2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Shelby GT Ordered but...

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/06, 07:54 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, isn't it, how Ford charges ADMs on the Shelbys, while simultaneously having to PAY THE PUBLIC to take the rest of their product lineup off their hands (i.e. deep discounts, etc.)?
Old 12/21/06, 03:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correction: Ford doesn't charge ADM's, dealer do.....
Old 12/21/06, 05:09 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mwilson7
Correction: Ford doesn't charge ADM's, dealer do.....
Correction: Same difference in the public's eyes - and it's time Ford corporate learned that and factored it into their turnaround.
Old 12/27/06, 02:09 PM

After renting a GT-H with the Automatic and taking all things into consideration - I have decided that I would be happier with a Mustang GT 5 speed manual and have ordered exactly what I want for a lot less money. My deposit has been moved over to my new order and some lucky customer on the waiting list will be taking delivery of a white Shelby GT automatic.

I am excited for all of the future Shelby GT and GT-H owners - I think that those cars are really cool and I can't wait to see them on the road and in the showroom. There is a definite market to be had as long as the pricing is able to be justified by the person shelling out the cash. Hey, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

My plan is to take some of the things I liked about the GT-H and Shelby GT and put them into my car. It won't say Shelby or have a plaque and a pedigree or be considered as cool by some others as a "real" Shelby - but come to think of it, there are many things in life that aren't "real" that I enjoy very much.

The way I look at it, I now will have a story for my kids and nephews about the time "...I almost bought a Shelby." Similar to the kind that my Uncles told me about the '69 Z-28 or Boss 302 that they let get away. Who knows, by that time, they may have absolutely no interest in these kind of things. My Dad bought a Mustang coupe in early '65 and wished he would have waited for the fastback - well, now I guess I am fulfilling that void at least.
Old 12/27/06, 11:31 PM
FR500 Member

Any response yet from anyone at Shelby? Anybody? (crickets...)
Old 12/28/06, 09:47 PM
President of Shelby Autos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ASU05GT
These are all good points, and I have contacted the other dealers in town. I am sooo burned out of the dealer experience. My problem is that out of principle, I refuse to pay ADMs. Sure - they are helpful and friendly to start with, but once you enlighten them to their OWN products and they realize how interested you are, they pull the ADM card.

I am not going to pay $5k to someone who I needed to explain their OWN product to. Heck, the dealers around here should be paying me a consulting fee for my services of preparing their sales staff on their products.

I know Ford and Shelby's strategy is 'A Steed for Every Need'. I guess this is the dealer's way of pricing people out of the cars that people are actualy excited about, and in my case, it is working. It worked before on the TBirds and GT-500s, so why stop now?

My dealer I have dealt with since 1996 was knowledgeable, agreed to charge me MSRP, and they are delivering a Shelby GT . Because of the allocation rules, I just have to decide if the AT will work for me. I am ok with this - this is the price of not having to go through the normal dealer experience.

I rented a GT-H to mimic the car that has been ordered for me, and it is really a fun car to drive - even with the AT. (Amy, you have done a great job - if the GT-H is any indication of what is coming - we are in for some really neat cars ) I liked the suspension and the exhaust on the GT-H more than anything else - and these things can be duplicated for less money.

My job now is to decide if the 5-speed is really that important to me. If so, I will order a stock GT and put the Ford Racing parts on it myself and create my own car that exhibits the things I liked about the Shelby GT/GT-H. In the long run, a Shelby GT may be worth more, but I think that actually being able to drive a car without the heavy price of entry and minus the albatross that is 'special edition' may be the better way for me to go.
Thanks for all of your input...I apologize for the soliloquy

Thanks for the kind words

Amy
Old 12/28/06, 09:48 PM
President of Shelby Autos

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Any response yet from anyone at Shelby? Anybody? (crickets...)

not really sure what I can add here, the thread is doing ok without me, unless I missed a question, sorry

Amy
Old 12/28/06, 10:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ASU05GT
After renting a GT-H with the Automatic and taking all things into consideration - I have decided that I would be happier with a Mustang GT 5 speed manual and have ordered exactly what I want for a lot less money. My deposit has been moved over to my new order and some lucky customer on the waiting list will be taking delivery of a white Shelby GT automatic.

I am excited for all of the future Shelby GT and GT-H owners - I think that those cars are really cool and I can't wait to see them on the road and in the showroom. There is a definite market to be had as long as the pricing is able to be justified by the person shelling out the cash. Hey, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

My plan is to take some of the things I liked about the GT-H and Shelby GT and put them into my car. It won't say Shelby or have a plaque and a pedigree or be considered as cool by some others as a "real" Shelby - but come to think of it, there are many things in life that aren't "real" that I enjoy very much.

The way I look at it, I now will have a story for my kids and nephews about the time "...I almost bought a Shelby." Similar to the kind that my Uncles told me about the '69 Z-28 or Boss 302 that they let get away. Who knows, by that time, they may have absolutely no interest in these kind of things. My Dad bought a Mustang coupe in early '65 and wished he would have waited for the fastback - well, now I guess I am fulfilling that void at least.
This sound like my point of view. Build your own exactly the way you want and cheaper than having a "name". Nothing wrong with a Shelby, I just ain't payin' the money.
Besides the Shelby GT doesn't come in my color.
Old 12/28/06, 10:40 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Originally Posted by karman
This sound like my point of view. Build your own exactly the way you want and cheaper than having a "name". Nothing wrong with a Shelby, I just ain't payin' the money.
Besides the Shelby GT doesn't come in my color.
+1. I also wish all the future Shelby GT owners the best. Kevin (TMS parts guy) has got me interested in the 2008 GT/CS.
Old 12/29/06, 01:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
+1. I also wish all the future Shelby GT owners the best. Kevin (TMS parts guy) has got me interested in the 2008 GT/CS.
I know! I am waiting for him to spill the beans as well.

Not that I am going to trade in my Shelby ever but I really liked the GT/CS except the lack of performance upgrades from the factory.