I would prefer to keep my 05, I spent to much money on setting it up just like I want it...but on the other hand why have a car if you can't drive it....my only thought right now is getting it fixed right, and if that can't be done then start looking at my other options.....like a hard top coupe.....
I can understand that in your case (as well as everyone else that had multiple problems w/ their cars that the dealers can't seem to repair) wanting to get a new car (or those people that choose to move from a V-6 to a GT or to a Shelby GT500)
I'm sure that if you try other dealers you should be able to find a better one then the dealer you're using now.

When I posted the question 'why are people trading in their 05's for new cars' was based on the number of posts where people talk about getting newer Mustangs when nothing is wrong w/ their current car.
Old 4/21/07, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I think it might be wise to stay with the dealer until they fix it properly so they can't claim others are creating the problems. I'd find a different dealer after to do other issues. I don't know whether phoning Ford will help though.

I'll be phoning Ford shortly on my own issue with the climate control not supplying air flow to the floor in floor mode. I can just imagine how that's going to turn out.
Old 4/21/07, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lime GT
I think it might be wise to stay with the dealer until they fix it properly so they can't claim others are creating the problems. I'd find a different dealer after to do other issues. I don't know whether phoning Ford will help though.

I'll be phoning Ford shortly on my own issue with the climate control not supplying air flow to the floor in floor mode. I can just imagine how that's going to turn out.
If things like this happened to my car while at the dealer for warrenty work...(torn top, torn fabric in area where top rests when lowered, and windows scraping against each other damaging the weather seal) I would NEVER go back to that dealer in fear of them causing MORE damage to my car. I would go to another dealer and tell them about what the first dealer did and ask for there help in fixing my car.
Old 4/21/07, 11:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
[quote=Mike McRann;897833]Why do people want to get rid of there 05's and get a new one?
I can understand people that have multiple problems w/ the car wanting a new one, or those that had their cars totalled...but for people w/ cars that have had no problems why make the change?

quote]

I don't want to get rid of my 05, but I was sure ****ed off when my dealer told me I would have to call Ford to address my heater problem. They basically said, oh well, call Ford, we can't do anything, although we acknowledge you have a valid complaint, because Ford won't authorize it. I live 460 miles from Ford's cold weather test facility, in Thompson, Mb. and the dealers sell me a car that can't warm your feet without burning your face. Go figure! Isn't it amazing how the dealers have no problem selling Ford's product line but then easily divorce themselves from it when troubles occur.

Anyways, to get back to Norm's problem. I'd have to make sure the next dealer could do a better job before I'd change. However, it is under warranty so it should minimize problems, if they try playing each other against themselves, if troubles arise.