Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2005-2009 Ford Mustang How To Updated Motorcraft Blower Motor.

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/20, 07:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 668 Likes on 542 Posts

Yeah, sorta clickbait, but hey, what ya gonna do. Gotta get them clicks, likes, subscribes, and notifications, right?

This won't be 'long', in that it's gonna just be the one post and done. 'Cause I already did it. But I gotta just a teensy bit: REALLY FORD?!?

---

My blower motor was done. Hadda start hitting it to get it to run. It's the original and went 14 years before it started to stop working randomly, and I having to beat on it to get it turning again. I figure that's a good enough run, so one order of a gen-u-ine Motorcraft correctly called for blower motor for my S197 happened, and today it got here. Yay! I'd had to beat on the fan twice today. Simple thing, just go to the passenger side, find the motor, *WHAM*, and yay, it's working. Obviously a bad winding or something, and it did sound a little 'grrrr'-y lately, which is it sorta doing a skip as it runs over that dead spot.

So anyway, the swap itself was no big deal. The old one comes out by disconnecting the one connector with the two wires, and then three bolts (8mm) came right on out, and it flops out in your hand. The new one comes complete, no swapping of SQUIRREL!!! cage needed. Looks the same... Three bolts go back in, and Bob's your cousin's brother's roommate from college's friend from 10 years ago or so! Done!

...except no, not really. I go to plug it up... whut.

No, I mean *whut*.

Ford has changed the connector. Instead of two 'parallel' connectors, they're now two 'in line' connectors. Sure, both spade receivers, but... why. Just... why. Thankfully, the new blower motor comes with the fix: A pigtail, butt splices, and shrink wrap. I'm just... I mean, a literal 10 minute swap just turned into 40-60 minutes, or more, depending on my... your... whoever's... skill level. And desire to be attentive to detail and all that too. I had seen the sheet, but for some reason said to myself 'self, dat's nuthin', git dat motar swapped.' I should have read it better.

So... I think about it a second, and get an idea! I decide I'm going to get some spades and stuff them in the current harness connector, and make the new pigtail work that way! I'm a genius!

And then I'm just Because the spades I have, standard ones you get just about anywhere... are too wide. By about 3mm maybe. Can't do my cool trick to save the harness. So... Either I go hunting for a correct connector blower, hoping I can find it, and it be something other than gen-u-ine Ford, which I'm not into for this... or I cut my harness for the *very first time* on this car and do the splice so I can get a working blower motor right now.

It's hot. In SE Texas. Pour me in a bucket with this humid.

So yes, I did the splice. It hurt. I really REALLY didn't wanna do it. But... I did it the very best, real pro, see the pictures. Pretty proud of it. I'm guessing they did this for the 10s and up, because the instructions very specific regarding do this for the '2005-2009 Mustang'. Like, this motor came with ONLY this car instruction. Not an F150 or whatever, just '05-09 Mustangs.

Before I taped it back up, though, I did the test. IT WORKS! So I finished the job up with the 3M cotton friction tape (I like it better than regular 3M electric tape for more hidden stuff. I know it's sticky on both sides, and that could be an issue, but I know it won't come undone easily either, so... yeah, whatevers, I'm using it. Plus I had it there, so that was a factor... ), plugged it in, and tie wrapped the end of the tape just because, then tie wrapped the loop I left to the harness. It'll come off if needed, but I'm guessing maybe another 14-16 years?

I figured maybe y'all would want to know about this, because you may wind up needing a blower motor, and this is a silly sort of thing you have to go through, potentially, as they stoped supplying correct '05-09 blower motor, apparently. And I wouldn't bet that the other kinds besides Motorcraft will have the pigtail to fix it, and will in fact supply you a 10 and up S197 (and beyond?) Mustang one, so buyer beware out there!

Ok, as usual, pics below. Have a good one!
---

Before I start.... Sorry for the blurry in some of these. It was real awkward, hard to get the phone to focus too. I need a DSLR or something...

The specific to 2005-2009 Mustangs instruction sheet. The confusing part is that they swap the numbers on the plugs, but the *locations* are the same. Just... weird. Don't get it backwards.

The pigtail kit. Pigtail with connector, butt splices, and heat shrink.

I just... don't even get this. Whatever.

Pigtail, ready to splice.

Before untaping and snipping.

Nekkid wire. Here come the snippers...

... and my heart hurts just a little from that.

All spliced up, just before I burned the shrink on.

Taped up, ready to plug in and secure in place.

The finished job! Not too shabby, and i have extra cable should Ford change the connector again.

Last edited by houtex; 7/10/20 at 05:21 PM.
Old 7/26/20, 07:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When teacher forgots about the homework but some stupid kid asks Will you take our homeworks?
Old 7/26/20, 11:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, another guy postin' weird, non-related stuff...

I'm not sure you're gonna be around much longer, but hey, welcome to the forums! Been nice knowin' ya! Moooodddsss!!!
Old 7/26/20, 12:22 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,675 Posts
IMO! the guy who posted weird, non-related crap, broke an all time record for being on the forums in the shortest amount of time, as the person going by Rellgonald didn't even last a half a day after joining that ended up getting banned.
The following users liked this post:
houtex (7/26/20)
Old 7/26/20, 10:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You know what's weird? Both his posts followed one of mine.

Freakin' stalker.

m05fastbackGT (7/27/20)
Old 7/27/20, 10:01 AM

He also followed one of your posts on the "In the need of transmission rebuild advice" thread too.. So yes, he was most definitely a freakin stalker without a doubt
Old 11/18/20, 05:13 AM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread. But other than cutting the wire, was this easy to do? I'm assuming that adding the new plug in is just like wiring up a head unit? My blower motor is squeaking and I'd rather get a Motorcraft part.
Old 11/18/20, 11:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If you know how to do the head unit wiring so it plugs into the main harness without cutting the harness? Yeah, totally not a big deal. 3 bolts, that connector swap, done.

Of course, the problem is the time to get the soldering stuff around, get the harness stripped back, ensuring you don't reverse the wires, waiting for the iron to get hot to do the job, finding a way to make the heat shrink happen, taping it nice... all the details add up time wise.

Procedurally and physically speaking, though, a 1 out of 5 on the difficulty scale, ya ask me, if you know bolts and wiring in general. I'd call it a .5 actually, but we don't do non-whole numbers 'round here, y'know.

You can do it! Hope that helps!
kryptonTJM (11/19/20)
Old 9/11/23, 10:19 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,729 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Rellgonald
When teacher forgots about the homework but some stupid kid asks Will you take our homeworks?
That is What a Spammer Post Looks Like! He Was From Turkey and Was a Turkey! The Funny Thing Is He Came Back & Peeked in June of 23. Three Years after Getting Banned! Go Figure!

And Yet Again a Spammer Posting Right after Rocky! It's Either Him or Dave! Although Houtex in This Case as Well! They Like Bright Colored Cars I Guess!

HMMMMMMMMMMM

Oh And These Days We EMBRACE old Topics! It's Our Heritage!

@m05fastbackGT

KC
m05fastbackGT (9/11/23)
Old 9/11/23, 01:50 PM

Coincidence or Fate!

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
That is What a Spammer Post Looks Like! He Was From Turkey and Was a Turkey! The Funny Thing Is He Came Back & Peeked in June of 23. Three Years after Getting Banned! Go Figure!

And Yet Again a Spammer Posting Right after Rocky! It's Either Him or Dave! Although Houtex in This Case as Well! They Like Bright Colored Cars I Guess!

HMMMMMMMMMMM

Oh And These Days We EMBRACE old Topics! It's Our Heritage!

@m05fastbackGT

KC
It just may be a strange coincidence the spammer had a hard-on for bright colored cars, as you brought up Kevin lol.