Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

1989 LX 5.0 For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/08, 10:27 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 LX 5.0 For Sale

I have no ties to this car, just saw it in the Big Cove Mini-Storage lot on 431 south before you get to Hampton Cove, and thought someone might be interested. Don't know if it is actually SSP, but listed as "Police Intercepter".

Since I don't know how to insert photos, email to jgferris@aol.com and I will send them to you.

Jim
Old 9/3/08, 11:28 AM
GT Member

To add images, use the "Go Advanced" posting option and click on the paperclip in the icons above the text box. Then, click the browse button and navigate through your computer to find the picture. Then click the upload button when you've added all your pictures.
Old 9/3/08, 03:39 PM
GT Member

Lets see if this works....
Attached Thumbnails 1989 LX 5.0 For Sale-img_1321.jpg   1989 LX 5.0 For Sale-img_1322.jpg   1989 LX 5.0 For Sale-img_1323.jpg  
Old 9/9/08, 11:56 AM
GT Member

I don't think that's a real cop car. Don't they have black painted wheels and missing door molding?
Old 9/9/08, 12:01 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on what state and stuff i would think, but that car is extremely clean looking! know if it was auto or standard?
Old 9/9/08, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

SSP Mustangs could be ordered several ways. With or without the door moldings, same with the blacked out 10 holes. They could also be auto or stick, I have even seen a few that were hatchbacks. Hard to tell from the pics, need to open the hood and look for greenish hoses. Better yet look at the door tag, it will say SSP on it if it is. Personally I have my doubts, people try to pass white cars off as SSPs all the time. Either from lack of knowledge or being just plain corrupt.
Old 9/9/08, 01:04 PM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigred15
SSP Mustangs could be ordered several ways. With or without the door moldings, same with the blacked out 10 holes. They could also be auto or stick, I have even seen a few that were hatchbacks. Hard to tell from the pics, need to open the hood and look for greenish hoses. Better yet look at the door tag, it will say SSP on it if it is. Personally I have my doubts, people try to pass white cars off as SSPs all the time. Either from lack of knowledge or being just plain corrupt.

Actually they all came with door moldings....if removed it was done by the agency. The black wheels were standard fare until early 1990 and at that time they all came in silver. It is true they came both in auto or stick. There were NO, NEVER, EVER SSP Hatchbacks....the ones you might see being used as police vehicles were seized more than likely....ONLY coupes were used for the SSP cars. The hoses referred above were blue in color, they had ground straps on the engine mounts, hood hinges, trunk hinges and mufflers. Some had an oil cooler, some did not. The door tag will never say "SSP"....the way to tell on a door tag is to look for the DSO which is a 4 digit number and can be decoded. There is also a buck tag on the core support that would show that it is an SSP car. On cars that original came from a state that did a fleet order and used a two tone paint like Florida, Georgia, Texas and California there will be 2 paint codes on the door data sticker as well.
Old 9/9/08, 03:47 PM
GT Member

FWIW I looked at the car and it's a legit SSP car from King County in Washington State. It's also an automatic car. 137,000 miles. Most SSP stuff still in place, very original car. What hurts the value is the auto and it has no pursuit history. When talking SSP cars 5sp and Highway cars are the most sought after.
Old 9/10/08, 05:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
Actually they all came with door moldings....if removed it was done by the agency. The black wheels were standard fare until early 1990 and at that time they all came in silver. It is true they came both in auto or stick. There were NO, NEVER, EVER SSP Hatchbacks....the ones you might see being used as police vehicles were seized more than likely....ONLY coupes were used for the SSP cars. The hoses referred above were blue in color, they had ground straps on the engine mounts, hood hinges, trunk hinges and mufflers. Some had an oil cooler, some did not. The door tag will never say "SSP"....the way to tell on a door tag is to look for the DSO which is a 4 digit number and can be decoded. There is also a buck tag on the core support that would show that it is an SSP car. On cars that original came from a state that did a fleet order and used a two tone paint like Florida, Georgia, Texas and California there will be 2 paint codes on the door data sticker as well.
I'm not sure about the door molding thing. I have read it in at least 2 books, but I am having trouble finding it on the internet. What you said about the hatch cars makes sense. I had thought blue hoses also, but when I said green, I may have been thinking about the service Impalas. (9C1 I believe)
Old 9/10/08, 06:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigred15
I may have been thinking about the service Impalas. (9C1 I believe)
I hope you're just thinking about them chasing you! Chevies SUCK!!! kennyg
Old 9/11/08, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

man i wish i had some $$$ i'd pick it up in a heartbeat.
Old 9/12/08, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

A Washing State Police Car could likely have some serious rust issues.......
Old 9/17/08, 08:34 PM
Cobra Member

"pursuit history?"
Old 9/18/08, 07:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LMan
"pursuit history?"
Yeah, I think that is like having tons of kills.
Old 9/18/08, 05:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Puter
Puters basically got it, meaning Highway Patrol car. Not all these cars were trooper cars. The most sought after cars are CHP, FHP and GHP.
Old 9/19/08, 07:25 AM
Service Manager

There are other agencies as well that used SSP Mustangs....Postal inspectors had them, wildlife and fish, Turnpike and toll police, etc, etc. There was even one that the Air Force had that they used to keep up with some of the faster planes.
Old 9/19/08, 01:55 PM
GT Member

SVOPAUL, man, I have to ask - where you keep all those wheels?
Old 9/19/08, 01:59 PM
Service Manager

Some at the shop, some at the house....that's the cars....you don't even want to know about the wheels and tires stacked around!
Old 9/19/08, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Puter
just for the record, how is 'pursuit history' documented in one of these second-hand purchases?

(as if it matters )
Old 9/19/08, 07:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LMan
just for the record, how is 'pursuit history' documented in one of these second-hand purchases?

(as if it matters )
This will answer all your questions....

http://www.sspmustang.org/

Quick Reply: 1989 LX 5.0 For Sale