Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

06 GT Hunting an Elusive Charging System Issue

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/23, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
06 GT Hunting an Elusive Charging System Issue

Hey all, driving an 06 GT with a hell of an issue.

Can't for the life of me figure out what is causing the "Check Charging System" Notification and the battery light appearing on my dash. So far I went through and replaced the battery, alternator (which I had already replaced once before in 2022), the positive and negative battery wiring harnesses, and about half of the fuses in both of the fuse boxes.

When the issue first started occurring, I would be driving my car down the road just fine and then suddenly my headlights/taillights/turn signals, dashboard lights, radio, power windows and seats, and power locks would shut off. and I'd basically be riding blind. The first time it happened it was at 11pm on a pitch dark road so that was a fun time to recover. Once I pulled off to a turn lane that was safe and shut my car off, it wouldn't turn over to start so I had to get towed home. I replaced the battery the following morning and my car would start up again fine, but then I entered the second stage of the issues, where my radio and power electronics would shut off while driving, and my dashboards needles would drop to 0, however my headlights would be fine and I could still drive using intuition and engine sound for my speed. This is also when my dashboard 12 volt power connector stopped working.

I figured since the alternator I had replaced the previous year was one from SR performance and not an "OEM" style alternator, that maybe there was some build quality error from it being aftermarket that was causing the failure, so I purchased a new, non-reman OEM style Alternator from Advance. After a quick alternator replacement, I entered the third stage of electrical issues, where I'd have the same problems as the second stage, minus the gauge cluster needles shutting off. This was when I started noticing the battery gauge fluttering between its normal spot at slightly above the middle, and rocketing up to max. The battery gauge would only have the fluctuations when the electrical system was malfunctioning, and would otherwise remain normal when my car wasn't manifesting an electronics demon. My tachometer would also occasionally misbehave from startup and report about 250-750 RPM less than what my engine was running at during this time.

Since that point, I went to go clean my battery terminals and saw that the mild corrosion was all the way at the cable, and that I should go about replacing the whole thing so I bought some Standard Electrical cable harnesses from O'Reilly and replaced them all, with a spritz of corrosion protectant on the terminals for good measure. During this time I also had replaced most of the mini fuses in both of the boxes, with only the relays and maxis still being the original ones. I had also noticed that the latch clip on my alternator connector was snapped, and that it wouldn't click into the alternator port on the back. It'd slide on tight and it does make the connection since I figure my car wouldn't run if it didn't, it just doesnt make the click noise and I can slide it off relatively easily if I'm pulling straight back. I'm not sure if engine vibration is enough to cause issues with it, but I have a connector sitting on my desk that I'm procrastinating going to solder in, it's the only next step I currently have planned. My car has reached a point to where I only get a battery light and a "Check Charging System" notification appearing 30 seconds after my car is turned on, but I don't face any of the electronic shenanigans of things randomly shutting off and cutting back on. My dashboard 12 volt power connector is still dead, have had to resort to using the center console one which I had recently discovered the existence of for my radio BT transmitter.

I'm hoping somebody here has encountered something similar and could tell me what random back corner part is failing and causing this litany of electrical issues. It's been a goose chase up to this point and I don't have a lot of money left to keep replacing random stuff. On the one hand it feels good having more headroom for future failures since the stuff is all new, but I'd rather have done it at a pace I could've afforded lol.

Thanks for any advice!

The videos below are of the original first night when my electronics first failed on me and my lights shut off (apologies for the shaking, It freaked me out being on that narrow of a road and not being able to see), and from the battery gauge issue I saw in stage three. You can also hear the startup beep happening mid video because thats when my car had an electrical fluctuation and had the power stuff shut off then cut back on
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Original Failure.MOV (704.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: mov
Stage Two-Three.MOV (6.06 MB, 13 views)
Old 9/10/23, 11:15 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,157 Likes on 2,311 Posts
2006 MUSTANG FACTORY SHOP MANUAL CHARGING SYSTEM

Hopefully These Will Help in Your Repair!

Mgb,

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2006 MustangCharging System.pdf (737.3 KB, 76 views)
2006Wiring2.pdf (231.1 KB, 32 views)
2006Wiring1.pdf (80.9 KB, 24 views)
The following users liked this post:
DriveLikeIStoleIt (9/10/23)
Old 9/10/23, 12:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Hopefully These Will Help in Your Repair!

Mgb,

KC
I really appreciate the service media! I've found it near impossible hunting for files like these and the repair points helps out a ton, thank you!
Old 9/10/23, 12:05 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,157 Likes on 2,311 Posts

You Are Welcome!

Hopefully Someone Has Had Similar Concerns and Found a Remedy!

A Charging System Issue Which May Have Some Related Help For You! See Link Doc's!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-issue-549445/

Mgb,

KC
The following users liked this post:
DriveLikeIStoleIt (9/10/23)