I'm Thinking of Giving an S197 Mustang Bullitt a Shot - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

I'm Thinking of Giving an S197 Mustang Bullitt a Shot

Old 10/22/15, 03:29 PM   #1

I've never had the pleasure of driving a 2008/2009 Mustang Bullitt. You know what, though? Ford did such a good job of styling that car that I'm considering getting one anyway.

Read the rest on the TheMustangSource.com homepage. >>
DerekShiekhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 10/23/15, 05:41 PM   #2
GTR Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekShiekhi View Post

I've never had the pleasure of driving a 2008/2009 Mustang Bullitt. You know what, though? Ford did such a good job of styling that car that I'm considering getting one anyway.

Read the rest on the TheMustangSource.com homepage. >>
My friend owns one. They are a well built S197. You can't go wrong with an S197 Bullitt
GrnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/16/16, 07:57 PM   #3
Cobra Member

looks like this thread is kinda dead, but I'll reply just in case it can be revived

The 2008-09 Bullitt is for sure one of the coolest mustangs ever. I went to look at one before I bought my 2010 and that was what really hooked me on the S197 Mustang. I bought the 2010 because of Sync and the interior improvements, since my 'stang is my daily driver . . . but whenever I see a Bullitt, I question that choice.

So I say yeah, go for it, if you haven't already!
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/19/17, 01:31 PM   #4

Bump. Mine is an '09. It's been a good driver over the nearly 26,000 miles I've driven it. Bought new in April of '09. By the standards of today's Mustangs, it's slow, old, and obsolete. No problems other than routine service. The green paint sill gets comments.
pwd72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/19/17, 10:50 PM   #5
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!

Quote:
it's slow, old, and obsolete
Standards, schmandards, and when the hell did it get to be that anything over 5 years is 'old and obsolete'?

As far as slow... My '06 GT gets up to 120+ in plenty fast time. Plenty of grunt. She's fast enough for me.

Oh, and yeah, obligatory...

Last edited by houtex; 7/19/17 at 10:54 PM.
houtex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7/19/17, 11:53 PM   #6
GT Member

Sure when you look at the 2011+ mustang/camaro/challenger the 05-10 mustangs are "slow", but if you look at all of the other 2 dr, rwd sports cars under $40k they are still competitive, and only obsolete in creature comforts.
fourdegrees11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/20/17, 06:59 AM   #7
Post *****

slow maybe but still quick enough to get a speeding ticket between red lights. I think most people with 4 and 500 hp cars never use all that power.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/20/17, 01:02 PM   #8
GTR Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourdegrees11 View Post
Sure when you look at the 2011+ mustang/camaro/challenger the 05-10 mustangs are "slow", but if you look at all of the other 2 dr, rwd sports cars under $40k they are still competitive, and only obsolete in creature comforts.
My 2006 GT premium was $27,110.00 MSRP.. Adding the Saleen VI S/C cost approx $5,849.. Total cost $32,959.. Case in point, my car is just as fast as any naturally aspirated 2011+ 5.0 Mustang and will hold it's own with the 2010-15 Crapmaro SS and 2008-17 Challenger R/T for well under 40k..

That being said, I totally agree that out of all the other 2dr rwd sports cars, the 2005-2010 S197 Mustangs are indeed still very competitive.. With adding cams, heads, intake and especially FI, they'll perform just as well as the 2011+ cars for far less $$$

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/20/17 at 01:06 PM.
m05fastbackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/20/17, 02:53 PM   #9
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT View Post
My 2006 GT premium was $27,110.00 MSRP.. Adding the Saleen VI S/C cost approx $5,849.. Total cost $32,959.. Case in point, my car is just as fast as any naturally aspirated 2011+ 5.0 Mustang and will hold it's own with the 2010-15 Crapmaro SS and 2008-17 Challenger R/T for well under 40k..

That being said, I totally agree that out of all the other 2dr rwd sports cars, the 2005-2010 S197 Mustangs are indeed still very competitive.. With adding cams, heads, intake and especially FI, they'll perform just as well as the 2011+ cars for far less $$$
Well of course if you mod the heck out of the car it can be a lot faster, that's not what I'm talking about. Most people don't actually do that with their cars because it's a lot of money out of pocket, and there's no resell value. You can also mod the heck out of your 11+ 😉
Old 7/20/17, 09:43 PM   #10
GTR Member

Quote:
Well of course if you mod the heck out of the car it can be a lot faster, that's not what I'm talking about. Most people don't actually do that with their cars because it's a lot of money out of pocket, and there's no resell value. You can also mod the heck out of your 11+ 😉
Well clarify and be specific about your definition of being competitive towards the 2011+ models so folks know exactly what your referring to from the very start.. At any rate, my apologies for misinterpreting your post !
Old 7/20/17, 10:07 PM   #11
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT View Post
Well clarify and be specific about your definition of being competitive towards the 2011+ models so folks know exactly what your referring to from the very start.. At any rate, my apologies for misinterpreting your post !
Sorry man but if modding isn't mentioned anywhere then stock vehicles should be implied, don't you think?
Old 7/20/17, 11:31 PM   #12
GTR Member

Quote:
Sorry man but if modding isn't mentioned anywhere then stock vehicles should be implied, don't you think?
Well sorry man, but you still haven't clarified your interpretation of what exactly your referring to regarding your reference of how the 2005-2010 Mustangs remain competitive with other 2dr sport car models under 40K.. For all I know those other models could very well be modified or non-modified All I know is that I apparently misinterpreted your post.. Therefore what other 2dr sport car models under 40k are you referring to ? As far as the 2011+ Coyote Mustangs are concerned, sure they're faster over the older 2005-2010 4.6L 3valve cars, but for me even in stock form 300HP is more than fast enough for street use..

Perhaps it's just me, but what good is having 400, 500+HP if you can't even use it other than for drag racing or on a road course.. Hell I can just imagine in just a few years from now that people are going to complain that 500/700HP is too slow for god sake and Btw: most people on these forums have modified their cars in some form or another which is the main reason they seek advice and feedback from forums such as TMS to begin with.. As for your opinion regarding modding not being mentioned in this thread, just who are you to say whether it should or should not be implied ? First off, you didn't start up this thread and second, perhaps other forum members just might not interpret your opinions in the same manner as you do !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/21/17 at 12:09 AM.
Old 7/20/17, 11:47 PM   #13
GT Member

Jesus man, it seams pretty obvious that I am talking about the automotive performance (0-60, 1/4 mile etc) of 05-10 mustangs against every non mustang/camaro/challenger rwd 2dr from 2011+. I'm not trying to be a dick but there were two posts right before my initial post that mentioned "slow, old, and obsolete", and my initial post was directly referring to that trend of the discussion.

This is a pointless argument anyway. Not sure why you are so offended by opinions of 05-10 mustangs...

Last edited by fourdegrees11; 7/20/17 at 11:51 PM.
Old 7/21/17, 12:29 AM   #14
GTR Member

Quote:
Jesus man, it seams pretty obvious that I am talking about the automotive performance (0-60, 1/4 mile etc) of 05-10 mustangs against every non mustang/camaro/challenger rwd 2dr from 2011+. I'm not trying to be a dick but there were two posts right before my initial post that mentioned "slow, old, and obsolete", and my initial post was directly referring to that trend of the discussion.

This is a pointless argument anyway. Not sure why you are so offended by opinions of 05-10 mustangs...
And there are also 2 posters who disagree that their cars are slow, old and obsolete, myself included and yeah I happen to be one of those 05-10 Mustang owners who could care less about bragging rights or who's car happens to be the quickest and fastest.. As there's always going to be somebody who has a faster car over somebody else's regardless of what make, model of car they happen to own.. So yes I totally agree this is a stupid and pointless argument, as my car is more than fast enough for my purposes and for my own personal enjoyment which is all that really matters in the end.. Enough said !

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtex View Post
Standards, schmandards, and when the hell did it get to be that anything over 5 years is 'old and obsolete'?

As far as slow... My '06 GT gets up to 120+ in plenty fast time. Plenty of grunt. She's fast enough for me.

Oh, and yeah, obligatory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
slow maybe but still quick enough to get a speeding ticket between red lights. I think most people with 4 and 500 hp cars never use all that power.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/21/17 at 12:48 AM.
Old 7/21/17, 01:31 PM   #15
Mach 1 Member

I mean I think I get it. Here's my perspective:

1. You can buy a Civic, Focus, etc., north of 300 HP for under 40k. I think this sets the buyer's expectations that a V8 will bring more to the table. Remember most people do not understand torque, so by numbers, people expect like 100hp more. This makes them look old, slow and obsolete.

2. Following the above logic, a 1969 Mach I with the 428 Super Cobra Jet and its measly 335 HP is old, slow and obsolete. Similar story with the '68 GT 500 and its 360 HP. And I'd own one of those in a heartbeat.

3. It's useless to talk about modding. I've seen Pintos and Mavericks built up that could destroy my '14 GT in a drag race. Or all those Novas? And, I think my 240 HP S2000 would put my Mustang to shame on a technical road course. But I could upgrade my suspension in my GT then it's be competitive! But I could drop a turbo into my S2000 and then it'd compete with the modded GT, etc. That's why mods really don't allow for good vehicle comparisons.
berzerk_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to berzerk_1980 For This Useful Post:
m05fastbackGT (7/22/17)
Old 7/21/17, 11:11 PM   #16
GTR Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980 View Post
I mean I think I get it. Here's my perspective:

1. You can buy a Civic, Focus, etc., north of 300 HP for under 40k. I think this sets the buyer's expectations that a V8 will bring more to the table. Remember most people do not understand torque, so by numbers, people expect like 100hp more. This makes them look old, slow and obsolete.

2. Following the above logic, a 1969 Mach I with the 428 Super Cobra Jet and its measly 335 HP is old, slow and obsolete. Similar story with the '68 GT 500 and its 360 HP. And I'd own one of those in a heartbeat.

3. It's useless to talk about modding. I've seen Pintos and Mavericks built up that could destroy my '14 GT in a drag race. Or all those Novas? And, I think my 240 HP S2000 would put my Mustang to shame on a technical road course. But I could upgrade my suspension in my GT then it's be competitive! But I could drop a turbo into my S2000 and then it'd compete with the modded GT, etc. That's why mods really don't allow for good vehicle comparisons.
Well I would hardly compare an S197 05-10 Mustang or any other generation for that matter with a Civic, Focus or even a Nissan 370Z rather it has north of 300HP or not.. They're in 2 completely different classes, as it would be like comparing apples to oranges.. Therefore I have no idea as to what cars under 40k the poster in question is comparing the 05-10 Mustang with.. IMHO the 05-10 S197 GT's direct competition was the 2008- present Challenger R/T, 2010-15 Camaro SS and if I had to throw in an import, then I'd consider the Hyundai Genesis V8 coupe as being within the same pony car class as the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger.. Other than that, I can't think of any other car under 40k that would be in the same pony car class as the Mustang

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/21/17 at 11:16 PM.
Old 7/22/17, 12:47 AM   #17
Mach 1 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Well I would hardly compare an S197 05-10 Mustang or any other generation for that matter with a Civic, Focus or even a Nissan 370Z rather it has north of 300HP or not.. They're in 2 completely different classes, as it would be like comparing apples to oranges.. Therefore I have no idea as to what cars under 40k the poster in question is comparing the 05-10 Mustang with.. IMHO the 05-10 S197 GT's direct competition was the 2008- present Challenger R/T, 2010-15 Camaro SS and if I had to throw in an import, then I'd consider the Hyundai Genesis V8 coupe as being within the same pony car class as the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger.. Other than that, I can't think of any other car under 40k that would be in the same pony car class as the Mustang
Not sure what to say. People can and do compare them. They don't see pony cars, they don't see FWD vs. RWD, they see how much HP they can get per dollar for the bragging rights. We're all Mustang fans here, it's silly for us to all look at each other, bewildered, because we don't understand why the pre-Coyotes have an old and out of date perception.

I mean, even the Mustang Ecoboost is putting up numbers similar to the pre Coyote S197. For someone focused on numbers, the perception would be hard to shake. And they may not have the Mustang loyalty we have here.
m05fastbackGT (7/22/17)
Old 7/22/17, 07:02 AM   #18
GTR Member

Quote:
Not sure what to say. People can and do compare them. They don't see pony cars, they don't see FWD vs. RWD, they see how much HP they can get per dollar for the bragging rights. We're all Mustang fans here, it's silly for us to all look at each other, bewildered, because we don't understand why the pre-Coyotes have an old and out of date perception.

I mean, even the Mustang Ecoboost is putting up numbers similar to the pre Coyote S197. For someone focused on numbers, the perception would be hard to shake. And they may not have the Mustang loyalty we have here.
I couldn't agree more which is exactly the reason I don't get caught up in the who's car has the most HP per dollar, as it's nothing more than just for bragging rights.. As I mentioned before, there's always going to be someone who's car is faster over what somebody else has regardless of what make, model of car they happen to own.. Therefore what can really be accomplished by arguing over something which is totally subjective to begin with in the first place.. And for those who now consider the pre Coyote S197's as old, slow and outdated were also so superior when compared to the previous SN-95 models that were superior to the Fox body Mustangs which preceded them.. As I also mentioned before, just a few years from now people are going to consider 500-700HP is being old, slow and outdated.. So at what point does the cycle finally come to an end in which people finally realize and accept the fact their car makes more than enough power when used as a daily driver/weekend warrior

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/22/17 at 03:23 PM.
Old 7/22/17, 11:04 AM   #19
Mach 1 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
So at what point does the cycle finally come to an end in which people finally realize and accept the fact their car makes more than enough power when used as a daily driver/weekend warrior
Well, the added HP also causes driveability issues that require upgraded hardware. Eventually it won't be simple enough to add a few cubic inches or direct injection or variable valve timing to increase HP without upgrading the rest of the car which will put it into another cost class.

Or gas prices go up, or the government starts to regulate.

Best to let people spend their money and enjoy these HP wars while they're here. They're fun to watch and participate in, and I wasn't old enough to see it the first time.

Also in disclosure, I have to say the marketing worked on me 100%. The Mustang did not even have my attention until they brought the 5.0 out. But I wasn't comparing it to the prior Mustang, I just didn't know I needed a new car until I found out you can get 400+ HP off the lot. So there's even another perspective.
m05fastbackGT (7/22/17)
Old 7/22/17, 03:31 PM   #20
GTR Member

Quote:
Well, the added HP also causes driveability issues that require upgraded hardware. Eventually it won't be simple enough to add a few cubic inches or direct injection or variable valve timing to increase HP without upgrading the rest of the car which will put it into another cost class.

Or gas prices go up, or the government starts to regulate.

Best to let people spend their money and enjoy these HP wars while they're here. They're fun to watch and participate in, and I wasn't old enough to see it the first time.

Also in disclosure, I have to say the marketing worked on me 100%. The Mustang did not even have my attention until they brought the 5.0 out. But I wasn't comparing it to the prior Mustang, I just didn't know I needed a new car until I found out you can get 400+ HP off the lot. So there's even another perspective.
That's exactly what I thought when you could get 300+HP off the lot so I traded in my 93 SVT Cobra for my first S197 GT.. But since then, I've regretted ever getting rid of the Cobra..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/22/17 at 03:40 PM.