The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2007-2008 Shelby GT (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f732/)
-   -   Shelby GT is what it is... (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f732/shelby-gt-what-438739/)

AnotherMustangMan 8/11/06 11:23 PM

Haha, what will you do? Oooh noo, Doug expressed his (COMPLETELY CORRECT) opinions on an internet forum!, let's melt him down into a crappy hoodscoop. As far as offending those who made this car, how much "hard work" does it take to take credit for Ford's FRPP packages and GT/CS body kit? Aren't the Shelby badges applied with adhesive? If I'm wrong and they're screwed on, I sincerely appologize for underestimating the labor level.

burningman 8/11/06 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by amyb
You know, Doug, I gotta be honest, I really expected the level of maturity was a little higher on this board, that's why I decided to post here, But, by the post above, I can see I was wrong. This shows a total lack of respect not only for people who have worked hard to make this car "this JC whitney crap or this "AC cobra crap" but it's plain rude. And your "I expect more from a legend" crack..... let me tell you, I don't know you, but I know enough about Carroll that you couldn't spit shine his shoes!

Let me tell you boys right now, I will not allow anyone to talk to me or about my staff or more importantly Carroll in the above manner. You haven't walked a minute in our shoes and have no idea what it must be like working with a big company. I have said this before, You don't have to kiss our A$$, but you do have to be civil.

To the rest, thanks for your time, I hope I have answered and explained some missing info. I am sorry for my rant above. Have a great weekend

Amy

Excuse me for voicing my opinion. And as for spit shining shoes..well I wont go there.

And as for JC Whitney crap I said the scoop was, not the car (cobra or mustang) and if you have a problem with that then pick up a 1980's vintage JC whitney catalog and do some investigation. And as for my level of maturity well it's gots nothing to do with being honest. I guess I'll have to sugar coat everything for those with sensative ears.

So let me leave you with this...
Have a good weekend and wake up and smell reality.

AFBLUE 8/11/06 11:40 PM

I'm really embarrassed for TMS. The President of Shelby Autos is posting in here and many of us are coming across like a bunch of whinney *****y rude jerks. I thought we were a little better than that.

I honestly wonder if I do get a Shelby GT if I would even feel welcome in these forums. If I got one and get flipped off by another mustang owner, I'll probably think "must be a TMS member".

Sorry many of you don't like the Shelby GT, but it's pretty much what I've been waiting for ever since the S-197 was revealed. Only thing that concerns me is how much mark up there will be.

Big D 8/12/06 12:20 AM

I guess in the "SHELBY" world theres no room to voice ur opinion...I really think YOU should grow up....if u cant take the truth then step off....

My opinion on the GT is that they realllllyyy need more HP boost if its gona cost at least 5 grand more than a stock GT....maybe add a baby blower something cool and out of the blue....just my 0.02

burningman 8/12/06 12:53 AM

Glad you found the edit button Amy... anyway to answer your question about me being nasty. Plain and simple..that wasn't nasty. It was my opinion that i stated. If you'd like me to sugar coat my posts from now on I can do that. Or does it need to be politically correct?

I was gonna repost my previous statement all gussied up and PC'd but i'm too tired to make the effort.

Amy if you want to hash this out any further PM me about it.

anyway back on topic

Wyatt32 8/12/06 01:09 AM

Well aparently some people are mental midgets and don't know how
to express themselves with tact and forethought. I started this thread
to kind of get some people to tone down their critisism, and stress that
the Shelby GT is IMO a great effort. Like the lady said dealing with a
major car company isn't easy. I'm sure they had strict budgets, warrenty
concerns, and a ton of leagal beagals to quell before the final product
could even be appoved. I appauld an effort to bring this car to more
financialy restricted people.

Finally it seems to me that some people are fearless when anonimity
hides them but like the school yard bully face to face is whole different
story. Opinions are great. Just don't be an a$$.

sincerly Wyatt

irishfan 8/12/06 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by burningman
... I expected more from a "legend" ...

That legend is at least partially responsible for the Mustang still existing today as a continuous line with over 40 years of tradition and history. The lack of that legend is partially why the Camaro, Firebird, Chargers, and Challengers are having to be "reborn" instead of having a long, continuous history with some bumps along the way (Mustang II). The vintage Shelby Mustangs helped keep the passion alive and some of today's design elements are a reference to the old Shelbys (quarter window from '66). The importance of Shelby to the Mustang was evidenced by Ford's new relationship with him. Perhaps that was just to drive the marketing hype or maybe it was because they know that there is a real respect among Mustang fans for what he has done for this car.

People are not expecting you or others to sugar coat the criticism. I think people are asking that you be respectful so that business leaders like Amy stay involved in these boards and maybe some others will join as well. These boards (and others I'm sure) are a tremendous resource for Shelby (and Ford, Saleen, and Roush) to see what the fans and customers want. If you don't like the Shelby GT, tell them where it could be improved and maybe you will see it in 2008 or on a different model. If they still don't respond, buy a Saleen or a Roush or Ford's next SE if it is to your liking. They can't be all things to all people, but the semi-personal attacks on Carroll Shelby don't do anything to inspire that company to respond. If anything, it completely distracts them from the substance of your criticism.

Personally, I think your design of potential or "my wish" Mustangs that you have posted over the years has been fabulous. Your contributions were great during the run-up to the 2004 unveiling. Put together a comparison of what the Shelby GT is versus what it could be. Is that doing some of "their work" and giving them free ideas? Maybe. But it is a far cry better than just throwing around insults and complaints.

If none of that works, you could always wait until 2009 and buy a bowtie... :jester:

pville piper 8/12/06 07:28 AM

Amen to that Wyatt.

pville piper 8/12/06 07:30 AM

Yup, they'd look cute in a bowtie, now wouldn't they?

AnotherMustangMan 8/12/06 08:39 AM

If the Camaro comes with a 400hp LS2, IRS, weighs less than 3800 pounds, and costs around $35k (What these "Shelby GTs" will sell for), I'll gladly wear two bowties.

pitpup 8/12/06 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
I'm really embarrassed for TMS. The President of Shelby Autos is posting in here and many of us are coming across like a bunch of whinney *****y rude jerks. I thought we were a little better than that.

I'm quoting AFBLUE, but this is really directed at Doug (Burningman). Doug, if it were you and me talking on a street corner, by all means, you don't need to sugercoat it. But when the President of any company (not just Shelby Autos) takes the time to hang out on a forum and participate, then yes, I personally feel you need to step up and express yourself in a more 'business-like' manner.

In comedy, anyone can drop the F-bomb every other sentence. It's a true comedian who can express themselves without profanity and 'hold the crowd'.

You do some amazing work in the art forums. None of us see your work and say 'what a piece of sh*t', at least not in our posts. We say things like 'that doesn't work for me' or 'you might wanna try blah, blah, blah.' We don't rip you a new one.

There are ways you can let Amy know your displeasure without going for the jugular. Subtle hints will be picked up by this woman quite nicely, I can assure you.

And to everyone on TMS, remember. It's not what you say, but how you say it.

If Amy were to continue to hang out here on TMS, well. I'd be surprised. Her time could be better spent attending to personal interests/needs or if she's on the clock, company concerns.

I hope Amy recognizes this and does not continue to hang out here 'just to show everyone how thick skinned she is... that she can take the abuse.' And ladies and gentlemens, we have abused her.

I said it in another post. The almighty American dollar will prove whether Carroll and Company have taken a step in the right direction. Let that be the measuring stick to success.

In fact, I think the best thing Amy can do is to continue to read our posts as the products come out, BUT AS OF TODAY, STOP REPLYING TO ALL POSTS HERE AT TMS. That's right, just be a lurker.

She'll still get our input, but will not have to take any personal abuse. Oh sure, we may say some bad stuff about Shelby Autos, but then that could be done on ANY of the hundreds of Mustang websites. She should let us babble on but not try and single handedly guard the company image. People will say what they want to say.

Amy, it's your call. You have heard my opinion. Stay. Stop posting. Doug, if you're going to rip me a new one, this week doesn't look good. Next week is kinda busy, too. After that... rip away, dude. And NO sugarcoating!

Remember, this thread is not 'J.C. Whitney ugly'... it's... unattractive!

AnotherMustangMan 8/12/06 09:29 AM

Personal abuse? No one is saying "AmyB is an ugly spinster!"

We're just saying "Why is a GT/CS (itself a not-so-special-edition developed by Ford) equipped with FRPP packages (also developed by Ford) then badged (and priced like) a Shelby?"

If a buyer can pick one of these up for $32k, I have no problem. But I have a feeling out-of-door costs will be closer to $35-36k (the price of a then-new '04 Terminator).

Shelby isn't a "major automaker," it's a "parts (and badge) installation firm."

AFBLUE 8/12/06 10:12 AM

Why is a 1966 Mustang GT originally equipped with a K-code 289 (271hp), which was shipped to the Shelby facility, called a "Shelby"?

1. Different hood
2. Better flowing exhaust system
3. Different grille
4. Side scoops
5. 1st cars had Koni shocks but later cars retained factory suspension
6. 3M tape LeMans stripes
7. Engines modifications that improved the horsepower by 35 hp (street version).

What is the plan for the Shelby GT? See above and you are 90% there.

Original 1965 had more modifications than the 1966 but it cost more had no back seat, and was rougher to drive. "Some costly and time-consuming procedures performed on the 1965 GT-350 were the subject of customer and dealer complaints" and were removed for 1966 (Detroit rocker rear axle and extra stiff suspension).

Dealers and customers wanted these changes so that it could be serviced by a regular Ford technician. "In other words, they wanted a Mustang that was just a little bit faster than the factory's own GT option"

Sound familar? One difference is that the 1966 GT-350 costs 70% more than the Mustang GT ($2607 vs $4428).
So what would that be in today's? $44K Shelby GT.

yur1279 8/12/06 10:27 AM

I've never seen so many whiny babies in ym life. No one is forcing you to buy this car, it is just one of many new models beeing released. Hell, we could be stuck with just base models and have nothing at all.

To Amy, i'd like to personally appologise for many of the rude comments made here and want to remind you that for all the negative responses, there are many who do appreciate what you are doing. :nice:

black sunshine 8/12/06 10:29 AM

Only thing that concerns me is how much mark up there will be.

I think that concerns alot of us TMS members......maybe that's why some are so bitter. We didn't even know about this car. I just picked up a 2007 GT (which I love) intead of a GT500 that I hoped for (do to massive mark ups) Now this new Shelby GT comes out of nowhere and I can't help but think I should have waited. But then I think, well, this car aside from the "Shelby" name really isn't all that much different then my Mustang GT. And then I think that this car like the GT 500 will get marked up from dealers and I wouldn't even be able to afford it anyway..... so why should I care....it's really not all that differen't then my Mustang GT. I still think it's awesome that Ford is taking such an interest in the Mustang and Shelby is working with Ford again....The car is a great concept. Pop rivits on the scoop have to go.......I personally like the clean finish of the car.....The que ball shifter on one of the pics I saw was a nice touch though.

futuresvt 8/12/06 10:39 AM

I've got to pipe up here. I'm all for professionalism and civility and etc. and blah blah blah.

Here's the problem. I don't think there have ever been any personal attacks, at least not that I've seen. Such would be inexcusable.

What I have seen have been comments "calling a kettle black." If someone takes criticism of a product or "design" personally, then so be it, it comes with the teritory. Moreover, this is an internet forum. This is where people express their opinions. Some people say they like it. Some people say they don't.

Personallly, I like the aesthetics of the Shelby GT. :nice: I think that it is what the production GT should have looked like, with clean lines and no 4x4 approach angles. Does that make it a special car. Not in my mind. Does it make it worth whatever special price it is certain to be priced at? Absolutely not. Nevertheless, I'm sure people will buy it. As such, why should, and does, the company president care if other people don't like it. Look how many people have blasted every aspect of the GT500 on every internet board out there, myself included. However, the $20K+ ADM and complete absence of inventory GT500s indicates that there are more than enough people who like the car enough to pay $60K for one.

With that said, the GT car is no more than a quasi-homogulation of off the shelf, and already widely available, FRPP parts. You can't seriously expect to put such a thing together, attempt to sell it as a special or limited edition type vehicle with a premium price, and then not have anyone call you out on the carpet for it. To take offense at anyone's comments stating that the design lacks ingenuity is to bury your head in the sand. :screwy:

Back in the day, many of the Shelbys i.e., the GT350, were more or less aesthetic mods with limited power and handling upgrades. No one can dispute that. However, the aesthetic mods then were designed by the company and unique to the shelby. That is no longer the case. Now the Shebly GT is basically a GT/CS with FRPP packages that shoul have been standard on the GT/CS (which I know has already been pointed out).

Carroll Shelby is a legend, no question. He is also responsible for a great deal of mustang heritage and greatness. agreed. However, I am personallly dissapointed at some of the things coming from the company, as they are simply rebadged FRPP offerings. Basically, I expected more from Shelby than a repaint/rebadge and spike the price by whatever outrageous amount it will certainly be.

Granted, I like the way the car looks, but I still don't think there is anything about it that says shelby except the (vilified) cobra scoop (which I actually like) and the le mans stripes.

At this point, it seems that the legend is being trivialized and made a mockery of iteslf with each passing attempt to call an FRPP package conglomeration a limited edition Shelby. It's like watching Jerry Rice keep playing for the last few years of his career when he was relegated to 3d receiver status. He was once the best and unstoppable, but at some point it becomes emarassing. :shame:

That's just my opinion. Fire away, I won't call foul. :metal:

AnotherMustangMan 8/12/06 10:41 AM

I laugh every time someone compares modern Shelby to the 1960s company. It's like saying "So what that Shelby sucks now, they sucked back then too!"

With the exception of the GT350SR, Shelby Mustang are almost as overrated as Nissan Skylines. Second, back then aftermarket parts weren't nearly so plentiful, affordable, and easily installed as they are today, so Shelby Automotive provided a somewhat worthwhile service.

Now, not only are performance increasing goodies available, packages are made by Ford and can be installed by dealerships!

Barring badging, Shelby of today does nothing special.

And as far as your "how to be a Shelby" list is concerned, molded plastic riveted to the OEM unit does not count as "a new hood." The grille is OVERLAYED atop the stocker. And it requires alot more work and parts to extract 35 hp from a K-code than it does to get 25 hp from the incredibly conservatively tuned 3v.

With the exception of the truly ludicrous hoodscoop, I like everything done to the Shelby GT. I would just prefer to save lots of money and make it myself (or if I'm feeling lazy, have my dealership make it for me).

As far as your understanding of Shelby buyers, I think youre a little off. "They wanted a Mustang that was called 'Shelby' " might be closer to reality.

futuresvt 8/12/06 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wyatt32
Well aparently some people are mental midgets and don't know how

Opinions are great. Just don't be an a$$.

And this is simply uncalled for.

Innaccurate and uncalled for.

AnotherMustangMan 8/12/06 10:44 AM

What FutureSVT said.

futuresvt 8/12/06 11:05 AM

If you don't like the original then you wouldn't like the Shelby GT. So your viewpoint makes logical sense.

Now how did you completely change that post without it showing up as an edit???

Seriously, I don't know how to do that.